What's your "Jonesey"?

Having a shower is not keeping up with them;

Getting your whole shower/bathroom redone and telling everyone it cost $30k (or more) is.

Also known as "subliminal brag" -

Would normally be dropped into the conversation in this manner;

You: "Got the bathroom redone last month; turned out pretty good."

Friend: "Oh really?"

You: "Yeah; the b@stards wanted to sting me fifty large for it, but I got 'em down to $35k". :rolleyes:

You should reply "I got ripped off on my bathroom too, they did a good job and they charged me 3k!!!"

if you really think having a shower in the morning is keeping up with the jones' then im afraid you may have issues

Mr MTR has a shower before he sees his trainer in the morning and then when he gets back, I think that's not keeping up with the Jonesy mob, but more like wasting water. You should only take one when you get back from training, anyway does that mean I can brag to my friends about that one. I am sure they would think he is nuts, I do:eek:

Oops, just realised some people may be thinking overtime, he does not have a sexy female trainer, its a HE, all good at the home front:)

Oops, just realised some people may be thinking overtime, he does not have a sexy female trainer, its a HE, all good at the home front:)

Ms boeman came to Muay Thai once, and was mortified to learn I did pad work with a Miss Australia contestant.

Our only one would be the waterfront residence, but I regard it as an investment anyway. Lifestyle in all other areas is way lower than average in this context. Buy clothes at K-Mart type stores and take lunch to work.

Been here almost 2 years now and probably the only ones without a boat, but finding it really difficult to commit to such a money pit....

Our only one would be the waterfront residence, but I regard it as an investment anyway. Lifestyle in all other areas is way lower than average in this context. Buy clothes at K-Mart type stores and take lunch to work.

Been here almost 2 years now and probably the only ones without a boat, but finding it really difficult to commit to such a money pit....
LOL! You ARE me!

Can we see some pics of the house, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace in the Hole

LOL! You ARE me!

Can we see some pics of the house, please?

I am another one, exactly to the thinking about boat, on and off for 10 yrs and still not buying one. We travel a fair bit these days due to kid living overseas though, so it's certain now that no boat for us.

There is plenty of 'Jonesying' (new word) going on in this forum. It is just property related.

How many properties do you have?
What is your net worth?
How old were you when you bought your first?
Who lives off rent?
Who retired before they were born?

There is plenty of 'Jonesying' (new word) going on in this forum. It is just property related.

What is your net worth?
Who lives off rent?

That is funny but good point:)

Jonseying may be a good thing. Imagine if no one wanted to keep up with Jones. There would be no improvements, no economic activity and our society would collapse. No desire to work. Just everyone content to meditate in a commune eating grass and wearing loincloths.

Not sure if this applies, but my neighbour is a landscape gardener. Recently over the past year I have been doing up my front area. Eg. putting in garden bed and lots of flowers and colour. Funny that there front area was only grass, now he also has garden beds etc.
My wife over heard his wife the other day after I had planted tulips that they will now "need to put something else colourful" :D
I guess the amateur next door cant have a better garden then a paid professional :D
Front Garden.jpg

Jonseying may be a good thing. Imagine if no one wanted to keep up with Jones. There would be no improvements, no economic activity and our society would collapse. No desire to work. Just everyone content to meditate in a commune eating grass and wearing loincloths.

Might be, but they might be happier too for not comparing with anyone :)
That say I think SS style Jonesey is one of the better one, keep me buying houses :p

Not sure if this applies, but my neighbour is a landscape gardener. Recently over the past year I have been doing up my front area. Eg. putting in garden bed and lots of flowers and colour. Funny that there front area was only grass, now he also has garden beds etc.
My wife over heard his wife the other day after I had planted tulips that they will now "need to put something else colourful" :D
I guess the amateur next door cant have a better garden then a paid professional :D
View attachment 12995
The wife might just want a colourful garden and using you as a reason ;) The tulip is beautiful by the way

havent bought a bandsaw, Yet
have
chopsaws, tilesaws, routers, welders, mitre saws, radial arm saw, rip saw, compound mitre saw, sliding compound mitre saw, burp guns, drills, lock setter, air hammer, air chisel, rattle guns, electric plane, floor sander, floor polishers, spin saw, floor jacks, tractors, mowers, trailer sprayer, snakes, lasers, levels, theodolite, weed whackers, brush cutters, slasher, crimper, pipe threader, paint sprayer, power roller, power sweeper, press brake,
crates and cupboards of hand tools, mostly un-opened for years love electric tools
cant think what I would need a bandsaw for,
Don't do any fine carpentry, lots of rough work, finished on the router and with the planes​
Zimby when you think of a reason, let me know, I will tell my cfo the same

Now who's bragging?

Angel said:
Now who's bragging?

tools: its my Jones,
The thread subject, dunno how people manage to miss it.
me said:
crates and cupboards of hand tools, mostly un-opened for years
dunno how people manage to miss it
me again said:
cant think what I would need a bandsaw for,
Zimby when you think of a reason, let me know, I will tell my cfo the same
dunno how people manage to miss it
detailing my jones, seeking a 'reason' :)
maybe not a reason as the rational world may perceive it, :p
an excuse disguised as a reason :)
dunno how anybody could miss that :D

Last edited:

What is your net worth?
Who lives off rent?

:D

Very true. One poll/thread that I doubt you'd see is one where people disclose how much money they have been 'given' to help them achieve such goals. Such as inheritance, large sums of money given to them from parents (a big one with a lot of people I know in my life), insurance payouts :rolleyes:, other unplanned financial windfalls that came their way...

Sure, there are people who have what they have due to their own blood, sweat, tears, sacrifice and their own excellent financial management but there are plenty who have definitely had a helping $ hand... keep it quiet though.

Back