Cherie Barber: Shonky reno

I came across this article a few days ago as well. I think the actual episode was also aired recently too.

Yes, really unfortunate for the homeowner. Has Cherie made an official response?

Ouch. I've forwarded this to my boss. Personally, have spoken to Cherie a couple of times a month for the last year (essentially) and having met her several times, I think her techniques are good. She's done so many renos without complaint before that this has me quite astonished.

I only hope that this is a one-off. I'll ask her what happened.

Last edited:
I wouldnt let one of these "fast track reno teams" anywhere near any of my properties.They have their own agenda,and show you only what they want you to see!!
Damage control must be in overdrive.i noticed a half page add in last weeks paper advertising Adelaide seminars

I'd like to hear the full truth ... but then ... nah ... not really interested.

From what I saw on ACA (oh the shame) both parties were to blame - the owner apparently kept changing her mind about what she wanted done, and Cherie didn't manage the trades to keep the budget under control (or actually install what was required, ie, a suitable fridge space).

i'd suggest at least watching her response before making your mind up

ACA is an especially ****, sensationalistic program that i tend to avoid at all costs. Out of curioisity i sat through her entire 30 min response and believe that as usual ACA did not show the full story.

no doubt some of it was spin and im sure she also made mistakes but surely the owner did not expect everything for $40k including unewxpected asbestos removal and rewiring, new kitchen, new bathroom, fully repainted, polished floorboards, new dog kennel thing at the back, some new fencing etc

cherie barber goes to lengths to state that with all TV reno shows they tend to rush it to film and then come back and fix the defects (i did not realise this but itmakes sense) and in this case they were not allowed access to fix defects.

an item like the ramp for her disabled brother that was the first thign shown and ultimately meant to cause outrage did not end up being in the scope of works due to budget issues and was simply put in at the end as they had some leftover timber.

the front of the property has a fully functioning ramp for her brother as well as easy access to the rear

i have absolutely nothing to do with cherie barber, have never been to her courses or met her etc i just absolutely detest oeople falling hook, line and sinker for nonsense like this without at the very least looking into it further

the Op's response of "no excuses cherie barber" is a perfect example of how ACA manipulates people, he has made his mind up completely from the video with no consideration of any other facts

Yes not her money what has she to lose I am sorry but paying someone else just for their opinions and ideas absolute rip off, What C Barber does for a living anyone can achieve without paying her for it .
I think she is a very over rated person ,anyway thats my opinion.

Macca

Yes not her money what has she to lose I am sorry but paying someone else just for their opinions and ideas absolute rip off, What C Barber does for a living anyone can achieve without paying her for it .
I think she is a very over rated person ,anyway thats my opinion.

Macca

i do that very regularly, i pay someone for all of my developments, be they new construction or renos for their advice and trust them implicitly

nothing wrong with paying someone for their expertise, ive got no problem admitting where i need assistance

Agree there were some issues with the property owner, too. Paying large sums in cash in envelopes? "No receipts?" Last time I paid cash for something, I could still get a receipt!

Wonder if ACA gave Cherie the opportunity to rebut? :rolleyes:

cherie did make a big error in judgement not having a proper contract done up though

i work on a someonewhat open ended basis with some of my trades but that is only after building up a relationship over a number of projects, i can see how things could blow up when doing a reno for an OO who miight not have done one before

My view on matters such as these is that on most occasions both parties share at least some blame.

The following comments I make herein are merely assumptions based on prejudices acquired over a decade in the game.

To me both parties rushed into everything based on the fact it was to do with a TV show. Standard procedure was thrown out the window e.g. contracts, formal quotes etc.

I feel the renovator probably took the approach the TV show was the client whereas the home owner was just a bystander.

However given there are claims 25k is owed and she didn't want them to come back, to me there something not right about that.. it smells a little on the part of the owner. She sounds like she is no idiot so she would surely know that Cherie would have turned her house into a castle just to try and clear her name or the stain this show caused on her rep.

I cannot help but feel the owners stance in this regard has more to do with her preferring to have what she has now for 15k than have everything fixed and have to pay the remaining 25k.

One thing for-sure I would hate to be in Cheries position. I loose sleep about even minor issues on the build site so I cannot even imagine seeing myself on ACA. The thought alone makes me literally want to vomit. As far as the owners position is concerned lets be real, the 25k she hasnt paid Cherrie more than covers the "fixes" required.

In summary, Cherie did a crap job and worse (for her) wasnt able to see the potential fallout to her very public persona should this escalate as it has. The owner should take her 25k she hasn't paid and call a contractor and not a tv crew to do her fixes and remaining reno.

Can you trust anyone who says they will renovate your house for you?

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8519633/tv-reno-disaster

How very sad for the homeowner. Its up the the professional ( in this case Cherie Barber) to see that all works are completed properly.

No excuses Cherie Barber!!

after seeing the video - i find it hard to believe that a reno with 50-70K was done without a contract in place.

I know for a fact that any person who is project manageming a multi-trade project in excess of $5000 in victoria is require to be a registered builder and to also undertake a contract to which both parties are clear on the scope etc.

that is very strange... also if she was engaging a registered builder in which she could use his registration that person could risk his license or get fined.

From what I gathered in the ACA show (not that I put any faith in this show) is this person won a contest to have her home renovated by Cherrie Baker. Later in the show I beleive it says Cherrie Baker was only a consultant and thats what the person won.

So I'm not sure really what the person won however the person did borrow funds $40000 to do the reno which is now $63000. So maybe the person knew what she had won and was indicated all up $40000 and is not happy / cannot afford the extra $23000 and working on a way out.

Don't get me wrong there are a number of issues NO contract in place, apparant cash payment to trades, not that theres anything against cash I still feel the ATO will be interested in this. Of course there is the issues of leaking shower, kitchen taps, fridge, disabled ramp etc etc. I also bet there has been no DA, plan, certification of works as well as a asbestos clearance cert.

Either way the person is entilted to have the work being carried out correctly and in this I feel she has some valid complaints. If the person knew what she had won and has changed her mind throughtout the job once all is fixed to standard and legal etc pay up.

Brian

From what i saw on ACA. There was alot of problems with the reno. The bathroom floor was not leveled correctly. the wheel chair ramp was super steep. the fridge didnt fit in the hole. Alot of attention to detail was not done. i would have been unhappy as well.

Im sure if we take both stories they meet in the middle somewhere.

I am just watching the response. As project manager how can she assume she has a standard washing machine and some one not measure it to make sure it would fit.

all she has done is blame work that was not known before hand. obvuisly she did not do her due diligence before starting.

i would have thought that being chosen on the show you would get the reno free anyway as it would be paid my TV channel like those renovator or block shows.

if you are footing out the bill - why even get selected in the first place?

Back