Can PM's touch tenant bond?

Hi everyone, my mum is having a bad time with one of her IP's and I wanted to ask anyone out there if they have ever experienced something similar or can offer any suggestions.
Unit at GC is rented for $400p/w, tenants have gotten behind on rent, and already used up the two weeks in adv, so PM(in his wisedom), authorised (without consulting my mother) them to withdraw 2 weeks rent from their bond, to cover the rent until last Friday, when they told PM they would be back to fix up the rent last Friday. They did a no show, so now they are behind in rent and only two weeks bond is held. When mum questioned PM as to how they could access their bond of something like late rent, he told mum that it was her fault he did it because she had complained about not getting the months rent. And on top of that he took his commision out of the two weeks bond as he called it rent and now states that they are behind in there bond. He says he has now decided that he will send them a breach, and initiate proceedings to get them out. Mum is feeling very worried as now they are not only behind but only have 2 weeks bond. Love to hear what you guys think? Any idea's? One last thing, can anyone suggest a good PM in Labrador area on the Gold Coast. Thanks

Whoa, Neko,

My alarm bells are going off !! As I understand it, a PM would have NO ACCESS to a bond unless they are a new tenant, and he (the PM) hasn't sent it on to the RTA yet. He has NO RIGHT to take money from a bond (and normally would have no access to it - except as stated above).

Note that I "believe" I'm right, but could be wrong - it just doesn't smell right to me at all that he could be allowed to do this (or even that the RTA would allow it - unless they don't know...). The Bond is there to cover damage, etc. upon the tenant's departure.

Whatever has happened, I think your last comment is very sound (i.e. find another PM) - this is not sounding good from where I sit,
he told mum that it was her fault he did it
Hmm - a real professional ..... NOT !! :eek:

Regards,

Strike 1: Letting tenant get behind in rent.
Strike 2: Taking it from bond without permission.
Strike 3: Blaming it on the landlord.

Time for a new property manager to step up to the plate.

Thanks for feedback.
is all starting to seem clearer to me.
I "trusted" this PM to look after my best interests.
now realize he is looking after his own.
will probably still be relying on him to see off these tennants though,by just keeping on his case till is resolved.
(then follow up with termination letter to him.)
don't know at this late stage how to take on these bad tenants by myself.

G'day Nekos Mum,

And welcome aboard.

Re your problem, may I suggest you start looking for other PM's anyway - right now (or tomorrow as it's Sunday). Sit down and chat with some - you might be surprised how much THEY can do to take this pain away from you now (so that you don't have to do it all yourself).

Let them handle the "moving away from the other one" and leave you to relax a bit more. After all, you thought you were paying for someone to handle tenant problems - and that IS what you are paying for. One PM has let you down - give them the flick and get things back to where they should be.

I would think that the RTA would have an interest in this first PM if they are not doing things right.....

I'm not sure that "leaving these tenants with THIS PM to handle" is the right way to go - it sounds like it hasn't worked so far....

Regards,

Back