Carpeting: whole top floor

Hi,

Have just been calling around some carpet layers to see how much it would cost to re-carpet the top floor of a high-set house that has 3 bedrooms, small hallway and the lounge-dining. The size of the house is average (not small, not massive).

Opting for a dark charcoal grey colour, low-pile (as it will be tenanted), I have been getting quotes from $1700 to $4000.

One particular carpet layer provided a better service (phone, measure, general chat and interest in the work). His quote was $2100. I asked how much less if we ripped up the old carpet ourselves - he said around $75 dollars in discount. Asking how much if paid in cash, he said that the job could be done for $1700 in cash (paid upon job completion).

Does this sound reasonable? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of. I'm sure a lot of people on here have recarpeted properties, just wondering what your experiences are.

Fenix,

The price of the carpet sounds about right.

The discount of $75 for ripping it up yourself sounds too cheap - but taken together with the total price is a non-issue.

Pitfalls: Paying cash means no receipt and no receipt means no ATO claims for some kind of tax deduction if its an IP. If its a PPOR - then you don't need a receipt.

I'm ignoring the argument about a black, underground cash economy and all its associated pitfalls.

Aimjoy

$1700 is for the carpet and the labour of course. It's a PPOR with 2 storeys (no internal stairs).

We are not looking to claim a deduction, although are you able to claim deductions before it is turned into an investment property. I guess it's like preparing it for IP.

$400 discount for paying in cash - I wasn't expecting such a difference.

$400 discount for paying in cash - I wasn't expecting such a difference.

Well your right - most of the subbies only drop off 10% for cash - which is only the GST they will not be paying.

In reality because they are not putting the cash sale through their business as income AND also typically claiming the cost of the materials through their business the deduction for cash should be a lot greater (no tax on income + all costs as a deduction against other invoiced income)

Anyhows - I think you got a good deal :)

Aimjoy

Cool. I rang around a few places looking for what sounds like both good service and good value for money.

I'll post some before and after shots if anyone is interested. Should be done by end of next week.

Cheers.

If it helps, I've got some quotes around $30 per square meter for new carpet (synthetic) laid, including underlay. They charge about $3 per meter to remove and dispose of the old stuff. The most I've been able to knock of the price of the new stuff is about $6 per meter...

Back