Changes in the cost of living over the last ten years...

Hi All

This may be on no interest but I thought I might start and invite comments to a thread talking about changes over the last ten years in business that some of the young uns may find of interest.

This was driven by MRS 147 shredding old docs to make way for baby stuff...

Anyhow back in 1995 I was paying 75 cents a litre for petrol.

I was paying $300-$500 a month in phone calls for landline and fax only, no internet back then.

And the home I now live in sold for $75k

Now we pay $1.10 a litre for petrol

Phone bill is $79 capped mobile a month, $50 a quarter home/fax line, $39 month for broadband. So equal here.

and the home is worth last valuation $580k.

Any others who want to comment.

Peter 147

I used to pay 10c for a paddle pop when I was a kid!

I've spent $2K on my last six computers. Each time the computer is several times more powerful.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Lamb Chops

I remember driving from our house in Engadine, Sydney to Birkenhead Point marketplace to purchase lamb loin chops at $1.99kg - bought them by 20kg lot and ate them with plain steamed veg 6 nights a week. This was 1981/82. Now consider them a luxury at $14-16.99kg. At this time we had an enormous :rolleyes: $40,000 mortgage we were paying off asap.

Also husband used to bring home pay packet. Remember cash in a little yellow envelope????? He would keep $20 for himself for the week (jellybabies, coke etc) and give the rest to me to distibute. Now pocket money is much more. :eek:

bawley

Peter 147 said:
And the home I now live in sold for $75k

and the home is worth last valuation $580k.

Peter 147

Man! What a bargain! Don't suppose you know how much you would have been able to rent it for in 1995 and how much you'd be able to rent it for at it's last valuation?

HI All

Thanks for your comments.

Interesting line coming out that food, fuel have gone up but computers, AV equip, have gone down.

I paid in 1990 $2600 for a Mac Plus with 8mhz power and a 20MB external hard disk. Screen B&W and small.

My latest labtop is worth less than $2600 with all the bells and whistles.

Does this mean the increases in cost in the future will be where technology cannot improve massively. Like fuel ( it is there or not) food ( dependant of water mostly) minerals ( see fuel)

On in reverse is Coke.

You use to pay $1.20 for the big glass 1/1.25 lite bottle and now on sale they can the same at Coles. Chickens are also cheaper but I think technology re process farming has stepped in here.

Peter 147.

Last edited:
Peter 147 said:
On in reverse is Coke.

You use to pay $1.20 for the big glass 1/1.25 lite bottle and now on sale they can the same at Coles. Chickens are also cheaper but I think technology re process farming has stepped in here.

Peter 147.
375ml cans of softdrink (from the supermarket) are a little cheaper than they were. I big-note myself by telling clients that I haven't put up my prices for over 10yrs LOL

Thommo

Musical Instruments (Guitars & Amplifiers) haven't changed that much in the last 10 years.

Magazines have increased a lot.

Isn't it true that, generally speaking, products that can be categorised as "tradable goods and/or services" have gone down in price and "non-tradable goods and/or services" have risen in price?

What do these terms mean?
"A domestically produced good or service is defined as tradable if:
* it is actually traded internationally, or
* it could be traded at some plausible variation in relative prices — this includes domestically produced goods and services which replace imports in the domestic market."

Source: http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/35b008afa1aa680fca256fd90018897f?OpenDocument

So a haircut at your hairdresser is not a tradable service, and has probably risen in price, but the cost of a hammer or computer chip has gone down in price since these items are traded internationally.

I do find it very interesting how much people are willing to pay for technology and vehicular frills, but how little they are prepared to pay for water.

In the long run which is more important to our survival & which is scarcer?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Surfboards are about the same price today as 20yrs ago. so is a bottle of Bourban

I do remember about 30 yrs ago my mum would give my sister and brother and I $1 and we would split it 33cents each and buy a small can of drink a packet of chips and a small pack of chewing gum with the 33 cents.

cigarettes were about 75 cents a pack,

cheers

when i was a youngen :D (about 20yrs ago) i used to be able to buy 4 packets of juicy fruit for $1 now you can't get 2 pkts for that price

man i'm feeling a bit like an adult now - i wonder if i'll ever mature!

cheers
ecogirl

Going back a little further than the last 10 years..........

Funny, the weird things one remembers from the past! We used to be able to buy half a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk and the local newspaper for 31 cents (back in the early 70s).

Bought our first brand new 3-bed brick veneer house for $22,500 in 1974 with a $13,500 deposit. The bank was very condescending in lending us $9,000 - I was the breadwinner and supporting my student husband.

Shirley

God, a packet of twisties use to be 15c......when i was a wee boy :rolleyes:

Now...im a grown up its nearly $2 per packet! What a rip off!

:( Not happy Z

Rummaging around in a draw this morning I found some old receipts. These were when I first moved out of home. There are a couple of duplicates as I was broken into & replaced a few items.

1984 - Video recorder $679
1985 - Small washing machine $299
1985 - Colour TV probably about 54cm from memory - $465
1984 - Tumble dryer $155
1985 - Sewing machine $304
1985 - Video recorder $595
1985 - Fridge/freezer $475
1985 - Sewing machine $459
1986 - Queen size water bed $499

quoll said:
I also remember 1/2c lollies.l
Yep me too!!! :cool:

I remember my mum allowing me to have a school lunch order, and for 2c you used to get a whole bag full of lollies, nowdays if I am doing the same for my daughter, it costs me 5c just for the (empty) bag!!! :(

Back