Cheap granny flat kit

Just finished settling on a property in western sydney and looking to start the stressful task of building the granny flat. I am looking to maybe do a DIY kit and found a few different companies. Most are quoting round $40000 for a complete 2 bed kit 60sq but not 100% sure on who to go with.

Anyone out there gone through the process and can give feedback on the kits. Also, has anyone found any cheaper prices??

If my feasability proves DIY to be not that much cheaper, i will definately be looking towards an independant builder. Anybody know of any that can build a quality 60sq 2 bedroom GF for less than $80k???

Hoping some of the more experienced guys out there can lend this newby a hand.

G'day,

Just about finished with a GF up at Lake Macquarie. We used Positive Renovations and have found them to be the cheapest of any of the "one stop GF shops". I live in Darwin so haven't been hands on at all with the project and found it stress free really. Only criticism so far is there has been a few delays that have dragged it on a bit, but there shouldn't be a problem with that now, especialy in Sydney where they have done a lot of them. We opted for thier very small 2brm model (40m2) at $67k, add in LMCC S94 $7k, fencing and total cost is about $75k. Expecting about $250/week rent.
Cheers,
Ben

Granny Flat

Hiya

I am almost complete with my granny flat; 43 sqm but i opted for a 1 bedder (re previous poster...i just don't know how you can squeeze in a 2 bedder on 40 sqm:eek:)

Price is 75K incl GST turn key ...brick:p; i will be using him again for my 2nd granny flat in Penrith...the builder is slow though but i am happy ....he taught me many things and most important did not pile any variation into the contract...price was final!

PM me if you want his details:)

Owner build

Hiya

Could owner build but how much can i save??:) if something goes wrong, tradies will push and claim fault of someone else....

Hiya

Does it mean i can guarantee myself for defects for 7 years like a builder must?:p

It means you need to do a 1 day course at TAFE to get your Owner Builders licence, and pay $1,000 for the priveledge. It also means you buy HOW insurance to insure your building work for 6 years (I think??) it is. :)

Hiya

Does it mean i can guarantee myself for defects for 7 years like a builder must?:p

Structural defects perhaps, if they go broke or missing, anything else you'll be lucky if they take your call.

HOW will need to be paid for regardless of whether you OB or contract it out

granny flat

Just finished settling on a property in western sydney and looking to start the stressful task of building the granny flat. I am looking to maybe do a DIY kit and found a few different companies. Most are quoting round $40000 for a complete 2 bed kit 60sq but not 100% sure on who to go with.

Anyone out there gone through the process and can give feedback on the kits. Also, has anyone found any cheaper prices??

If my feasability proves DIY to be not that much cheaper, i will definately be looking towards an independant builder. Anybody know of any that can build a quality 60sq 2 bedroom GF for less than $80k???

Hoping some of the more experienced guys out there can lend this newby a hand.

I too have been looking into building a granny flat I have been
quoted $89000 for a 2 bedroom brick 60 sqm one.

Not sure what quality inclusion are as yet.
This does not incluse application fee etc which will make whole project about
$100 000.

home owners warranty

If you are thinking of doing it as an ower builder and if you are certain that you will hold the property for 6 years you don't need to take out home owners warranty insurance. The advantages of holding it for 6 years are a) no gst on sale of a new build, b) no HOW required, c) you get the tax depreciation on a new build d) the property market just might go up again.

I too am curious on anyone who has already completed.

Numbers?, hard to find tenants?, issues with tenants in front house etc?

I was the guy who did both coconutwheels and Virgo's granny flat approvals! I feel special.

The price for a 60 sq m granny flat (full turn-key build) should be around $90k. Coconut's one is smaller (40 sq m) and the price, at $67k was quite good from what I know.

As an owner-builder, you can certainly save money. The price for supply only for 60 sq m should be around 30k depending on inclusions. The disadvantage of going Owner-Builder is time and energy. If you have both, then I would definitely do it that way. If it takes you say 1 year to build as an owner-builder you potentially miss out on (say) $20,000 rent so it may not be worth the (say) $30,000 you save in doing it yourself though?

Serge.

What would sway people down the path of developing as opposed to granny flats?

Are you able to sell off the granny flat separately?

The disadvantage of going Owner-Builder is time and energy.

Hey Serge

I'll add a third disadvantage

Finance, forget try to get decent finance across most lenders for an owner builder scenario like this.

Up to near80%ish not impossible, but very restrictive

thanks

Rolf

Are you able to sell off the granny flat separately?

No, under the affordable housing SEPP, you cannot sub-divide off the granny flat.

The only way that would be possible, is to have the granny flat positioned on the block in such a way, and having a block that fits sub-division criteria, and paying Sec 94 contributions for the priveledge, that you could sub-divide in the future.

Of course, the market for a 1-2brm, 60m2 house on a small block may not be as large as a normal house on a normal block in the suburb (although there is usually a market for everything).;)

granny flat v dual occ

Matto
the huge advantage in a granny flat is that most (not all) councils have in the spirit of making housing more affordable, dropped the S.94 contributions, ie the development contributions, for a granny flat. So, if you went down the old way of putting in for a dual occupancy to be allowed to build a 2 br residence (as a secondary development on the same title) then you would be paying PER BEDROOM in my area it's over $7,100 so for a 2 br separate residence that would be $14,200 plus all the hassles of getting it through council. Neither a dual occupancy nor a granny flat is on its own title although someone mentioned above that it could if properly sited on the block be subdivided later (my council has 250-300m2 minimum lot size) and for that you would be hit with the development contributions, as well as the usual costs of subdvision. Granny flats, as well as not attracting the development contributions (in most areas) can be put through by private certifiers leaving the council out of it. Also, a granny flat unlike a dual occ does not need to have parking.

Last edited:
The Teelah

We built this kit for a client in Blackbutt QLD.
Is a complete kit to lock up stage with a 6 Star rating on the building structure itself.

Kit Price $32000
57 SQ/M Floor plan inc Deck
Took 4 Days to construct!

Attachments

• IMG_0633-6x4.jpg
    IMG_0633-6x4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 762
Back