Cleaning costs

A property was recently let. It was vacant for rather longer than I would have liked, a few months, and was clean at the end of the last lease, including steam cleaning. The property is about 100 square metre. The agent suggested that the carpets be steam cleaned and that the property be cleaned. The agent has a contractor that could do the job for "a reasonable price". I agreed. I'm not conversant with Melbourne prices for cleaning. My expectation was about $100-150 for the carpet and about another $50 or so for the dusting, wiping of surfaces, and mopping of the floors, maybe an hour. I would have accepted $250.

The invoice was $385 including GST.

This invoice seems to me to be on the high side, and not the "reasonable price" cited by the agent. Views on the acceptability or otherwise of the invoice and if I should pay something less than the $385 would be valued.

A professional cleaning service in Canberra charged vacating tenants just over $400 the other day for a 110m2 three bedroom house. It included steam cleaning the carpets.

The place was immaculate after they finished - I thought the price was very reasonable given the amount of work/effort that went into it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie, thanks. this gives me a bit more reassurance. However, my property was cleaned professionally at the end of the last lease, and required less work than a property that had just been vacated. I may get some prices.

I would not have authorised another clean when you already just had one done and no one had since been living in the place.

Was there any reason why the property needed another full clean? Did the last tenants not clean it properly? Was the place just dusty?

$385 seems a lot for something that is not required.

I can top this - I was charged by a PM $600 for a clean!

And this was a property I just bought with vacant possession, that was cleaned well by the vendor on departure!

The lesson here is - if you think you can organise it cheaper yourself, give it a go, and establish ground rules with your PM on your expectations on these costs.

Having said that - it doesn't sound too crazy. Why not call up a few places in your area and double check?

Depending on just how 'dusty' it was - if the cleaners had to wipe dust off of every single surface in the property, then that would take time I suppose. I'm not a cleaner, but I would think that 'dusting' is much easier than 'cleaning'.

I would expect a discount for cleaning an already clean property.

The $385 does sound excessive to me, unless they found lots of bits that the first cleaner and PM had missed..

Matt

I use gumtree a lot, can get far better pricing, epseically for cash,

however you do stuff around a bit more, both the service provider and customer,

but thats the trade off

I was at the property the day before the cleaner attended and the place was pretty clean.

Some prices. One is for $40/room steam cleaning and $36/hour for cleaning. So, $160 for the carpets and say $70 for two hours is $230. However, they say that it will take seven hours to clean! For a place that is empty and was professionally cleaned a few months ago, taking seven hours seems to me to be excessive.

I should have specified a maximum price.

Depending on the other quotations I may not pay the full amount. I've done this before with a cretinous PM who did not give a painter the colours that I supplied. The same PM tried to rip me off, taking monies when not authorised to do so. I threatened legal action and he backed off. All the way. The timing was good - he had just found a tenant. I self-managed for a year. There should be a national database of idiot managers, just like for tenants.

Keen to Clean - they're in most places in Melbourne, charge $33 an hour (inc GST when I last used them). If you say to them - Do A B & C, you've got 3 hours they'll call before they go over the hourly limit that you have set.

I've not used them for Carpet cleaning though.

Can you get the invoice broken down?

7 hours is excessive, especially on a place that is just dusty and needs a wipe over.

I usually see $30-$40p/h with a min 2-3hour hire.

Sounds a bit much, I wouldn't have thought the carpets needed cleaning again after just a couple of months. A what I call Touch up clean, to freshen the place should only cost you $200 or less. Should only need surface dust clean and touch up to remove any musty smell if the house has been closed up for a while.

I would question this bill also.

On second thoughts this is a bit much. I take back what I said earlier.

Seems like you got the 'unit' version of what happened to me with my 'house'.

I believe the terminology in regards to the service requested plays an important role here. Sounds like you needed a 'refresher clean' (a on off once over, $$) whereas you got a 'move out / bond clean' (i.e. much harder work, $$$$).

I had this stupid argument with my PM. The house was already clean.

The above advice about touch-up or refresher clean is good. Thanks. Next time...

There are no further quotations yet.

It gets a bit worse. The PM advised that the shower was leaking, This is most probably a seal at the bottom of the glass that has perished. Easily fixed, if at the expense of time. I said as much on Wednesday 10 July at 9.45 am, and again at about 4.30 pm. My intention was to fix the shower and look at the smoke alarm. The PM did not reply. Late yesterday I sent another email along the lines that if the PM will not give a time and date for the job then the PM is responsible, not me.

Amazing! Just as I am keying this post the PM got back to me about the email of 10 July, two days ago. Staff are absent. Must be the Melbourne winter heat.

I sent an email to a tenant on Tuesday regarding a few things, including to check the smoke alarm. No reply from him either. I just sent another email to the other two tenants a short time ago. On the good advice of someone here I printed the emails.

The above advice about touch-up or refresher clean is good. Thanks. Next time...

There are no further quotations yet.

It gets a bit worse. The PM advised that the shower was leaking, This is most probably a seal at the bottom of the glass that has perished. Easily fixed, if at the expense of time. I said as much on Wednesday 10 July at 9.45 am, and again at about 4.30 pm. My intention was to fix the shower and look at the smoke alarm. The PM did not reply. Late yesterday I sent another email along the lines that if the PM will not give a time and date for the job then the PM is responsible, not me.

Amazing! Just as I am keying this post the PM got back to me about the email of 10 July, two days ago. Staff are absent. Must be the Melbourne winter heat.

I sent an email to a tenant on Tuesday regarding a few things, including to check the smoke alarm. No reply from him either. I just sent another email to the other two tenants a short time ago. On the good advice of someone here I printed the emails.
Wow.... Just..... Wow.

Perhaps time to check out our recommended PM thread!!!

It's sorted, if a bit later than I would have liked. On Monday I fix the shower and check the smoke alarm. The PM is okay, just busy due to absent staff. I like the permanency of emails, evidentiary should the need arise.

Last time for a 4x2 it cost us approx $500

Included 4 staff cleaning 'everything' and then another 2 doing a Carpet Dry Cleaning job

Have a quote coming in for a 3x1 next day or two

<edit>

Looking at Melbgal's valid point's I should add, for the first, we were the tenants, for the second, we are organising for family members

Last edited:
I had similar issue recently....but with locksmith. Lost the key for garage back door and PM arranged locksmith to arrange 2 keys for existing lock and came with cost abt $150....is this reasonable?
I am thinking of telling PM to arrange atleast 3 quotes for all the future non urgent queries...

Back