Can I make fence posts longer?

I want to fence across the back of my new IP. The posts are already there, but they're only about 4 foot high. I want the fence to be 6 feet high. Is there any way I can add a piece on to the existing posts so I can put my railings across, then my palings? Because I was thinking if I put railings across the existing posts, then longer posts, would the top part be stable enough without a railing? I hope you get what I mean!

Has anybody done this. I don't really want to dig the posts out, the ones that are there are perfectly OK.

Thanx QB:D

You could use some sturdy steel plates each side of the post to join the two posts together. Four holes in each plate, two bolts into each piece of post. It will still look pretty ugly, however.

could you put the extension piece on top then screw/bolt 3 panels of wood on each of the visible sides? just make them run the full length of the post - might be a bit weak though (maybe you can use it in conjunction with nail plates or one of the other methods described above just to hide the join)

Thanks. I thought that's maybe how you would do it. i.e. add a piece. I don't really care if it looks ugly, I will have the good side looking towards my section. The ugly side will just be facing a paper road.

Cheers QB

Hi Queen Bee, another idea, if you don't need the palings themselves to 6ft is to just drive in some 8ft star pickets beside each post and add weld joint dog wire. To hide it a bit you can get something light like a Jasmine vine growing along the top. Is a lot cheaper than timber.

Originally posted by Queen Bee
I want to fence across the back of my new IP. The posts are already there, but they're only about 4 foot high. I want the fence to be 6 feet high. Is there any way I can add a piece on to the existing posts so I can put my railings across, then my palings? Because I was thinking if I put railings across the existing posts, then longer posts, would the top part be stable enough without a railing? I hope you get what I mean!

Has anybody done this. I don't really want to dig the posts out, the ones that are there are perfectly OK.

Thanx QB:D

Hi QB

Is there any reason to do this? Will you get more rent as a result?

The way I look at it, unless I know it's gonna get me more rent, or it's dangerous. a council requirement or it will ensure a good tenant stays or add massive $ on a reval then there's no reason to spend on things like making a 4' fence a 6' one.

sorry just curious as to why you would do this work...

Cheers
N.

Asy

A paper road is a road that has not actually been built yet, but exists on the council plans. So behind my section there is actually a paper road. It's all grassed at the moment, but you can see where it would go, and there's also room for a footpath as well. I suppose it's called a "paper footpath". haha.

Nigel

I want the fence to be 6ft to deter people from jumping over into my property. Because it's quite a rural area, and the paper road is behind where the fence will be, people cut through the roads which are behind these sections. My tenant is a female by herself and it would make me feel better if there was a large fence at the back. It's got nothing to do with more rent or anything, but the property is fenced on three sides already so it will be good for me in the longrun because a fully fenced property attracts the tenants with children, which in turn will hopefully stay a while because they're hopefully more settled.

Just my theory anyway.

Cheers QB:)

Asy

A paper road is a road that has not actually been built yet, but exists on the council plans. So behind my section there is actually a paper road. It's all grassed at the moment, but you can see where it would go, and there's also room for a footpath as well. I suppose it's called a "paper footpath". haha.

Nigel

I want the fence to be 6ft to deter people from jumping over into my property. Because it's quite a rural area, and the paper road is behind where the fence will be, people cut through the roads which are behind these sections. My tenant is a female by herself and it would make me feel better if there was a large fence at the back. It's got nothing to do with more rent or anything, but the property is fenced on three sides already so it will be good for me in the longrun because a fully fenced property attracts the tenants with children, which in turn will hopefully stay a while because they're hopefully more settled.

Just my theory anyway.

Cheers QB:)

fair enuff! and now i know what a paper road is!

A paper road is a road that has not actually been built yet, but exists on the council plans.

Thanks QB,

That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure!

I thought maybe it was some freaky-wierd NZ thingy! :D

asy :D

Back