Clay soil - additional costs

I'm looking at a block in Bassendean, and assuming it has clay soil as close to the river.

Typically any idea of additional costs if clay as I understand certain extras have to be put in place so the house doesn't move and crack.

Add an extra $30k in site works and extra engineering per lot to your figures should be about right for river side of Bassendean

Someone on SS advised that it cost an additional $100K and it was Bassendean.

I believe, similar scenario, similar cost posted on SS, $100K.

I believe some sort of soil report, not sure of the name, can be conducted/placed as a condition of purchase.

Also pockets of Beckenham also has issue with clay, when I mentioned this area to my builder he said "don't look at this area".

There's also an issue with connecting to the councils' stormwater in Bassendean, you have to prove you can't store run-off on the property, if you can, then you have build pits on the property, more expense.

You can add a geotech report (paid for by you) into your Subject To section if you wish, just like a Building and Pest.

Soil issues are fun :eek:

Does anyone have a list of the areas/suburbs where its advisable to get a soil report?

Currently i have
  1. Midland
  2. Pockets of Beckingham
  3. Anywhere near 500m of a river??

The silly thing about these 'clay issues' is that every house in Melbourne is probably built on a 'worse' site. WA builders (and i guess their customers) only build double brick, and those that offer framed homes typically charge a small fortune for the 'privilege'.

I'm convinced there's a niche in the market for a smart eastern states builder to set up in Perth and build framed homes.

I agree about the frame construction. Wanted to go that way on a sloping block with possible clay and only found one builder who would consider it at a premium.

Just remember the geotect surveys are only worth the paper they are written on. Might change totally when they do the earthworks/footings.

I'm not used to these brick and tile homes in Perth, coming from Queensland where there are so many wooden homes.

I grew up in Two storey brick veneer homes. There was so much clay around we'd dig it up and play with it. Would cost a bomb to live in the same sort of house in Perth.

We almost bought a clay block in Bassendean near the river, glad we did not after we had the soil report undertaken and were advised of the $60k in additional preparation work.

Cheers
James

Back