Carbon tax

So you can see that a $45/tonne carbon price would make a big difference in the wholesale electricity market (all but knocking out coal), while only making a small % difference to electricity prices to consumers.

From what I have seen, this is where most of the debate gets confused...

seems like 40-45% increase - not exactly small......

Mcc was one of my trades just as the crash hit . It was only suppose to be a 2 or 3 day hold but that was long enough right at that point to do a fair bit of mooler.
If only I'd held instead , always easy to say though after the fact ain't it.

Cheers

Going off topic a bit here, but did anyone else notice how awfully bad Labours first day out pitching the tax was covered by the media.

Not sure if it was due to the Labour media minders bungling or the media having a cheap jab. But this is what I saw on Monday, was a good laugh;

1. Julia holding some red headed baby out in the burbs and some random yobbo yelling out Great work on the carbon tax.

2. Wayne Swan in front of a dumpster truck. I had no idea what he said all I caught in the multiple shots of this I saw was Wayne swan going out of focus as the cameraman focused on the dumpster emptying the trash.

3. A 5 second snippet of Rudd talking in Mandarin.

4. Penny Wong getting the figures wrong ($18 Blillion) on talk back, being corrected by that toffy liberal guy ($21 billion) (who also apparently got the figure wrong ($25 billion apparently).

With friends like these the Greens have got to wonder who needs enemies :D

2. Wayne Swan in front of a dumpster truck. I had no idea what he said all I caught in the multiple shots of this I saw was Wayne swan going out of focus as the cameraman focused on the dumpster emptying the trash.

Hopefully that is analgous to what the Australian people will do to him at the next election. I suspect it is.

yes, at $23/t. funny how it's a close, round figure; being $23/t = 23% increase....

at $45/t it's more like the example you quoted.

Ummm, no...

At $45/tonne, the increase is 245/200 = a 22.5% increase.

At $23/tonne, it would be roughly half that, or circa 12% on average, except for WA where Colin Barnett reckoned yesterday it will be 13%.

on top of the 20% rise for the last quarter

That was just to play catch up for the previous decade when prices hardly moved at all. It obviously had nothing to do with carbon did it? And we still get dirty old coal to boot - another step and we get a far cleaner wind / gas hybrid solution reflecting the century we live in.

Lizzie, it's a bit rich for someone receiving a subsidy equal to around $400/tonne for the solar panels on their roof to complain about a $23/tonne carbon price for the rest of us.

Just sayin' - in the nicest possible way!

:)

on top of the 20% rise for the last quarter

Keep it coming:D Expensive electricity will make people switch to green. That's the whole point I thought of all this Warming hysteria. So why are you all complaining about rising electricity costs. We should all be happy that coal burning is becoming more expensive.

Cheers

Ummm, no...

At $45/tonne, the increase is 245/200 = a 22.5% increase.

At $23/tonne, it would be roughly half that, or circa 12% on average, except for WA where Colin Barnett reckoned yesterday it will be 13%.

ah okay i get it. :eek:

sorry you mentioned $45/t and i assumed it was off that price.

cheers.

Keep it coming:D Expensive electricity will make people switch to green. That's the whole point I thought of all this Warming hysteria. So why are you all complaining about rising electricity costs. We should all be happy that coal burning is becoming more expensive.

Cheers

this cuts to the guts of it hey? to achieve carbon emissions reductions we need to lower our living standards. so the people with the prados with carbon neutral stickers on the back may need to get real and actually sell the car and walk. which really sucks if you have just built your house in the boonies. and sucks even more because when you voted labor you thought it was just everyone else that would suffer :)

Carbon Tax debate in Canberra 19 July

Lord Moncktons debate with Richard Dennis in Canberra on 19th July - Good news - ABC 1 & 24 plus Sky will broadcast live nationally next Tuesday.

Supporters for Richard Dennis have booked 120 persons . Price is $57

Canberra is a stronghold of CT and Greens. Lord Moncktons will be tested to give frank and fearless advice in the citadel of bureaucracy, currently handicapped 120-0. :eek:

Canberra is a stronghold of CT and Greens. Lord Moncktons will be tested to give frank and fearless advice in the citadel of bureaucracy, currently handicapped 120-0. :eek:

And handicapped by thousands of peer reviewed papers on climate science and terabytes of data demonstrating exactly the opposite of what he says.

We rely on scientists to dispassionately and professionally research and develop everything from microwave ovens to quartz watches to the internet, yet when they turn their mind to climate, they all suddenly turn into left wing tree hugging hippies??? :confused:

Even the Liberal party don't dispute the findings of contemporary climate science and bodies like the CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and pretty much every reputable scientific institution on the planet.

So I fail to see why a hereditary peer, with no qualifications in climate science and no evidence to support his case, should receive any special consideration in this thread or anywhere else.

And handicapped by thousands of peer reviewed papers on climate science and terabytes of data demonstrating exactly the opposite of what he says.

We rely on scientists to dispassionately and professionally research and develop everything from microwave ovens to quartz watches to the internet, yet when they turn their mind to climate, they all suddenly turn into left wing tree hugging hippies??? :confused:

Even the Liberal party don't dispute the findings of contemporary climate science and bodies like the CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and pretty much every reputable scientific institution on the planet.

So I fail to see why a hereditary peer, with no qualifications in climate science and no evidence to support his case, should receive any special consideration in this thread or anywhere else.

Thanks for that HiE. Just to reaffirm, Lord Monckton has zero credibility, apart from with the calibre of Andrew Bolt's and Alan Jones's.

Back