Christmas around the corner

I really don't like xmas's in Perth with hubby's family. If it's held at someone's place other than ours they make you pay for it and you get no say in it. Often we would end up buying McDonalds on the way home because all that the kids ate was chocolate which was placed at their seat and a bread roll with one slice of meat because they would run out of food.
It would be nice to escape Perth this Christmas, still trying to work out a way with pets!

People charge family to have Christmas lunch at their house??? What sort of families are there out there? That is atrocious

Last year we had Christmas in Barcelona, which was good. The kids were chuffed I managed to find a turkey to cook- they like Christmas lunch.

This year it will be at home, as usual. It will be big, as usual. And I will be cooking, as usual - I took over the job from my mother about 10 years ago.

My mother and favourite uncle will come. There will be us and our two girls - 12 and 14. The woman who has lived in our garage for 12 years will be there. The French couple staying upstairs in our Airbnb pad will be with us. So will the other French couple who stayed last year who are friends with the current couple and who now live in Sydney. The Ukrainian family of three who stayed with us last year for a month will come as well - they now live nearby. One of the blokes at work will come with his wife - his kids are older and have moved on. An Aussie/German couple who stayed with us might also come. And there will be a few other strays for sure. There will be 20 people at least, so we'll be eating in my wife's painting studio and I will be digging out the thing I use to extend the table.

We participate in the madness of the full cooked lunch. There will be a glazed ham, two turkeys, and possibly another species - all three ovens at home will be going.

I have given people instructions on what drinks etc to bring, the French people are taking care of the pre dinner eats, and everybody needs to bring a big candle to light the space.

It will be a fabulous day that won't end till some time that evening and I don't feel guilty.

Scott

That sounds brilliant, you're a good egg Scott.

I spent Christmas in Barcelona with my family around d 6 years ago as well, eeeeeeverything was closed!

Not really into it, love the time off. My wife being Colombian really means a lot to her. She hates when I call it the economy generator.

My family all gets together but we don't exchange presents (haven't since my sister and I were kids). About 4-5years ago when hubby (then boyfriend) started joining us for Christmas he insisted on buying presents. It was a stressful experience for everyone and he has since learnt that the way we do it is much better.

We still send presents to my nieces and nephews (hubby's side of the family) but none of the adults get presents, just the kids. I'm sure we will do the same when we have kids.

My mum cook s a massive lunch (with enough for leftovers the next day). We bring the wine/s and my sister brings desserts. We all stay overnight so no-one has to drink and drive.

It's extremely low key with everyone eating and chatting and the mid-afternoon nap before the evening food begins.

Back