Christmas around the corner

... we have changed the way we do Christmas, this year we will....

not buy any presents, donate this money to charity instead
stop having a zillion people over and just keep it simple

I love Christmas but I don't like the stress it has caused over the years, each year it has been getting more expensive and complicated, lots of time and money trying to select the right presents.

Not to mention food that had to be thrown out after a couple of days such a waste.

Anyone thinking about doing things differently?

Me too.

We are turning our children into little spoilt monsters, too much emphasis on presents, the wrong message.

We are doing minimal presents this year.

Instead of Christmas lunch at someone's house, my wife's family and I are going to have Christmas in New York City.

... we have changed the way we do Christmas, this year we will....

not buy any presents, donate this money to charity instead
stop having a zillion people over and just keep it simple

I love Christmas but I don't like the stress it has caused over the years, each year it has been getting more expensive and complicated, lots of time and money trying to select the right presents.

Not to mention food that had to be thrown out after a couple of days such a waste.

MTR what an awesome approach. I like the idea of giving to those less fortunate.

We just do a secret santa thing now. So everyone only buys one present. Saves having to spend a fortune buying 15 + presents.

I don't buy my niece (shes 15 months old) anything. She gets so many presents it is ridiculous, being the only grandchild/baby. Instead, I opened an online saver with $100 in it when she was born, and deposit $15 a month. No birthday or Christmas or easter from me. When she is 18 she will get circa $6k from me so she can travel/invest/buy a better car.

For meals, I drive around town visiting girlfriends family/my family over Christmas Eve and Christmas to keep everyone happy. Then on Boxing day me and my friends have a BBQ and watch the test and I finally relax with a drink or 10.

3 years ago my whole family went to Sydney and stayed at my brother's house. Someone brought a long a little gastro and Christmas morning we were awoken to the delightful sounds of my Dad bringing up dinner. I got it on boxing day and my wife had it the following day, nobody was spared. :(

2 years ago my wife and I spend 3 weeks on a luxury yacht diving in the Phillipines. No family, no phones, just relaxing and fun.

Last year we stayed at home, walked the dogs, played with Lego (if you visit my office you'll understand my Lego fetish).

This year, we're doing the yacht and diving option again in Micronesia. 2 weeks from now I'm planning to do nothing but eat, sleep, relax and dive. My special brand of heaven. :D

Sure am. Last year I was carpeting my rental property. :D It was actually a good day. This year I am giving myself christmas off. Christmases at my place are low key already. I do like your idea of donating to charity though.

The mindless consumerism of Christmas makes me laugh. Many years ago, when getting into property investing I was helping my family spring clean. I noticed that they were throwing out a lot of stuff which bemused me. I said this to them

"you work hard in jobs you hate to earn money to blow on crap to give to each other out of some mindless obligation. Look what happens to it, we're throwing it out right now" I informed them that I would not be bothering to give them any gifts and expected them to reciprocate by doing the same. This did not go down well, I was belittled and called a "Grinch" but stuck to my guns.

Over many years, I softened and would buy a few gifts if something really stuck out as being useful though nothing extravagant. To my surprise, a few years ago my sister, who was the linchpin when it came to organising Christmas festivities and gift giving had the same revelation. After one stressful Christmas shopping trip and parking dispute too many she banned gift giving at Christmas. I was vindicated!

So refreshing.
My family and I have been on this wave for a while now. Such a good chance to chill-out and enjoy life: less is more.
We still enjoy it but without the pressure and expense and gluttony :p
Merry Christmas btw.

Great idea. Too late for us this year as we've already done our Christmas shopping but we limited ourselves to half our usual spend per person this time. And our family's not big anyway so only a few people to buy for.

But trying to steer away from our son thinking Christmas is all about presents, hard to do with some shopaholics in the family who go way overboard... sigh.

I really don't like xmas's in Perth with hubby's family. If it's held at someone's place other than ours they make you pay for it and you get no say in it. Often we would end up buying McDonalds on the way home because all that the kids ate was chocolate which was placed at their seat and a bread roll with one slice of meat because they would run out of food.
It would be nice to escape Perth this Christmas, still trying to work out a way with pets!

Often we would end up buying McDonalds on the way home because all that the kids ate was chocolate which was placed at their seat and a bread roll with one slice of meat because they would run out of food.

:eek: I didn't know going hungry at a family Xmas do was possible! We are typically still eating the leftovers 3 weeks later.

I really don't like xmas's in Perth with hubby's family. If it's held at someone's place other than ours they make you pay for it and you get no say in it. Often we would end up buying McDonalds on the way home because all that the kids ate was chocolate which was placed at their seat and a bread roll with one slice of meat because they would run out of food.
It would be nice to escape Perth this Christmas, still trying to work out a way with pets!

My girlfriends parents and grandparents got confused with what each other was supplying last Christmas.

End result was no one bought anything, and we had party pies. Meanwhile back at my parents they were eating beef & bourbon, potato bake, bacon wrapped turkey and so on.

My Christmas spirit was stretched pretty thin that year.

Electric ice shavers and wine chillers, ice cream makers, milk frothers and foot spas apparently top a list of the most useless Christmas presents

:eek: I didn't know going hungry at a family Xmas do was possible! We are typically still eating the leftovers 3 weeks later.

My girlfriends parents and grandparents got confused with what each other was supplying last Christmas.

End result was no one bought anything, and we had party pies. Meanwhile back at my parents they were eating beef & bourbon, potato bake, bacon wrapped turkey and so on.

My Christmas spirit was stretched pretty thin that year.

I know, very different to my family Christmas's!

Last edited:
Bah Humbug

Yes, I hate Christmas. Hate it with a passion. To be fair I usually actually enjoy the two days of Christmas - enjoying great food and drinks with the family - but the lead up to Christmas..... no thanks.

I hate how the 'meaning' of Christmas has become a materialistic marketers dream. It has nothing to do with 'giving' anymore and is all about "wanting".

Many years ago I told my family I didn't want anything. Don't buy me a thing. Im not getting you anything either. Most were disappointed when they received nothing from me. I was disappointed they all failed in not getting me something and I ended up with more 'stuff' to clutter my house (most of it was re-gifted or given to the good sammies).
People go stupid at Christmas. Credit card balances skyrocket in order to feel the need to get something for someone. An item which holds little or no value to the person receiving it.
If you want to give me something. Buy me a beer of coffee and lets catch up for a chat. Give me 30mins of your time.

No to mention the stress which goes with organizing everything.

I used to live a couple of hundred kms from my family, and hated making the drive. At the most dangerous time of the year, when everyone is thinking about anything other than what they are doing (ie driving) I was expected to make a 500km drive to Christmas. I ended up in a fairly serious accident on Christmas day when some silly cow ran a red light (she was distracted as she was late to Christmas lunch). I wrote off the car, and dislocated my shoulder. I finally put my foot down and said no more - Im not coming.

This year I will enjoy it with a few friends, and a cooked meal and a couple of drinks. No gift taking. Just some merry wishes.

Bah Humbug!

Rant over.

For those that 'celebrate' Christmas - Merry Christmas.

Blacky

Back