China Triggers the Recession Alarm

Have you done anything similar with Australians' private debt? it wouldn't be pretty.

He compared the US with Australia.

To make their situation easier to understand, let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

US economy.
• Annual family income: $21,700
• Money the family spent: $38,200
• New debt on the credit card: $16,500
• Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
• Total budget cuts: $385

Now let’s compare that to the Australian economy*:
• Annual family income: $29,840
• Money the family spent: $34,610
• New debt on the credit card: $4,770
• Outstanding balance on the credit card: $8,460
• Total budget cuts: $2,200

See ya's.

That's an interesting article. And one of the most bullish you'll ever read, Wow!!!

It concerns me a bit with some of his factual mistakes though. If you write something like that you'd make sure you get some simple facts correct. It's pretty easy to check on figures these days with the net and all, and two of the biggest factual errors, I didn't even had to check on, I already knew.

He claims,....
......"China has 102 cities with an urban population of 5 million people or more".

That's rubbish. The 100th biggest city is getting down to about a million people.

He also claims,......
......"I came to Australia from China in 1988. At that time there were almost 1 billion farmers in China".

Rubbish too. There was only about 1.1 billion people in China in 1988, so how could there have been almost a billion farmers?

See ya's.

yep, bullish, still not the most bullish Ive ever read though, but you have to look at who wrote it and the publication etc, as with all the articles and podcasts I read a listen to from both perspectives (they all have something to gain from their perspective).

Would be good to have direct contact and let him know about the errors you point out, would love to read (if you got one) the response, that would be interesting to read.

If I take anything from it is the ratio of numbers (not the incorrect facts), i.e. Australia is merely a blip on the radar amoungst all these numbers from China.

And you don't like the fact that Aussies are in hock, more so than the Yanks, and would prefer to sweep it under the carpet.

Your choice. not mine.

are they?
whats the average net assets (including Super) of those Australians approaching retirement compared to their US counter parts.

Whats the average equity in australian housing compared to their US counterparts.

For the younger pre retiring population, what is their net asset value as compared to their US counter parts???

although i trend towards liberal, i have to give a massive thumbs up to labours initiative under Keating to install Australia's superannuation system. It was light years ahead of thinking at the time, the US is still back in the 80's on this and in the words of Robert Frost ... and this made all the difference.

I know it is a bit off topic (US economy) but I did like the reference to the current deficit in the US and comparisons to a household budget:

To make their situation easier to understand, let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:
• Annual family income: $21,700
• Money the family spent: $38,200
• New debt on the credit card: $16,500
• Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
• Total budget cuts: $385

What idiot gave the family on 20k, a 140k limit on their credit card?

While I am not sure about sashs figures the hoo ha over Chinese trade is definately louder than the reality. For example we export more to Japan and Korea combined than to China.I am sure our coal and natural gas sales to Japanese or Korean power stations are more of a guaranteed certainty going forward but hey 'China Boom' makes for a more interesting headline.
Trade aint so black and white as what get parrotted by lazy journos..Sure China is important but its just almost 80% of our exports go elsewhere.
http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/trade/trade-at-a-glance-2011.pdf

Two points on that front I guess

On resources, the vast majority of our hard commodities exports, such as iron ore, definitely go to China. China continues to be the largest thermal and coking coal importer from Australia ahead of Japan and Korea too. Australia does not export that much natural gas because LNG export is still a very junior market. Obviously no one's built a pipeline to Asia yet so we can't just send gas directly over there in case anyone's wondering.

The China Boom is actually more than just about Australia's trade with China. It's all contagious. A China collapse would presumably drag all its trading partners down which include South Korea, India, Indonesia etc. Of course, the already faltering economies of USA/Europe/Japan will take further hits. It's too naive to view a China collapse as just impacting 20% of our foreign trade. And for the record, 20% is already a lot.

In the mean time, I see the A$ has already begun a downward trajectory. Hope you all sold out as suggested. Easy 10% gains in a short time.

Australians' private debt? it wouldn't be pretty.

What about this?

keen1.gif

Hmm. Looking closer, this chart has different scales on each side. Why did they do that? So it appears that Aussie debt topped out at about 160% gdp, but US debt topped out at about 300%.

I suppose the most important thing is can it be repayed? Currently Aussies are handleing it, and Americans aren't, hence their house prices crashing.

See ya's.

This is a weird graph, where the scale on the right is twice the scale on the left. Why not use the same scale for both countries?
It looks like Australia's debt is now higher than the US, while it is actually about half when you look closely.

And you don't like the fact that Aussies are in hock, more so than the Yanks, and would prefer to sweep it under the carpet.

Your choice. not mine.

Did I say that? Was just pointing out that the comparison was comparing the same things.

Interesting chart TC. Wonder what the ratio of assets and superannuation (401k) are?

Wonder what the ratio of assets and superannuation (401k) are?

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...osion-in-crazy-regulation-20111116-1nizo.html

This pumps up property-heavy Australians. With just 0.3 per cent of the world's population, Australia has 4 per cent of the world's millionaires.

''Australia has experienced robust growth since the turn of the century, with wealth per adult quadrupling over the past decade,'' the report says. ''This was due in part to the appreciation of the Australian dollar, but wealth has doubled even when this is taken into account. In 2011, average wealth in Australia, at $US397,000 [per adult], was second highest in the world - after Switzerland.''

Australia, with $US222,000, now tops the [world] table by a considerable margin . . . the US lags far behind with median wealth of just $US53,000.''

Looks to me as though the average Aussie has 4 times the wealth of the average American?

And according to this article, are we the wealthiest, or second behind Switzerland? It seems to say both?

See ya's.

Your graph says I'm wrong TC. I'm surprised.

To say we're handling it OK is meaningless. The Yanks were doin' OK pre GFC too. We are now in the pre-GFC II phase. Complacency kills.

Umm if China slows down what do you think is going to happen to the rest of Asia?

I am well aware of potential flow on effects. But my point was I hardly think developed places like Japan or Korea are going to switch their lights off either. Heck back in 2009 Japan was still our largest export market even though the papers told us China saved us from the GFC??
My point is if anyone thinks Australian exports are solely built on China they are understandably misinformed.

Last edited:
Two points on that front I guess

On resources, the vast majority of our hard commodities exports, such as iron ore, definitely go to China. China continues to be the largest thermal and coking coal importer from Australia ahead of Japan and Korea too. Australia does not export that much natural gas because LNG export is still a very junior market. Obviously no one's built a pipeline to Asia yet so we can't just send gas directly over there in case anyone's wondering.

FYI According to the Australian Coal Association most of Australias Coal exports go to Japan, almost three times as much as China actually.
http://www.australiancoal.com.au/the-australian-coal-industry_coal-exports.aspx

Growth in LNG exports will be massive going forward.

Back