Carpet floor vs Wooden floor

Hi would changing the carpet flooring to wooden flooring increase the value of the propery . Thoughts on this please?

Cheers b7277

I'd say maybe if
- carpet old and disgusting
- climate is warm. Many people seem to like carpet in bedrooms especially in colder places.

Is this for a rental or resale?

I am looking to rent right now and would not even consider renting a property with carpeted living areas. I truly believe that LL need to get on board with this trend. I have dismissed so many properties as rentals purely for this reason. No one wants to live with someone else's stains and filth. I have changed carpets for hard floors in the properties I own and rent out and touch wood (pardon the pun) have never had a gap in tenancy. DO IT! It's a good investment if you do it well.

Have to say depends on your audience though ...younger set like hard floors ...oldies still like carpet.

In a colder area like Canberra I like carpets in bedrooms but hard floor elsewhere.

We had a carpeted hall and lounge but with kids the carpet got damaged early on.

In a warmer area I'd go for a wood or floating floor everywhere. It's so much easier to keep clean and free from dirt damage.

What about tile floors in living areas for a rental? Wooden floors are so easily damaged. I would have thought tile would be more practical. Tenant can put down some rugs to soften it up and add their own touch??

I do polished floor wherever I can for rentals.

My new ppor has carpet in lounge/dining and bedrooms, tiles in hallway, family and rumpus.

I will be eventually replacing all but the bedrooms and rumpus with bamboo flooring. I prefer carpet in bedrooms, and the rumpus is to be converted into a cinema/hifi room so it will be carpeted too.

What about tile floors in living areas for a rental? Wooden floors are so easily damaged. I would have thought tile would be more practical. Tenant can put down some rugs to soften it up and add their own touch??

+ 1 on damaged floors.

On our PPOR (now rented) we got Sydney Blue Gum hardwood floors throughout living areas, polished and have the hardest wearing finish we could get (same finish as commercial areas) and they still scratched up pretty easily.

After ten years we plan on getting them sanded back and refinished.

On our second property (an older property), the floors are actually nice old hardwood and would polish up great (have carpet on top). BUT I chose to stick with existing carpet until time to replace. Even in that case we might just recarpet over the top of the wooden floors.

Agree on the points that in colder areas carpet makes the house feel warmer (even if it isn't), and in warmer areas tiles/wooden floors appear cooler.

For a rental I would not consider installing hard wood floors due to higher cost per square meter and are easily damaged. That is unless you were looking to do a top end renovation and your target market is more upmarket.

I am looking to rent right now and would not even consider renting a property with carpeted living areas. I truly believe that LL need to get on board with this trend. I have dismissed so many properties as rentals purely for this reason. No one wants to live with someone else's stains and filth. I have changed carpets for hard floors in the properties I own and rent out and touch wood (pardon the pun) have never had a gap in tenancy. DO IT! It's a good investment if you do it well.

Wood floors are much more expensive per square meter. Plus they get damaged much quicker and more easily than carpet.

You need to ensure you have felt on the bottom of furniture to avoid big scratches, and tenants aren't going to care about the condition of your wood floors when they leave.

Unless you are talking about floating floors. In which case I would choose tiles over floating floors.

I live near the hills in Melbourne and normally it is cold. However I kept carpet only for my bedrooms as it preserves the insulation to some extent. Everywhere else, it is wooden floor. Wooden floor is easy to maintain and clean. Carpet also gives allergy etc. to lot of people!

Back