can you really protect your assets being a male?

I ended up losing almost 70% of my assets, had to move out of home and rent a crappy unit, pay maintence, get hounded for more mone, I have put them in my twin brothers name, who is gay, and has never been nor wants to be in a stable relationship, we have a typical twins relationship,and are joined at the hip,
Sounds like a real mess and i live in a high Gay inner city Male street what happen when your brother finds some one to set-up base camp with as he will?? because from what i,ve seen over the past 23 years of living in the street Gay Men have just as many costly bust-ups as Men married to ladies and they also go down the same road..

I have lots of Islamic Female friends both here and abroad...............

Good luck with that, they mostly wear the pants in their spousal relationships

ta
rolf

Wow, I had no idea. I've never known a muslim, nor spoken to one. They don't seem to live out in the bush where I do. I'd have thought the man would be totally dominant, but there you go. I learn a lot being on here.

See ya's.

TNT, convert to Islam and marry a Muslim woman.

haha,Like i said, im only casual dating at the moment and for the last couple of years, and i want it to stay that way, im happy as it is, I have 2 great kids, a great job, and property keeps me very occupied,

unfortunately, the ones that saitsfy my criteria, I simply havent been attracted to, yet the useless ones, with no career, no personality, no assets, no plans are the ones who basically want you to marry them by the third date, which is usually the last time I see them,

im quite content with my life,and headaches, nagging, attention seeking, games, complications is not what I need nor seek

PS and I never tell them about my property investing, I just tell them I love to skydive and go to wineries

Life often works that way.............maybe you just need to broaden your horizons, and get around a different crowd generally.

ta

rolf
couldnt agree with you more

unfortunately, the ones that saitsfy my criteria, I simply havent been attracted to, yet the useless ones, with no career, no personality, no assets, no plans are the ones who basically want you to marry them by the third date, which is usually the last time I see them,

i

Life often works that way.............maybe you just need to broaden your horizons, and get around a different crowd generally.

ta

rolf

haha,Like i said, im only casual dating at the moment and for the last couple of years, and i want it to stay that way, im happy as it is, I have 2 great kids, a great job, and property keeps me very occupied,

im quite content with my life,and headaches, nagging, attention seeking, games, complications is not what I need nor seek

PS and I never tell them about my property investing, I just tell them I love to skydive and go to wineries

couldnt agree with you more

I do not find many single women in their 30s who are into property or stock market investing in a big way. There is the occasional exception. Mostly they tend to be married women, women with kids or older women.

On balance, I'd say you've got less chance of protecting your assets by putting them into your brothers name than keeping it in your own. The same laws apply to your brother in a gay relationship as they do to a hetro relationship. You've also added to complexity of giving your brother control of your assets. Unfortunately not all happy family relationships stay happy over a lifetime.

Trusts don't give you any protection in the family court and as you've pointed out, pre-nups in Australia are little use. I read something last week which is challenging their validity even further.

The best protection you can have is either by making the right choice of partner or simply not entering into a relationship that exposes you to this sort of thing. It actually amazes me how many people rush into what should be a lifelong commitment without giving it serious and objective due diligence.

The best protection you can have is either by making the right choice of partner or simply not entering into a relationship that exposes you to this sort of thing. It actually amazes me how many people rush into what should be a lifelong commitment without giving it serious and objective due diligence.

This is very difficult. The partner does not come with a compartmentalised MYOB multi-period spreadsheet with liabilities and income. It makes it hard for singles with high net worth to commit to relationships.

The double standards are crazy. I'd suggest go for full custody of the children, and ask for child support from her.

My husband (Australian) obtained sole custody of his 4 yr old son (now 21 yrs old) and the ex had to pay him child support. A whole $6 week.

I don't think either parent should get child support, and split the physical time with the children.Problem solved.Split all assets 50/50.
I know, I'm the minority here, but that's what happened with my ex (Canadian) and me.

The laws need to be changed.Defaco isn't married, nor should it get any benefits of it.
Until then...search out a frugal woman...we make better partners :)

Speaking from experience,having been married 4 (F O U R ) times,before i was 39,China has nailed this one.Kudos China.

wow! four times, dont take this the wrong way but if you make "till death do we part" promise 4 times in your adult life, then either you simply arent cut out for it or your skills in judging people is horrible

The double standards are crazy. I'd suggest go for full custody of the children, and ask for child support from her.

My husband (Australian) obtained sole custody of his 4 yr old son (now 21 yrs old) and the ex had to pay him child support. A whole $6 week.

I don't think either parent should get child support, and split the physical time with the children.Problem solved.Split all assets 50/50.
I know, I'm the minority here, but that's what happened with my ex (Canadian) and me.

The laws need to be changed.Defaco isn't married, nor should it get any benefits of it.
Until then...search out a frugal woman...we make better partners :)

yes the laws are riduculous, throw in a few sexual abuse/physical abuse claims and the male wont get any custody yet still has to pay for them,
and if it goesthe other way, maintenance is decided based upon your income, so a woman can state that even though she has been a secretary for 18-30 years old, she can claim that her career progress was cut short because she took a 5 years off for having a child,

but yet when it comes for her to pay, she doesnt have to pay because she has been fluffing around and not developed her career hence childsupport should be $6 per week

my ideal (not ideal in practice i know) is a 50/50 custody, with no support, since I see so many cases where either partner screams black and blue that they need their kids 24/7, to get the most child support, and once the case is over,, they cant get rid of them any quicker,

then either you simply arent cut out for it or your skills in judging people is horrible

Just the way it goes i suppose,nothing to do with judging people,just a case of things change..The point i should have made is sucess came from later life,as China suggests,if seperation was on the cards today,i would be very very nervous.

