Christmas card / gift to tenant ?

G'day guys,

I think this has been discussed some time ago, but I was just wondering again how many people do this. Perhaps just a card or bottle of wine etc. I know PI is a business, but I also think small gestures like this go a long way. Any thoughts ?

Phil :)

I spoke to our PM yesterday, our tenant's lease is up for renewal in January.

PM said she had been round with the new lease and a card and bottle of wine for the tenant.

So in this case the PM gives a present!
Marg

Our tennants both live on the same street as my mum, I dropped a box of chocolates over yesterday, they were really surprised and happy.

My local one that I self manage got a card with a gift voucher for the local garden center in it as I know she's keen to start a veggie patch.

Some give gifts, some don't. I don't! In fact the only gift some of my more dodgy tenants get is the gift of not going to tribunal as they close over Christmas.:eek:

Although in saying that, I think most of mine are reasonably up to date this year. This has to be a first, as if past performance is anything to go by, they usually pay the Landlord last after all their presents etc have been bought. I must say that my PM was very much on the ball this year though and told all of them (because I had 4 that had started the seasonal creep into arrears) that they should make sure all their rent is up to date, since they got the Rudd Chrissy present.:D

BTW, not ALL of my tenants are dodgy before I get slammed here. I do have some exceptionally good ones too, but I don't give them gifts either. I expect all my tenants to honour their contracts and pay in time and look after the place, same as I honour my part of the contract to make timely repairs on the places if & when necessary.

Hi there
we don't usually give Christmas presents - but this year we did give a free weekend to one of our tenants at a property we have at the sunshine coast - because they had to put up with a bed bug saga (that I mentioned in another thread).
I am thinking we may make the same offer to one of our other tenants who is currently being terrorised by vandals.
thanks

My gift is that I provide a roof over their heads:rolleyes::D

I have never really understood this whole 'reward the tenant concept'. We are not trying to be the nice guy we are providing a service for which I expect a regular rent payment, end of story. The currant tenant leaves a new one comes along.

Where is there room here to build relationships? To what end?

As soon as the tenant hits hard times the first thing he stops paying is his rent as he knows that he can stretch it out to 3 months (really trying) before he has to leave.

Cheers

yes but if you give a say $10-$20 box of chocolates or bottle of wine, say your property is $5-$10 per week overpriced, they might say

aw stuff moving, owner is good, we'll stay here

OR

hey the owner is nice, i'd be happy to pay the extra $ in the times when something goes wrong, the owner will look after it better then we have had compared to others (however this may be limited to more expensive properties)

I have never really understood this whole 'reward the tenant concept'. We are not trying to be the nice guy we are providing a service for which I expect a regular rent payment, end of story. The currant tenant leaves a new one comes along.
Exactly. The electricity company, waterboard, council etc don't send gifts. Why should I. I don't have, nor do I want, a personal relationship with my tenants. They are my customers and I provide a service. End of story.
yes but if you give a say $10-$20 box of chocolates or bottle of wine, say your property is $5-$10 per week overpriced, they might say

aw stuff moving, owner is good, we'll stay here

OR

hey the owner is nice, i'd be happy to pay the extra $ in the times when something goes wrong, the owner will look after it better then we have had compared to others (however this may be limited to more expensive properties)

Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

It's nice to give at Christmas. But we give with no expectation that we will get something in return. So we choose to give to charity.

As for gifts for our tenants, we do not think it's necessary for our business. Keeping the property in great condition and do the repair in timely manner are our priority. It's nice that other landlords send gifts to their tennant and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not part of our business strategy. ;)

shouldn't the tenant be buying you a present? you are incurring losses to fund their lifestyle, you should get a medal for public service as well.

