Charity Work

20 years ago, as the office & factory junior, I used to get sent to St Vinnies to buy big bags of rags for use in the fibreglass facotry I worked at.

However when they came round to take some outdoor furntiure, they took the chairs but left the crappy table for me to get rid of

guess there's a line, but if in doubt, I'd still have thought "give" rather than "don't"

I want to to give everything directly to the women so that no one else has a chance to take a cut.

How would I do this with cash donations?
Admirable, but difficult to do unless you are face-to-face with these women, and unless you are either a worker or one of the residents yourself, this is virtually impossible.

I understand what it is you are trying to avoid, but you have to remember also, that even those who "take a cut" aren't necessarily doing so because they are being greedy, it's because they HAVE to cover their costs in getting the items to these places. Sure there are volunteers (I know one personally!! :p) who will do this with no regard for the cost of petrol or time, but (the reality is that) not everyone can afford to do this.:( Refuges are remotely scattered throughout the country, their locations (albiet well guarded) take time and money to transport goods to them.

Your donation(s) and intentions are appreciated, but in turn, I ask you to be understanding and see the practical side, of what it means to be the "go betweens" in this equation!! :)

Bottom line, donating money will be more for your benefit (peace of mind) than theirs (the residents).

Remember, that many of these women have other "issues" and as such money can be more of a problem than a help. At the end of the day, these residents would benefit more from your food, clothing, or household items, than they would the temptations associated with the temporary fix of what money can buy!!!

Cheers,
Jo

Hi Everyone

This is an update.

We ended up with 3 storage containers full of clothes, books, toys ect for the womens refuge. Wembley storage kindly let us use the containers.

The refuges were so happy and grateful, we actually had some kids run out to collect the toys, it made their day. We all felt so good about doing this and putting a smile on their faces esp the kids.

A few of you mentioned cash donations, this will be too difficult. However, all the refuges mentioned they are short constantly of underwear, bras, shampoo/conditioner, slippers.

I have had a few businesses ask if they can donate cash and I would rather they purchased these items and gave them to them rather than cash.

I am not sure how this work to be tax effective.

Is anyone still interested?

Jo, I do understand what you mean about taking a cut to cover costs when people do this, however, between our group we are more than happy to donate to cover these costs ourselves rather than cutting short the refuge.

Thanks
Fran

Back