Carbon tax

the next question is??? how do the Lib's recover from this?? Can they really cancel any carbon tax??

Given that Julia's tax reform's take effect from July 2012 and the next election is not until (at the latest) Nov 2013..can the Liberals change the tax scale back??

If they can't get tax from "the people" where does the money come from??

A Liberal govt would only be able to get rid of the carbon tax if the Greens no longer controlled the balance of power in the senate.

So for all Abbott's tough talking, he can't do anything unless he has control of the senate. Which he may have after the next election, we'll have to wait and see.

The thing that gets me is that Tony is promising to keep the tax cuts, scrap the carbon tax and still have bigger surpluses. Not sure how he'll do that.

I think it is a start if the balance goes back into clean energy development the way it's suppose to.

Isn't that 13 billion or somewhere in that region and isn't that yearly . Just imagine what that will do for clean energy. So if that angle alone eventuates , it's a good thing.
But , companies shouldn't even be aloud to put up their prices supposedly compensating the CT , they've been sneaking in huge price rises for the last 3 or 4 yrs anyway snowing the lot of us while we're confused and being told left and right about power crisis's and bs.
How could there even be a crisis or shortage yet ? the populations only risen a couple of million and in the meantime they've been whacking up wind farms, gas fired and solar all over the place .
We've probably got more power than ever right now !

The other point is , right or wrong , if Abbot gets in he undoes billions spent on the NBN and , whacks up 1000's of new phone towers instead , because this is his so called answer to speeding up our net.
And , one of his biggest answers to pollution and it should be scaring the hell out of the lot of us , is to capture it and pay farmers to store it in the bloody ground under our farmland instead - I mean WTF !

And , as far as waiting on the rest of the world goes , as in business or life , it's the one the moves ahead of the pack that will end up being admired , looked at and come to for the future.
Makes no difference what the rest of the worlds doing , do something good with your own country and it can only end up paying big time so , aahh , don't like that one either.

Cheers

Tony Abbott's past as a climate change "weather vane" has come back to haunt him - again.

The Opposition Leader has been shown spruiking a carbon tax in an old interview that was aired on Q&A on ABC Television yesterday.

"If you want to put a price on carbon, why not just do it with a simple tax?" Mr Abbott argues...

Tony Abbott's comments on carbon tax..

Tony:

"Why not ask electricity consumers to pay more, then at the end of the year you can take your invoices to the Tax Office and get a rebate?

"It would be burdensome - all taxes are burdensome - but it would certainly ... raise the price of carbon without increasing in any way the overall tax burden."

The interview was filmed in 2009, the same year "weather vane" Mr Abbott reneged on his support for an emissions trading scheme, which ultimately cost his predecessor, Malcolm Turnbull, his job.

From 'simple carbon tax' to 'simple and emotive fearmongering'-because he honestly has nothing else to offer, nor knows what or how to respond otherwise...such a disappointment policy and idea wise, and the carping, harping negativity ....is:confused::eek: OLD hat.

How is the carbon tax Labor hysteria?

All it is, is a needed $23 per tonne tax on the heaviest polluting companies/industries, with plenty of allowances and compensation. the only reason Crazy Tony is carrying on like a lunatic is because its Labor policy and implementation. And the Australian public is buying his madness hook, line and sinker. Whats that about sheep? (and penguins)

You're just buying the Liberal hysteria/scare tactics (as are most of the public, that's what its designed for). You guys sound a bit scared. Things will be alright.......promise....

The Carbon Tax is hysteria for the simple reason that it is waaaaay to complex. If it were a simple and straightforward tax on carbon, I don't think people would be as concerned. But it's been dressed up with income tax changes, welfare changes, exemptions, and who knows what else the accountant will turn up when the actual legislation is passed.

I'm not particularly interested in what the Libs think - they aren't the ones pushing this through. Accusations of 'buying the scare tactics' do your argument no favours, either.

The Carbon Tax is hysteria for the simple reason that it is waaaaay to complex. If it were a simple and straightforward tax on carbon, I don't think people would be as concerned. But it's been dressed up with income tax changes, welfare changes, exemptions, and who knows what else the accountant will turn up when the actual legislation is passed.

I'm not particularly interested in what the Libs think - they aren't the ones pushing this through. Accusations of 'buying the scare tactics' do your argument no favours, either.

A rationalisation for liberal scaremongering.:)

VY, you've been punked!

Youre missing an important point. There are plenty of people who dont buy the typical Tony Abbott/Liberal hysteria and actually agree with the carbon tax.

Who are "all these people" you speak of?

Love the substance in your response... you know, name-calling / labelling / stereotyping / generalising etc.

So let's go back to talking about how the "carbon tax" (if it should be called that rather than the "wealth redistribution tax policy") is a wealth redistribution policy and doesn't do much to curb emissions.

Great post OO. You hit the nail right on the head. I'mm surprised the public is buying his madness. He has nothing, no policy, no alternatives, except opposing every single thing Labor does. (even if he has supported it previously)

This country believes anything, we truly are a bogan nation.

