Buying shares for kids

Hi all, a little while ago hubby's father passed away and the estate (just a rural house) is to be sold up and divided amongst the children. I estimate it could be about $20k for hubby's share and he doesn't really want it. Instead, we thought maybe we could buy shares for our two children and have the dividends paid into their accounts.

I called my accountant who said they can earn this year up to $1,300 each before having to pay tax. That bit sounds good but I don't know if it is possible to buy shares in my childrens name as they are under 18. Does anyone know the answer? My accountant doesn't know just offhand.

Short answer is no.
These days you need to set up an account with a broker or an online trading account.
You don't get the fancy share certificates either just an account with the number of shares you own so its really really boring.

Why not have the dividends re-invested Brenda, then when they are 18 it will/might be a nice nest egg.
If they have the d-ends now it will just be spent . What they dont have they dont miss.[aparently]
cheers yadreamin

Why not have the dividends re-invested Brenda, then when they are 18 it will/might be a nice nest egg.
If they have the d-ends now it will just be spent . What they dont have they dont miss.[aparently]
cheers yadreamin

Yeah, put them into a DRP and forget about them.

Shares In Kids Names

Hi there we went to the accountant for that the other day and our accountant said that we could indirectly.

We have to put it in the kids names with parents as trustees similar to a bank account for a young person.

Ta

POB

Yep, I got on to my broker who is setting up trust accounts for the boys.

I am not sure if an inheritance to hubby as beneficiary has to be documented into his tax return or not. Nor do I know if buying shares for kids in a trust account with the inheritance money is termed a gift to them and could be subject to tax. I have left a message with my account to call me.

cheers yadreamin

Hiya,

Reinvesting the dividends is worth looking at, certainly. Unfortunately though, it doesn't solve the income restriction issues, as they are still classed the same as if the kids had received cash.

On the other hand... if the shares are being purchased for the long term, this won't be so much of a problem just yet. Assuming dividends are the only income (ie, no interest and Brenda does not trade the shares for them ;) ), and Brenda has two kids, then each would need to be returning about 13% in the first year before it becomes an issue. Not too many shares that do that, from memory.

Of course, as dividends are reinvested, the returns increase. But, you should have some time up your sleeve before they catch up to the thresholds, particularly if they are also increasing each year.

Cheers

James.

Yeah, I was thinking something like CBA which should still be in business by the time my boys, 13 and 15, get to 18. :)
I also have to change their bank accounts for them as their old passbook accounts with $50 in them from when they were born are not attracting any interest payments nowadays.

Why don't you buy them Milton and do the DRP. The company has a great history of capital and dividend growth and has been around for nearly 70 years.

I am thinking about it myself!

Fully franked, does that mean I should also apply for a tax file number for each son and carry the credit over until such time as they actually make enough income to attract tax?

Our two children (15 & 14) each have shares which they purchased with their own money saved from birthdays and xmas over the past many years.

They each bought 100 x BHP at $17.00 ea back in June 2005 and even with the price correction over the last weeks they still have made a nice on 'paper' profit and intend to hold them (on my advice) for many years to come.

I can offer a bit of info re tax implications on children holding shares and the franking credits, although you must check out the ATO website re childrens share investments.

http://ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/11884.htm&page=1&H1

It's a great read and it should answer all your questions/concerns as it offers info regarding who's TFN should be quoted against the shares, dividends and re lodging childrens tax returns via the various links / table of contents on the right hand side of the linked page.

Also, even though their income from dividends should be under the tax free threshold for children and therefore no need to lodge a tax return, they can still lodge an application for a refund of Franking Credits for that financial year so they receive the franking credit as a full refund - there's more info (explained alot better) within the ATO link above which is specifically about childrens share investments and applying for a refund of Franking Credits.

Two other ATO publications which may be helpful in understanding the capital gains implications when shares are sold are:
Personal investors guide to capital gains tax NAT4152-6.2007
You and your Shares 2007 NAT2632-6.2007

I ordered both of the above publications free through the ATO website > booklets and publications > online ordering.

Our kids really enjoy owning the shares - they feel like enterprenurs as none of their friends have savings let alone own shares. It also gets them interested in the evening news as they wait for the finance update (just before the weather on Channel 9) to see how the BHP shares have fared for the day - (BHP for most of the time is mentioned).

They don't participate in the dividend reinvestment scheme but when the dividends are deposited into my bank acccount (as I'm the trustee for them) I immediately transfer the dividend into the kids bank account with a deposit reference of BHP dividend.
Otherwise if I hold the dividend in my bank account for my personal use - the shares are then deemed by the ATO to my mine and not the kids. (not good for tax reasons when the shares are sold due to my income.)

Note : The dividend is paid into the Trustees bank account and cannot go into the kids account directly - that's just the way all the brokering accounts have to be set up and I checked out all the online brokering accounts to see if that was possible - but it's not.

So be sure to immediately transfer any dividends received straight into their personal bank account.

I'm raving on here, but another very informative share investment site (which deals alot with resource stocks) is: http://www.eurekareport.com.au
they offer alot of free information or you can sign up for a 7 day free trial.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
I have the broker sending out forms to establish share accounts for the boys with me as trustee.
I have the You and Your Shares publication from the ato on order.
I have the boys school sending out forms for an ato tax file number.
I have the accountant checking on how to carry forward franking credits until the boys have a taxable income level.
Just have to update their banks accounts now.

This is a lot of research, form filling and hassel but it is worth it for me because its for my kids. :)

PS: Last nite I printed out share charts, some going back to 1992, in line graph form for each company we have shares in. Hubby and I asked the youngest, which one he thought were good companies according to their graph and whether the shareprices were going to go up or down.
He uncannily spotted the weaker ones right off and got the top bluechip ones too. Scarey boy. :)

PS: Last nite I printed out share charts, some going back to 1992, in line graph form for each company we have shares in. Hubby and I asked the youngest, which one he thought were good companies according to their graph and whether the shareprices were going to go up or down.
He uncannily spotted the weaker ones right off and got the top bluechip ones too. Scarey boy. :)

Incidentally, there is a school of thought that believes kids make better (technical) share traders..... I suppose their judgement is not as impaired or clouded by other factors (fear, news etc)

Cheers,

The Y-man

To the accountants here

If the kids breach the income threshold and are paying the top tax rate, do they get to claim deductions also :D

Back