Carpet to Tiles

Hey guys. Bought my new house a little while ago and everything except the wet areas are carpet. Now the carpet is in fairly good condition but I have not yet decided whether I want to rent the house or keep it as my PPOR

So I was just wondering; will tiling my house add much value to the house?
Will tiles be better rent wise? Rental return / easier to find tenants?

I am able to do the tiling myself, so I would not have to pay for labour, only materials.

I've had a chat to some people and they say, leave the carpet if you're going to rent it and let the tenants destroy it.

I am confused :(

Input is appreciated, thankyou.

If you are going to rent it I would leave the carpet in and let that get worn out - you can always tile it then.

If you are going to live there, then do what you would like to live with.

Carpet gives you a decent depreciation benefit.
Also, you will find most tenants prefer carpet over tiles. The argument being that they find tiles "cold" and "noisy". I've rented out both types of floor covering and that's the feedback I've got. Nobody ever complains about carpet.
As Rugrat says, if it's your PPOR, do what you like.

And another thing to consider in a rental:

Ever tried to replace a broken/chipped tile in the middle of a room after it is down?

Virtually impossible.

I'm tiling atm purely because my floors aren't level enough for carpet/laminate floors, and one of the rooms I'm tiling has not only a fireplace (the old carpet had some very bad burn marks) but 4 doorways (the old carpet had really bad dirty/worn tracks between the doors). Tiling in this instance is actually more expensive than carpet would have been, but the floor is considerably more level now post-tiling than pre-tiling and it does look really good.

Ever tried to replace a broken/chipped tile in the middle of a room after it is down?

Virtually impossible.

Agree completely.

I'm tiling atm purely because my floors aren't level enough for carpet/laminate floors, and one of the rooms I'm tiling has not only a fireplace (the old carpet had some very bad burn marks) but 4 doorways (the old carpet had really bad dirty/worn tracks between the doors). Tiling in this instance is actually more expensive than carpet would have been, but the floor is considerably more level now post-tiling than pre-tiling and it does look really good.

And I thought carpet was most easy thing to do on floors where level is an issue, followed by laminate floors and the least tiling. :confused:

Carpet gives you a decent depreciation benefit.
Also, you will find most tenants prefer carpet over tiles. The argument being that they find tiles "cold" and "noisy". I've rented out both types of floor covering and that's the feedback I've got. Nobody ever complains about carpet.
As Rugrat says, if it's your PPOR, do what you like.

Yes, but these are Brisbanites..... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I'm actually having a floor covering dilemma at the moment. The current carpet is stained, seriously stained, master bedroom, lounge and family rooms are awful.

I'm also having a bit of trouble renting it this time around and I'm thinking it's due to the carpets, which is the most serious of it's current problems.

I'm debating whether I leave it and reduce the rent and get someone in who doesn't care (that's a given), redo the carpets, put something else down, e.g. wooden floors, or just cover the carpets with rugs.

Anyone got any advice?

I'm debating whether I leave it and reduce the rent and get someone in who doesn't care (that's a given), redo the carpets, put something else down, e.g. wooden floors, or just cover the carpets with rugs.

Anyone got any advice?

Been there. Got a tenant who didn't care. Then the carpet started to break down after a while and I had to replace it. Would have been way better off doing it before he moved in. Big hassle and more $$ doing it when occupied. Can't put his rent up mid term, so I regret what seemed like a good decision at the time.
For what's it's worth, I vote to replace carpet now and get improved rental. Might be a good time to do some other bang for buck repairs or improvements, too.

And I thought carpet was most easy thing to do on floors where level is an issue, followed by laminate floors and the least tiling. :confused:

Level as in a gradual slope sure, go carpet. I have undulating floors. Up here, down there, if you stretch carpet over a floor like that you step on it and it goes down by an inch, which feels really peculiar. Got carpet in the bedrooms but they are much flatter than the sitting room for some reason.

There was carpet in there before I tiled but it was the sort with no underlay that is glued to the floor, so the room had the look of a landscape as seen from a plane (all those little hills) but grey and with 4 brown trails across it from door to door. NOT a good look.

I had a very large rug covering it for the last 6 years.

Level as in a gradual slope sure, go carpet. I have undulating floors. Up here, down there, if you stretch carpet over a floor like that you step on it and it goes down by an inch, which feels really peculiar. Got carpet in the bedrooms but they are much flatter than the sitting room for some reason.

I had a similar issue in my PPOR. The floor had tiles which had cracked and there was a significant level issue in one part of the house. It was a significant area and instead of taking out all the tiles, I simply did laminate flooring over it. And in kitchen I removed the tiles which were laid over masonite :confused: and retiled over tile underlay. All seems well now but for the area where there was a significant level issue. Though I had used floor leveller there because it was a significant slope, you can feel the sudden slope when you walk over it. On the hindsight, I think I should have got the piers shimmed to level. :mad:

I spoke to my pm yesterday about this very subject. My flats have carpet in them and it is very old and dingy apparently. They would like to lift the level of tenant and suggested tiling instead of replacing carpet.

Personally I would never have tiling in a ppor as is it very hard on your feet, but it is easy to look after. I asked if lino would be better, but they said that it gets damaged too easy too.

Also, as the flats are in a hot region, tiling helps keep the temp down. I think I'll compromise and maybe do tiling in the living areas and carpet or lino in the bedrooms?

If you're going to go down the new carpet route, I'd suggest asking the supplier about "tenant carpet". It's indestructable and you can actually clean it with bleach. Put it in one of my IPs a couple of years back - looks good and the tenants love it.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Has anyone put floating floors in a rental?

How does laminate flooring hold up in a rental property, surely not as hard wearing as timber floors or tiles, but better than vinyl and carpet?

I'm going to do some pricing this week but interested in peoples experience with them so far.

Cheers,
gooram

We have a floating laminate floor in our own house and have just laid one in a rental. In our own house it has held up pretty well, a few small scratches if you drag things across it, but most marks clean off easily.
Can't yet report on the rental as it is so new, hardly even walked on yet.

Really cheap though ........ $14 sqm, includes underlay. I laid it myself, fairly easy to do.

Though I haven't had any issues with Laminate flooring on rentals, I think it is recommended that any liquid spillage be wiped off asap to prevent it seeping between joints and consequently swelling up later. I think that's why it isn't the automatic choice despite being cheap and looking good.

Having said that I also want to know how others have fared with laminate in rentals. ;)

Back