Tony Abbott's comments on carbon tax..

Tony:

From 'simple carbon tax' to 'simple and emotive fearmongering'-because he honestly has nothing else to offer, nor knows what or how to respond otherwise...such a disappointment policy and idea wise, and the carping, harping negativity ....is:confused::eek: OLD hat.

i was saying if Tony wants to get in, he just has to come up with a different solution.

unfortunately i think we still have "children overboard" campaign writers on board.

I never said i was deep. but i'm profoundly shallow. What you talking about substance? Yours wasn't a shining example.

Wealth distribution is a by product of the scheme. How else to tax polluting companies and compensate the community for the inevitable price rises?

Love the substance in your response... you know, name-calling / labelling / stereotyping / generalising etc.

So let's go back to talking about how the "carbon tax" (if it should be called that rather than the "wealth redistribution tax policy") is a wealth redistribution policy and doesn't do much to curb emissions.

It is complex because it needs to be. And it needs to be because corporations will put up prices to compensate for the carbon tax, you and me will need to pay these higher prices and the government is trying to compensate us for these increased prices.

Can i ask why are you debating this if you dont get this fundamental issue?

I never said i was deep. but i'm profoundly shallow. What you talking about substance? Yours wasn't a shining example.

Wealth distribution is a by product of the scheme. How else to tax polluting companies and compensate the community for the inevitable price rises?

Wealth distribution is the intention of the scheme. The scheme will not reduce carbon emmisions one iota. If anything it will increase them as jobs and manufacturing move to other countries who don't have the stupid tax.

I mean even NZ has it in yet the planet wouldn't even know NZ was there. At least it's a start , you can't just keep letting these mobs stink the place up and shove it under ground in farmland .

There's gonna be a lot of other flow on effects from this to don't forget.
Companies will aim at cleaning up and eventually down to zero or close because - no ct = profit and they do love that stuff.
Then look at how the population will get fed up with paying their outrages power bills - how many will just say stuff this for a joke and go solar , we have.
We've just bought our new house - well our old reno needed new house and if they think I'm gonna keep handing over $1,000s a yr just for power , forget it :D
Settlements at the end of the mth and I've got solar on it's way as we speak.
I'm not paying their ridiculous water bills any more either , we've bought out of town zone and I've got a beautiful big concrete tank that gives me all we need and then some for free.
We've had to knock back 3 houses before this one because they were still on town water even though they were out of town - they can shove their money hungry mitts back to where the sun don't shine I reckon , none of them are bleeding me dry any further if I can help it .

Cheers

That is ridiculous. Why would the govt implement a convoluted, hard to push through carbon tax scheme to simply distribute wealth. More unbased Liberal madness methinks.

Wealth distribution is the intention of the scheme. The scheme will not reduce carbon emmisions one iota. If anything it will increase them as jobs and manufacturing move to other countries who don't have the stupid tax.

Great post OO. You hit the nail right on the head. I'mm surprised the public is buying his madness. He has nothing, no policy, no alternatives, except opposing every single thing Labor does. (even if he has supported it previously)

This country believes anything, we truly are a bogan nation.

Ahh evand. Believe me, I'm quite happy about all this. The higher income earners are not the ones that are going to be impacted the most by the Carbon Tax and Labor in general. It will be the lower income, more Labor voting public.

Anyway, just made $2000 this morning by trading on some companies that will benefit from this Carbon Tax. This offsets 2yrs of Gillards Carbon Tax impact to my household. And I expect a bit more when the hit miners recover later in the day. The rich get richer :D, while the plebs struggle with rising costs. I love it.

Cheer evand. Keep the green madness coming. There is money to be made from it.

Why would the govt implement a convoluted, hard to push through carbon tax scheme to simply distribute wealth.

Can I ask why you are debating this if you don't understand this fundamental issue ??

As one of the posters on here has as their footer "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on the support of Paul".

That is ridiculous. Why would the govt implement a convoluted, hard to push through carbon tax scheme to simply distribute wealth. More unbased Liberal madness methinks.

Nothing to do with what colour you follow. It makes no sense if you look at it from a carbon emission point of view so if that is not the reason what is it?

ewwww....$2000!!.....you magnate you. :D

Ahh evand. Believe me, I'm quite happy about all this. The higher income earners are not the ones that are going to be impacted the most by the Carbon Tax and Labor in general. It will be the lower income, more Labor voting public.

Anyway, just made $2000 this morning by trading on some companies that will benefit from this Carbon Tax. This offsets 2yrs of Gillards Carbon Tax impact to my household. And I expect a bit more when the hit miners recover later in the day. The rich get richer :D, while the plebs struggle with rising costs. I love it.

Cheer evand. Keep the green madness coming. There is money to be made from it.

And you borrowed this gem from evand, with no acknowledgement. You plagiariser of the left wing you.

Can I ask why you are debating this if you don't understand this fundamental issue ??

As one of the posters on here has as their footer "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on the support of Paul".

As for the 2nd part of your post, exactly what Liberal does, in fact every party does it. But its not relevant in this debate.

Back