City Value Indexes

The old thread was getting a little long so I thought I'd start a new one.

Here's a spreadsheet with the latest Residex value indexes for the capital cities up to April 08.

Enjoy, and happy charting :)

Attachments

• indexes.zip
    99 KB · Views: 387
Just did a quick analysis of price movements and a bit surprised with the results:

Melbourne's prices have gone down .5% for the last 4 months; 15.4% increase for the last 12 months
Brisbane's have gone up 5.16% for the last 4 months; 19.1% increase for the last 12 months.
Adelaide's have gone up 6.7%for the last 4 months; 19.9% increase for the last 12 months
Brisbane's have gone up 5.16 for the last 4 months; 19.1% increase for the last 12 months.
Sydney's have gone down .5% for the last 4 months; 5.3 % increase for the last 12 months.

It appears that Brisbane and Adelaide are showing no signs of a slow down. Are these figures a true reflection of what is going on in the market at the moment?

Data to Aug-08

I've updated the spreadsheet with values to Aug-08. I can't seem to find my gold price source though, so that's lapsed for now.

Go ahead and chart away :)

If anyone creates some interesting charts please post them.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• indexes_vo.zip
    41.6 KB · Views: 151
I've attached 2 charts showing relative house price movements since
1) 1996 (the start of the boom)
2) Dec 2003 (the peak of the east coast boom)

Enjoy.

Attachments

• since_2003peak.gif
    since_2003peak.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 214
  • since_1996.gif
    since_1996.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 213
Strong correlation between All Ords and median Sydney houses.
Blue - Sydney houses.
Pink - 110 units of All Ords index.

Attachments

• Sydney houses and All Ords x 110.gif
    Sydney houses and All Ords x 110.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 244
Hi Spark

So a 5% increase in All Ords or a 5% decrease in Sydney median to reach the normal relationship for that chart?

Cheers

Shane

Hi Spark

So a 5% increase in All Ords or a 5% decrease in Sydney median to reach the normal relationship for that chart?

Cheers

Shane

Both values are the outcome of wider variables, such as the strength of the economy and credit. Both depend on the amount of money available. Both are the outcomes/symptoms of the same thing, and when there is a deviation of one, the other will catch up.

Strong correlation between All Ords and median Sydney houses.
Blue - Sydney houses.
Pink - 110 units of All Ords index.

Hi Spark, do you have similar charts for Brisbane and Melbourne?

Would be interesting to see how they compare.

Cheers,

Shadow.

Both values are the outcome of wider variables, such as the strength of the economy and credit. Both depend on the amount of money available. Both are the outcomes/symptoms of the same thing, and when there is a deviation of one, the other will catch up.

Hi Spark

It is an interesting chart. There are some other relationships within the chart to consider when analysing such as volatility and mark to market value. The share market is much more liquid and it is easily marked to market. This increases its volatility esp when compared to a less volatile index such as property with high entry exit costs and poor mark to market pricing.

It certainly is a very interesting relationship. Thx for this.

Cheers

Shane

Last edited:
Hi Shadow

Using Twitch's data set and Spark's relationship, I managed these charts.

Brisbane 69 unit Melbourne 84.47 units

Cheers

Shane

Attachments

• Brisbane.PNG
    Brisbane.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 191
  • melbourne.PNG
    melbourne.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 172
Thank you Plusnq! Great charts.

Please find below for Perth and Adelaide.

Summary: Roughly house prices are correlated to the All Ords index with the following coefficients:

Sydney x 110
Melbourne x 85
Brisbane x 70
Adelaide x 50
Perth x 55
Makes sense, ha?

By looking at the charts above, only Sydney seems to be fairly priced as per today (24/09/2008) minding the long term.

Adelaide & Perth seem to be overpriced big time (unless they have changed dramatically and truly deserve different relation to the All Ords index)

Attachments

• Perth 55.gif
    Perth 55.gif
    9 KB · Views: 181
  • Adelaide 50.gif
    Adelaide 50.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 169
Please find below for Perth and Adelaide.

Summary: Roughly house prices are correlated to the All Ords index with the following coefficients:

Sydney x 110
Melbourne x 85
Brisbane x 70
Adelaide x 50
Perth x 55
Makes sense, ha?

Adelaide & Perth seem to be overpriced big time (unless they have changed dramatically and truly deserve different relation to the All Ords index)

So am I interpreting this correctly...that for a given All Ords value, Perth's median price should be exactly HALF Sydney's??

In that case, I'm not surprised the correlation factor is poor!

Rgds, Chris

September figures are in

Another month, another update :)

Surprisingly, some cities went up....

Attachments

• indexes_vo.zip
    41.6 KB · Views: 147
Back