Cashless in Korea... bring it on!

I used the octopus card in honkers at christmas and was very impressed
at trains you swipe on and off every where else it was just swipe to get on.
used everywhere from maccas to 7-11 and all public transport
each card required a 50HK$ deposit.

over here we have to reinvent the wheel and a system in Sydney would not be valid anywhere else. how about the states get their sh*t together and implement one intergrated system, that works in another country, here in oz.

How gun is the Octopus card hey Monty?? It makes buying stuff and travelling in HK a breeze.

It would really work wonders in sydney. Also for Melbourne (esp on trams)

but HK and Japan speeds of use are incredible.

here in OZ we get one transaction per 5sec block - it's like our broadband speed. i swear we get more like greece and italy every day.

Why should I give my hard earned $50 to a company who will keep the interest earned on it along with everyone elses' $50? This same company will probably also impose an expiry date on my own money's use afterwhich they will conveniently confiscate the remainder including the interest earned on my money into their shareholders pockes? All this for the sake of my convenience? No thanks.

Last edited:
Why should I give my hard earned $50 to a company who will keep the interest earned on it along with everyone elses' $50? This same company will probably also impose an expiry date on my own money's use afterwhich they will conveniently confiscate the remainder including the interest earned on my money into their shareholders pockes? All this for the sake of my convenience? No thanks.
So just to clarify: are you for or against? :D

Superb,

Not all cards have $50 limits and the phone scanners can be linked to bank accounts etc. But why use them?

Probably for the 5%, 10%, 20% discounts you can get using them. Expressway Tokyo to home costs around $500 return but wait there's more my card gives a 50% discount during non peak times. Just saved $250. How much money in the bank do I need to earn $250 in interest.

It's HK$50 for the octopus card which is about AU$9.90 at current x-rates or US$7.75. So your 'hard earned' $10 would get 2% interest in the bank and return you 20 cents a year in interest, or .0038 cents a week.

It's been around for years and is such an amazingly great system it doesn't surprise me the Oz govt won't implement it here. You can top it up at any 7/11 or can arrange for your bank account to do an automatic top up when it gets below a certain level.

It won't work as long as there are shops with signs that say 'cash only'! and there will always be.

always better to have a small amt of cash with you. I am quite happy with the system here. Firstly, the public transport is ***** and not that many ppl use it compared to HK and Sth Korea. It's only a bit handy to have your public transport and atm card in one so you can stop having to buy transport cards. Being able to buy stuff at small convenience stores with your Go Card/Octopus card will just entice you to spend more money when you normally don't.

Maybe it will work in Sydney where you can get by without a car and it's more convenient to use public transport.

It won't work as long as there are shops with signs that say 'cash only'! and there will always be.
Not if I ruled the world: cash would be gone and electronic would be the only method of transacting anything. :cool:

(Ducks for cover, awaiting the flames from the "cash is cool; the government is just trying to track me and monitor my movements" brigade... :p Sorry, I'm just feeling in a ****-stirring mood.)

that's cos they don't want people paying for stuff with their chequebook or c/c and incurring merchant costs. I reckon these shops would be the first in line to sign up such a system if the Oz govt had the brains to implement it. We truly are the dumb country in regards to technology and telecommunications but that's what happens when you live at the arss end of the world.

It's only a bit handy to have your public transport and atm card in one so you can stop having to buy transport cards. Being able to buy stuff at small convenience stores with your Go Card/Octopus card will just entice you to spend more money when you normally don't.

that's the whole idea, to pay for stuff that costs less than about $20: stuff like transport, drinks, ciggies, newspaper, snacks etc. It will not encourage people to buy stuff they don't need. Those sort of people are doing it anyway. I don't think you understand the concept if you are making such remarks.

I've used the Octopus card in HK and it is handy but then majority of the population travels on public transport. But I am 100% certain that HK would never be a cashless society. Asians are well known for keeping stash of cash under the bed than at the bank, especially the elderlys. They will always have money on them even with credit cards, atm cards and octopus cards. What about places like ladies market, roadside stalls etc? it will never be a cash less society.

Infact, I can get away with less cash in my bag here in Brissy than HK since most shops accept eftpos.

I use EFTPOS all the time, rarely have $100 cash on me... Nto all places accept it though, not even c/cards, as I found at Christmas time on a work lunch, when we all had to dig out cash to pay for the bill and claim it back from work ! At least the guy at the restaurnt was cool about it, toold us to make it $300 from nearly $350.. I gave him $320, he told me to wait a minute & cmae back with a bottle of red wine...

but HK and Japan speeds of use are incredible.

here in OZ we get one transaction per 5sec block - it's like our broadband speed. i swear we get more like greece and italy every day.

As in siestas in the afternoon, a love of food wine & having a good time ?

Back