We have previously given gifts to acknowledge inconvenience cause to tenants such as turning their carpark into a building site. This year we will give a tin of biscuits to tenants next door. They are also our neighbours and babysitter :)

my tenant's gift was that we didn't raise rent which is up for renewal. It's a nice gesture butI think that's up to the PM. But really the PM just give us gifts since we are the client.

different strokes for different fokes...

imo they are getting the gift of renting my property. most my tenants lie, and wouldnt think of me when they pay their rent a few weeks late.

i went to a house this week, and i did a full reno 3 months ago... tenant has cats, 2 jkids carpets are trashed... walls dirty, scum everywhere... anyways i dont mind, il clean up @ insurance time, they pay the rent on time etc... they said their sister was staying from tasmania there for 2 weks over xmas, however it was strange she was wearing a target uniform however.

i could have easily kicked them out, and gone nuts, but i thought nope i will be constructive... i conditioned her with recent rents, and made her realise she has cheap rent, i also played on emotion on the fact i was the only person willing to give them a fair go as rental are very tight atm... so i rang the agent and said in 1 month time send a rental increase out for $20pw more.

gives me the last laugh, i will keep increasing and they cant go anywhere... i know it will be a mess when they move out, so just leave them there as its not major damage, just needs to be kept eye on.

so all in all, as the old addage goes, BUYER ARE LIARS, and tenants are buying a lease on my properties, im not keen on most of them as they will rape you every time you turn around. if they are a+ tenant and you do cherish them maybe a few movie tix or a bottle of wine or something... but other then that i wouldnt be botherd, i rarely come across these tenants.

different strokes for different fokes...

imo they are getting the gift of renting my property. most my tenants lie, and wouldnt think of me when they pay their rent a few weeks late.

i went to a house this week, and i did a full reno 3 months ago... tenant has cats, 2 jkids carpets are trashed... walls dirty, scum everywhere... anyways i dont mind, il clean up @ insurance time, they pay the rent on time etc... they said their sister was staying from tasmania there for 2 weks over xmas, however it was strange she was wearing a target uniform however.

i could have easily kicked them out, and gone nuts, but i thought nope i will be constructive... i conditioned her with recent rents, and made her realise she has cheap rent, i also played on emotion on the fact i was the only person willing to give them a fair go as rental are very tight atm... so i rang the agent and said in 1 month time send a rental increase out for $20pw more.

gives me the last laugh, i will keep increasing and they cant go anywhere... i know it will be a mess when they move out, so just leave them there as its not major damage, just needs to be kept eye on.

so all in all, as the old addage goes, BUYER ARE LIARS, and tenants are buying a lease on my properties, im not keen on most of them as they will rape you every time you turn around. if they are a+ tenant and you do cherish them maybe a few movie tix or a bottle of wine or something... but other then that i wouldnt be botherd, i rarely come across these tenants.

This ur Town house @ tregear?

I'd suggest PM does abit more DD on screening.

Yeah people wearing target uniforms are the norm when on travel :p

I tried the "give them flowers when they move in" thing, and they turned out to be tenants from hell.
Now it is strictly business.
The last 4-5 tenants from 3 seperate properties have done damage, and tried to cover it up, is this some sort of trendy thing to do from a tenants point of view??

We have had a bit of a bonus from our latest tenants.

They moved in last March, PM subsequently went broke and receivers moved in. Bond and 2 weeks rent they had paid (in cash) had disappeared into thin air along with the previous PM.

By all good fortune they had kept their scrawled receipt, so between our tenants, new PM and our own efforts, last week we received a cheque from the Dept of Fair Trading for the 2 weeks rent, and the bond was forwarded to the relevant authority.

Win win all around.
Marg

Mmmm..............

My tenants did get a pressie.

Why??............well I guess I am a giving kinda guy and they pay between $450 and $550 a week. I also celebrated the fact that now all of my properties are CF+ before tax deduction. I also believe that sometimes it is a good thing just to give as it will usually come back to you one way or another.

Now that I think about it, I recieve every morning as I wake to find that I can still breathe unassisted.;)

Anyway, I wish that you all have a great Christmas and get heaps of undies.:D:D

Cheers.

Chrisv.

if i receive undies, i will probably forward to my tenants as they dont have any, coz they spend all their money on plasma and foxtel.

hahahaha

Back