My friend paid off his first home when he was 20. He later married and divorced, so he has a mortgage for half his house again. He is scared of losing the other half so won't let his girlfriend move in. I don't know how true it is but people have been telling him that he could still lose half his assets if they were to split up.
I bought my first property when I was 20 and had it half paid off within a couple of years. When dating I would make out I was just renting. I guess it would be harder to hide what assets you own in long term relationships. Actually, I ended up marrying my flatmate from 18 years ago. I couldn't have predicted that one as we were living together before we were going out together, I guess you never know what the future may hold.

What do you mean about the pre-nups not Being an option? My friend is a solicitor who has accumulated some wealth and has just started a relationship. Her partner hasn't many assets so has agreed to sign a pre-nup. As she has knowledge from the law field I'd assume it must be a good option.

wow! four times, dont take this the wrong way but if you make "till death do we part" promise 4 times in your adult life, then either you simply arent cut out for it or your skills in judging people is horrible

yes the laws are riduculous, throw in a few sexual abuse/physical abuse claims and the male wont get any custody yet still has to pay for them,
and if it goesthe other way, maintenance is decided based upon your income, so a woman can state that even though she has been a secretary for 18-30 years old, she can claim that her career progress was cut short because she took a 5 years off for having a child,

but yet when it comes for her to pay, she doesnt have to pay because she has been fluffing around and not developed her career hence childsupport should be $6 per week

my ideal (not ideal in practice i know) is a 50/50 custody, with no support, since I see so many cases where either partner screams black and blue that they need their kids 24/7, to get the most child support, and once the case is over,, they cant get rid of them any quicker,

My husband was accused of abuse...and eventually won custody, when it was proved the ex lied. It cost $$$$$ bigtime. Just to let fathers know...sometimes justice is served.The mother hasn't bothered to see the son since 2004.

Anyways..good luck :)

My friend paid off his first home when he was 20. He later married and divorced, so he has a mortgage for half his house again.
and Idont blame him for it,its just amazing how despite women having a higher attendance at university, and having higher grades in high school and uni,that most of them end up broke and spending them all on themselves, and yet men are expected/judged on how much they can bring in,
sure in the 50s 60s were basically women werent allowed to work or would get paid 1/3 of a man, then the silly laws would be more appropriate

is this selfishness or laziness or a sense of entitlement by the women of today?

What do you mean about the pre-nups not Being an option? My friend is a solicitor who has accumulated some wealth and has just started a relationship. Her partner hasn't many assets so has agreed to sign a pre-nup. As she has knowledge from the law field I'd assume it must be a good option.

Id suggest she recheck the prenup laws, or maybe she is in a different field to family/divorce law

prenups are a relatively new thing in the USA and even newer in Aus, we also have a BFA binding financial agreement option, however,a judge can overturn a prenup, im not too sure about whether a BFA can be overturned or is harder to overturn, if they feel its not fair or not appropriate,
in other words its not worth the paper its written on,

mix in a few bitter divorce lawyers, and you might as well write a cheque for $500k to the woman

My husband was accused of abuse...and eventually won custody, when it was proved the ex lied. It cost $$$$$ bigtime. Just to let fathers know...sometimes justice is served.The mother hasn't bothered to see the son since 2004.

Anyways..good luck :)

thats good to hear justice prevailing for once, congrats!!!

Also sad to hear that it also cost $$$$, why can it not be like civil law, where the party thats been proven as the wrong doer has to cough up the legal costs?!?!?!

or that case a couple of years ago where a mother deliberately lied about who the father of her child was, and simply chose the most vulnerable male she had relations with, he paid child support until he was 14, and then found out that he wasnt the father for some reason, took her to court, judge ruled she was at fault, but since it had already been spent,she did nt have to pay him back!!! I wish I Could spend all my rental income and default on my mortgage and keep my house!

Just the way it goes i suppose,nothing to do with judging people,just a case of things change..The point i should have made is sucess came from later life,as China suggests,if seperation was on the cards today,i would be very very nervous.

on a more light hearted note,
how on earth did you afford 4 weddings before 39, that means a wedding every2.5-3 years!! :)

This topic has a very gender biased heading. It sometimes happens the other way around. My advice is the same as several others, look forward, not back. It was only $50,000 anyway you can make that back in a few years with wise life and investing decisions. It would be sad to never get into a relationship for fear of it breaking up. I wouldn't want to live like that.

As far as asset protection goes - I don't think there is anything totally 100% safe. Look into the "trust" set ups. I have a binding financial agreement with my partner, but even they are not watertight.

FY1 While I am going forward both professionally and financially my ex seems to be "pi@@sing his money into the wind". Never one to look at others misfortunes negatively but sometimes one can get satisfaction from achieving something more positive ;)

is this selfishness or laziness or a sense of entitlement by the women of today?

Id suggest she recheck the prenup laws, or maybe she is in a different field to family/divorce law

prenups are a relatively new thing in the USA and even newer in Aus, we also have a BFA binding financial agreement option, however,a judge can overturn a prenup, im not too sure about whether a BFA can be overturned or is harder to overturn, if they feel its not fair or not appropriate,
in other words its not worth the paper its written on
I know plenty of women who have had the same treatment from there ex husband.

My friend isn't in family/divorce law, would like to know who she got her advice from, will look into it.

Back