Clothes dryer

Hi All
A question for the sparkies on SS
My dryer has stopped blowing hot air. What causes this ?
Thermostat ?? are they worth getting fixed or should l just bin it?
cheers
yadreamin

Most I have looked at don't have a thermostat. They have 2 heat settings only with a temperature overload.

What commonly happens is fluff builds up around the heating element and smoulders. The element fails at these points.

Its not a major job to replace the element but I have not done one for a long time so don't know if its cost effective anymore. Rather than an electrician call an appliance repair place. They should be able to give you a price to replace the element and you can decide then if its worth taking in.
Just be aware many charge ~$100 just to inspect.

Mine was the element had broken which caused it not to heat. I bought a replacement element for mine off ebay for about $40. Hubby had no trouble fitting it (the very nice seller sent hand-written instructions on how to install it for us as we had no idea :) )

Mine was the element had broken which caused it not to heat. I bought a replacement element for mine off ebay for about $40. Hubby had no trouble fitting it (the very nice seller sent hand-written instructions on how to install it for us as we had no idea :) )
I hope you weren't advising someone with no knowledge to do a handyman job. :eek:

Thanks for the replies.
We have a great local appliance and parts fella here in town. I will give him a call.
I wouldnt replace the element myself as the dryers are a big enough hazard on their own with out me tampering with it.
cheers

Back