Chicken coops

Creature comfort !

Gotta be more comfortable for the chooks than the old galvanised iron roof, odd bits of wood, random bricks & left over/broken tile home made jobs I was to used to seeing growing up

This may be a bit of a silly questions, but.... Are the chickens noisy? I would like to get some for my backyard but I don't want to bother the neighbours with them.
Depends on the type of chicken. The ones I had (before dogs ate em) made the most incredible racket early in the morning, couldn't believe it was them until I peeked out to watch. Sort of a 500 decibel "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRKK"

They were some kind of rhode island red laying breed with a number instead of a name. Great layers. We had two, I'm going to get two or three more when our yard is fenced enough to keep dogs out.

Depends on the type of chicken. The ones I had (before dogs ate em) made the most incredible racket early in the morning, couldn't believe it was them until I peeked out to watch. Sort of a 500 decibel "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRKK"

They were some kind of rhode island red laying breed with a number instead of a name. Great layers. We had two, I'm going to get two or three more when our yard is fenced enough to keep dogs out.

bloody loud americans

(would hate to hear how loud the greek ones were )

This is something we've been talking about recently for the kids

I'd always had fresh eggs as a kid, we had a huge chook pen spilt in two, one part was for the chooks and the second a vegetable garden, we then changed places and the chooks had a veritable feast as theold vegetable garden withered.

The new vegetable garden planetd in the chook yard thrived, a curry plant planted to the side grew huge and we enjoyed many years of quality vegetables, eggs and chicken meat

Sheep, Cattle, Kangaroo's, and a variety of birds kept us entertained as kids; the naming of animals at an early age was beyond our Comprehension (i.e. santa, sweet & sour, Crackle the pigs).

We raised many a pet kangaroo only to release them to the wild or a sanctuary, especially the females having 6-7 kangaroo's being raised at the peak including feeding every 3 hrs

I've been informed that in WA http://www.ucanhatchus.com.au/ is a good resource and used by a number of schools

In our day though, we used a food dehydrator and fertilised eggs from the hatchery, we routinely had to rotate the eggs..nowadays, you can purchase the whole kit and kaboodle

Kids love the hatching thing, but it's a bit of a lottery. You don't want them to rear a chook from hatching and then find out after 5 months or so that it's a rooster.

The very first chooks I had were given to my wife as chicks by a friend of hers as a birthday present. It was a dopey present. So I had to knock up a chook house. There were four of them. After about 4 months, three of them started crowing, so they had to go.
Fortunately, we were due to drive to her mother's in Armidale that weekend and she said she was happy to have the roosters. So we put them in a box with a lid on it in the car. They didn't make a sound and I forgot they were there.
By the time we hit Tamworth, I was feeling hungry so we pulled into a Red Rooster drive through. I stopped at the window to order and the chooks in the box went absolutely nuts. So I drove out.

Kids love the hatching thing, but it's a bit of a lottery. You don't want them to rear a chook from hatching and then find out after 5 months or so that it's a rooster.
If you get the eggs from a proper hatchery rather than from someone who has backyard chooks, I think they do some magic that ensures they're all girls. The local preschool has just hatched chooks, and we got our chooks from the primary school last time. They were all girls. The meat chooks though ... good lord, make sure you don't get meat chook eggs. Those things get massive fast, so massive they can die just under their own weight.

I could be completely misinformed about the girl thing though, but The Child's class was looking after them from when they hatched and I never heard anything about a culling happening when the birdies got their proper feathers.

We hatched our own silky bantem eggs and ended up with 3 roosters and 1 hen. It was fun though. I could easily tell which ones I suspected were the roosters as they hatched because they were bigger than the hen. I didn't want to seperate them so I gave away the four to my friends parents on acreage. Here's a pic of our other hens. We gave them to a friend when we moved recently. Cage is pretty basic/ugly compared to what you are looking at.

Attachments

• chook.jpg
    chook.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 43
  • chooks.jpg
    chooks.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 42
Back