Cheap granny flat kit

This is just to lock up stage - Can be clad in different materials -so that it doesn't look like a "Toilet" block
This one would cost around $2k to clad in Chamfer boards or weather boards.
The difference between this and standard granny flats - value for money!
This client i assure you was stoked with her Granny Flat - 6 weeks from design to handover, for a Certified 6 star + Granny Flat, for under $700 per Sq/M
She is very happy with her ROI!

This is just to lock up stage - Can be clad in different materials -so that it doesn't look like a "Toilet" block
This one would cost around $2k to clad in Chamfer boards or weather boards.
The difference between this and standard granny flats - value for money!
This client i assure you was stoked with her Granny Flat - 6 weeks from design to handover, for a Certified 6 star + Granny Flat, for under $700 per Sq/M
She is very happy with her ROI!

Yea I dont think it looks so bad. It's obviosusly not fully blended into the yard yet. Perhaps some colour coordinating as well (its obviosuly not fully spruced up yet in that photo?), painting/cladding, some landscaping, perhaps some verandah railings, few shrubs, TV Antenna and you've got a cute and comfortable little granny flat for a very low price.

I think for the mega-budget buyer it's fine. Nice work m8.

P.S. Building in general is cheaper in Queensland vs NSW. Not so much for materials, but certainly the labour is much dearer down here.

Serge

Yea I dont think it looks so bad. It's obviosusly not fully blended into the yard yet. Perhaps some colour coordinating as well (its obviosuly not fully spruced up yet in that photo?), painting/cladding, some landscaping, perhaps some verandah railings, few shrubs, TV Antenna and you've got a cute and comfortable little granny flat for a very low price.

I think for the mega-budget buyer it's fine. Nice work m8.

P.S. Building in general is cheaper in Queensland vs NSW. Not so much for materials, but certainly the labour is much dearer down here.

Serge

Cheers Serge,
Thats exactly the concept behind the Emjaro Pods.
The idea was to provide a unique base model at a very affordable price, allowing the client to add their own personal touches.

Hiya Adrien

So, 32K to lock up stage; what would you charge till turn key? (no lavish finish, just average.).....including gst and cladding cost, painting, gyprock, basic kitchen, basic bathroom....

If costs is reasonable, and fulfills all requirements, i think you may have a market here .....have you done any in Sydney?:D

This is just to lock up stage - ....6 weeks from design to handover, for a Certified 6 star + Granny Flat, for under $700 per Sq/M ..

hmm so it's just to lock-up??
I can honestly get a 90mm H2 Timber-Framed Structure (with weatherboard external cladding) delivered onto a level site for around $12k. Quality brick piering (for 60 sq m fully enclosed) would be around $5k, whereas something like Steel Uni-Piers would only be around $3k. The lock-up kit comes pre-built (as a kit-frame) and would be completed in only 1-2 weeks by a team of 3.

My point is that lock-up is the easiest and cheapest part of any development. Lock up shouldn't be more than around 35% of the total build price anyway- and that's for a fully hipped 20 degree gabled roof. Did your $35,000 price include (partial) connection of services gecho?

Thanks,

Serge

G'day,

Just about finished with a GF up at Lake Macquarie. We used Positive Renovations and have found them to be the cheapest of any of the "one stop GF shops". I live in Darwin so haven't been hands on at all with the project and found it stress free really. Only criticism so far is there has been a few delays that have dragged it on a bit, but there shouldn't be a problem with that now, especialy in Sydney where they have done a lot of them. We opted for thier very small 2brm model (40m2) at $67k, add in LMCC S94 $7k, fencing and total cost is about $75k. Expecting about $250/week rent.
Cheers,
Ben
Hi Coconut Wheels.. I noticed you live in Darwin. Do you build granny flats up here?? I'm considering buying a block in Humpty Doo and building one.. Cheers Jamtin.

oils aint oils - Define Lock Up!

hmm so it's just to lock-up??
I can honestly get a 90mm H2 Timber-Framed Structure (with weatherboard external cladding) delivered onto a level site for around $12k. Quality brick piering (for 60 sq m fully enclosed) would be around $5k, whereas something like Steel Uni-Piers would only be around $3k. The lock-up kit comes pre-built (as a kit-frame) and would be completed in only 1-2 weeks by a team of 3.

My point is that lock-up is the easiest and cheapest part of any development. Lock up shouldn't be more than around 35% of the total build price anyway- and that's for a fully hipped 20 degree gabled roof. Did your $35,000 price include (partial) connection of services gecho?

Thanks,

Serge

Hey Serge,
to answer your question - No it does not include services
That said, lets define the term - "Lock Up Stage"
The Granny Flat you see, is our "Standard" range.
The internal and external walls are "Pre-Finished" in .6mm colourbond.
There is no need for plastering and painting etc etc, as it is all done.
All you need to do is kitchen/bathroom fitout, and connection to services!
What this means is that "Lock up Stage" for us, is FAR greater than 35% of the build!

