Changes in unemployment

I've always felt that the property market was unlikely to to undergo a major correction as long as interest rates and unemployment are low .

Simple. because if these stay sound , there with be few people around who are "highly motivated vendors".

Up to now I've seen very few indications of rising unemplyment in terms of people I know becoming unemployed or being concerned about how their business is going.

Last night however a relative reported that their light engineering business is very quiet with very few people wanting new work . Now obviously there could be many causes for this outside a more widespread down turn in the sector, but given the involvment of people on the forum in a widespread range of sectors I thought it would be interesting to get feed back on how business is going in other areas.

I would expect that the employment would have to be widespread in order to affect property prices as there seemed to be no effect on prices from the "tech wreck " when many highly paid people became not so highly paid.

see change

Originally posted by see_change
I would expect that the employment would have to be widespread in order to affect property prices as there seemed to be no effect on prices from the "tech wreck " when many highly paid people became not so highly paid.

Agree - unemployment which causes problems in the economy would come from ... economic pressures (ie. widespread) - rather than from industry specific. I said this a long time ago - the techwreck and subsequent IT industry recession will not have a marked effect in the overall economy because it is a relatively small number of people involved - regardless of how much they earn.

While the Australian economy is still growing, I don't think that we will see unemployment becoming a serious problem.

hrmmmm how to engineer some rate rises and some unemployment so we can pick up some cheap stock

we could always start a anti employee campaign spam email like the petrol one going around :p

Employers do you bit for the country, fire an employee today.

Just no somersoft members please :)

Back