Coating for asbestos roof ?

It's a block of 5 units about 8m x 42m so thats a lot of roof (336sm) plus the asbestos removal...

Either way it's not $6500... Like the coating.

I figure it's been up there 50 years and now with a protective coat it will go another 10 at least and then I might remove it..

Better than house paint !

If you are only wanting it to look better, I'd go the house paint for the cheapest fix before you replace it, if that is indeed on the agenda. Or do nothing but fix the leaks.

Shame to pay $6K to have it done properly and find it still leaks and someone will still want a price reduction due to having that type of roof if you ever sell.

If it is only looks from uphill, is it worth even spending $6K on it?

Will you get more rent with a nicer roof?
Will you get more if you sell for having a "nicer looking" asbestos roof. It is still what it is an when you sell, it will still drag the price down.

If you can live with an ugly roof and get the same rent, why do anything other than try to patch the leaks?

If you are only wanting it to look better, I'd go the house paint for the cheapest fix before you replace it, if that is indeed on the agenda. Or do nothing but fix the leaks.

Shame to pay $6K to have it done properly and find it still leaks and someone will still want a price reduction due to having that type of roof if you ever sell.

If it is only looks from uphill, is it worth even spending $6K on it?

Will you get more rent with a nicer roof?
Will you get more if you sell for having a "nicer looking" asbestos roof. It is still what it is an when you sell, it will still drag the price down.

If you can live with an ugly roof and get the same rent, why do anything other than try to patch the leaks?

I used house paint on an asbestos roof only after the building inspector gave me the OK to walk on it. I used an airless spray. The asbestos was thirsty so did soak in. When on the roof you can see a few defects, but from the ground/street you cant tell. It gave it a lot better appearance from the street.

I used house paint on an asbestos roof only after the building inspector gave me the OK to walk on it. I used an airless spray. The asbestos was thirsty so did soak in. When on the roof you can see a few defects, but from the ground/street you cant tell. It gave it a lot better appearance from the street.

Hyseria Im guessing you didn't pressure clean prior to painting then? Did you use chorine or something else? Im wondering about oxylic acid which is a good natural alternative for cleaning dark and mouldy deck timber but breaks down quickly so no probs if ends up in stormwater.

I have read about using a chlorine cleaning as the lichen needs to be totally dead plus some paint wont bond to asbestos and will just peel.

I'm doing this up for the long run as I like rolling income. Will it get me more rent .... Maybe but not enough to recover the outlay. I get a return of about $70k a year so I'm spending year one on the reno.

Purchase price was $1.09m listed I bought for $765k so I'm miles ahead and the % return is great.

I'm doing a full Reno inside each one and this will lift the return another 20%

Pretty good. Plus it's in a great area with very nice homes. It was the ugly duck in the street. .....

I believe that asbestos removal can be claimed 100% off the tax in the year the work is done (as opposed to depreciation) that might make the figures work better.

if your miles ahead bite the bullet n get a new roof then?
and if your doing the units up properly why not do the roof?

I'll check the tax thing... Sounds good if you can do 100%

Also as per before it can last another 50 years so why bother if it's fully sealed ?

Leave it and seal it...

Have you thought of putting battens over the top of the asbestos and then new roof sheeting? There would be some modifications needed to fascia lines but nothing drastic.
Obviously you would have to check with local depts

Hyseria Im guessing you didn't pressure clean prior to painting then? Did you use chorine or something else? Im wondering about oxylic acid which is a good natural alternative for cleaning dark and mouldy deck timber but breaks down quickly so no probs if ends up in stormwater.

No pressure cleaning, i used a roof cleaner from bunnings, i sprayed it on with with one of those 10 liter garden sprayers you pump up. The chemicals break down the growth on the roof. Then after about 4 weeks after all the growth had broken down I sprayed the roof.

I rememebr I started spraying the colour at 5 in the morning, it was summer here and the roof heated up that quick so had to get a coat on before the sun got to high.

There is a super six asbestos roofing which is quite thick and rigid and normally ok to walk on . There is another asbestos roofing which is only about 4mm thick, if you have this you might be out of luck getting it sprayed. Its to risky walking on it as it is very brittle and cracks easy.

Id go for a new roof.

Cost too much?

You can remove the asbestos roof for nothing over time. Just take the sheets off one by one, carefully break them into small pieces and put them into your garbage bin to be collected every week! presto!

LOL. Just ignore the above paragraph - its illegal and dangerous.

Funny that as a kid we used to used to play with fibro, eg use it as chalk and it also made a great frisbee.

Must have been safe back then.

Funny that as a kid we used to used to play with fibro, eg use it as chalk and it also made a great frisbee.

Must have been safe back then.

It’s a mixed bag of luck. My old man use to cut it up with an angle grinder 40 years back with no mask with no problems so far. On the other hand one of my old bosses died from Mesothelioma not that long ago (only dealt with the roof sheets), also the guy that use to cart the fibro roofing away in the bins died from it as well.
I stripped it out in a big hall 20 years back and you couldn’t see through the dust. I remember pulling my shirt up over my mouth and nose just in case.

It's super 6 ... I'm going with the government approved system..

At least it has some basis of engineering behind it...

Flash forward 20 years... It's a dangerous chemical too ! Hahahahahah ..

Actually Not funny at all ...

The Fibroseal is all booked in... I'll let you know how well it goes and take some pix... Plus I'll try and get a read on actual heat reduction..

If this solves 2 problems..

Asbestos coated and safe and
Insulation of the roof and a reduction in internal heat

Then it's pretty good value... In my book..

10 years plus so that's $600 year or $50 month ! Only $11.50 week..

Less depreciation claim... Yep good value..

I always try and think long term on this stuff...

Mind you one day when I'm 80 (I guess that won't work ! Hahaha) well maybe for the kids !

Back