The reason we supply to Lock Up, is that every astute investor knows where they can get a cheap kitchenette from, and usually have their own plumbers and electricians to connect services, and the name of the game IS to save money.
So why pay for builders margins on the fitout - IF you can do it yourself?
If you CAN'T build it yourself - why pay for 3-4 weeks of labour x 3 men, when you can build in 3-4 days??

The PODs are not everyone's cup of tea, and that is fine, but the OP did ask about DIY Granny Flats and Kits - All we have done, is developed a kit that is simple to build, and simple to decorate, and meets or exceeds Building Codes of Australia!

Yea that's certainly fair enough. I'd say that this system would be really good for rural areas where supply of materials and labour are difficult to organise as well. The fact that a lot of the work is already done is great too.

Hi everyone,

Just new here so hope this is in the right place.

We have a 1000mtr block with older house in Warners Bay which we are thinking would be perfect for a granny flat.

In trying to crunch the numbers and was just wondering how you work out how much it would rent for?

Thanks

K

I'm in the market for a cheap granny flat also, and there seems to be a few options out there...

You can order flat pack kits (from china) on alibaba.com which are built to Australian standards for under 15k, however you need to order minimum numbers.....they come in wall sections which are cladded and plastered with plumbing already done, just stand the frames and make a few connections.....could be a good opportunity to get a few of us on here together and ship some over??

I think its a good idea to have a removable type so you can easily move it off the block down the track if you want to make better use of the land and build a bigger, more profitable development in your backyard (this is my plan). This way you can gain cashflow in the short-term

ill admit gecko1's design (simple and cheap) is what im after

Alex

Yea but just remember removable granny flats cannot be approved under the NSW State legislation. You'd have to do a Section-68 Aplication to Council instead. Not all Councils allow that.

Safest way is to submit the plans BEFORE you buy from China!

Yea but just remember removable granny flats cannot be approved under the NSW State legislation. You'd have to do a Section-68 Aplication to Council instead. Not all Councils allow that.

Safest way is to submit the plans BEFORE you buy from China!

What constitutes a 'removable' granny flat though? In SA you can use a removable one as long as you install piers first and bolt the granny flat to the piers...is it more difficult in nsw?

Hi everyone,

Just new here so hope this is in the right place.

We have a 1000mtr block with older house in Warners Bay which we are thinking would be perfect for a granny flat.

In trying to crunch the numbers and was just wondering how you work out how much it would rent for?

Thanks

K

I'm getting $255 for my 38m2 one in Valentine

For a house with a decent backyard... rented to a family say. How much have rents being reducing a) during construction of a granny flat and b) post construction once they've lost their backyard.

FMS: How much are they? And how easy/hard are they to put together?

I would develop it with 4-5 townhouses rather than build a granny flat. Warners Bay is so popular these days.

Thanks for the replies,

DaveM Our IP is in a street full of them and maybe one day but we are new to all this and would have no idea where to start.
Its also a lovely area, flat and a 5 min walk to everything so we may one day like to move out of the rat race,build a nice home on the front of the block and use the GF as a weekender so just not there yet but for us to buy more IP we need some more cash flow.

Coconutwheels. Thats great. Did you have to drop the rent on your front property at all ? We have an older house on the block, 2bdr plus sunroom. newish cheapy kitchen, very daggy old bathroom and rents for $360. Rents easy.

Im also worried we would need to drop the rent on the front house but it seems a high demand rental area so not sure. 1000mtr block is a lot to mow but in an area full of rentals with no yard maybe a bonus ? We are thinking of a 60 sqm one.

I have another question too. Our next tenants are moving out in 6 months and we would start build asap after they have gone. how long does the actual build part take ?

Thanks

K

Has anybody actual completed a DIY Granny Flat?? If so, what are total costs?? Any issues?

I did an owner build here in SW Sydney - 60sqm 2 bed kit home from Kitome.
Good price for the kit and quite complete for a simple house.
Brazen did the design & approval process which was the easy part.
Slab down and frames up by Xmas, roof on and walls done by February, Interior fit out completed by April, ready for occupation.
Pushing all the way......

Upgraded the all electric supply from the street, separate water & electric meters, full tile in bathroom, solar HWS, inverter air cond, built in robes, full length storm water drains to reverse the flow to the street, fencing, landscaping, 15 tonnes of gravel to fill the drain channels.
Total price - $77k

Many problems handled everyday......
Contractors not turning up or unlicensed, outrageous quotes & prices, damaged material sold as new, poor workmanship, carpenter nailing the water pipes, solar water leaks - the list is quite long.
Just take a deep breath and work your way through it.....make another list, do the list.

Would I do it again - not right now....too many problems with contractors....and you need them for compliance with certifier, BCA, insurance and the occupation certificate.

But - the final finish was great and the property has been revalued almost 50% higher than the cost of building (+$120k), easy rent $300 long term.

So - do your sums and work out your time.
There are many extra things that you may not think of....from the extra letter box and wheelie bins, so work from the front of the property to the rear making a detailed list.
Then double it and you should be about right.......:)

Back