Coffee Snob...

Does anyone else share an addiction for the simple, yet refined things in life?

For me, after having lived in Melbourne for a few years I must say, I have become a coffee snob :eek: You see, it is almost impossible to be served a bad brew in Melbourne, anyone who stays for just a while, will depart with a highly elevated expectation from every subsequent shot of black gold.

Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean your average cup becomes something of a repugnant assault upon your civility. Whilst living in Melbourne I bought a Nespresso machine and I can hear the true connoisseurs in outrage now...;) Yes it is a coffee capsule machine, bot OMG does it make one heck of an espresso, quickly and without a mess!

Now that I live in the US, I have truly come to appreciate just how much of a coffee snob I really am... you see, most American coffee is just down right nasty. To me it seems vile, repugnant, an assault upon aficionado's of coffee...:( My only saving grace, is my delectable Nespresso ;)

I am interested if I am alone on this desolate island of coffee snobbery...because it really is a nice little spot that should be shared and savoured! :D

Why yes I do believe I am a coffee snob.

I was introduced to the word-> 'latte' here on the forum, went and ordered one and never looked back.

I am an occasional coffee snob, a couple of times a week, depending where I am, time available...I don't have any apparatus at home apart from a small plunger, (one cup with breakfast, only coffee drinker in the family).

The best regional, most rural latte so far (Vic only) is the little cafe on the edge of the Wyperfeld National Park, in Rainbow. Not the bakery, it's good for a pie, but the cafe coffee, it is 11 out of 10. They use a Vittoria something or other.

I find although I don't drink much coffee, when I do, I need to ask for on the stronger side, 'some' places try to serve warm milk, so I ask for strong as I order.

The best Melbourne latte was on the Docklands with my MB, I forget the name of the place.

Canberra was exceptional, I couldn't go wrong, especially the Mint, the cute guy at the coffee shop in the Canberra Mint makes an incredible latte..

Before I knew 'about' coffee and it's funny little labels and stuff I was in Paris at a rest't and ordered a double expresso, thinking it was some cool cuppucino with extra froth :p and got served up molten lava rocket fuel...I had one sip and it nearly sent me into a seizure, I snuck it into a potplant near my table, I swear it wilted and died immediately. Good lesson that.

So, in brief:

-1 a day, if I am about I will buy one, have my favorite places and always ask for the smaller cup and strong. It is a beautiful pleasure of my life.

I'm not a coffee snob, but it does tick me off when I can't find a decent tall, skinny, decaf, low-fat vanilla eco-friendly latte, extra whip with chocolate sprinkles on top :rolleyes:

I was introduced to the word-> 'latte' here on the forum, went and ordered one and never looked back.

My friend introduced me to them a couple of years ago... yum! I do appreciate a nice latte from time to time, but I'm too much of a tightwad to spend money regularly on coffees, so it's home instant coffee for me most of the time. :eek:

We have an espresso machine at home (use pre-ground Harris - strongest I can buy) and I really hate paying for a coffee if it turns out to be almost warm milk. I don't think I am a snob, but drinking bad coffee is like eating bad food. I try not to :D.

We went to the US nearly five years ago, and gave up trying to get a decent coffee. We switched to tea :p. They cannot do too much to tea.

We did find a little cafe in San Francisco and another in Santa Monica where we had great coffee, but every other time we tried, we couldn't drink it. I know this sounds snobby, the the two cafes where we found great coffee, we KNEW as soon as we entered, that we would be in luck and we decided to order coffee instead of the now standard tea. The atmosphere was "different". I'm not sure what it was, but I get the same feeling here in Australia, and it is generally right. Maybe we can smell a decent coffee??

Maybe we can smell a decent coffee??

Spot on.

I've become a terrible snob since returning to Australia. I feel for you Indifference, in the land of stewed coffee.

Sydney has overtaken Melbourne as good coffee goes, imo. (Ducking for cover). They make it stronger. There is a little cafe called Single Origin Roasters, 60 Reservoir St, Surry Hills, which rocks. A double shot cappuccino nearly blew my head off with flavour. In a nice way.

For those in Adelaide you can't go wrong at Zest in Glenelg.

If anyone knows of a decent coffee cafe place on the Central Coast NSW please sing out.

Yes, i am a coffee snob.
I have been called it by my girlfriend and others when she was telling a story about a recent trip.
We were driving to port arthur in Hobart, and 10 mins out of Hobart i come to a a sign that says food, coffee, rest etc. Now being 10 mins out of Hobart i thought, yeah this will do for brekky.
So we go in and i order a latte, and guess what they do.
They bring out the Nescafe blend 43, tip some into a cup,
They froth the milk on a frother that looked like it was from 1953
Then gave it to me.
I walked out paying $4.20 and it went into the bin at a maccas i saw 10 mins down the road.
Luckily there was a mc cafe there so i had my coffee.

why yes i am a coffee snob.

We have a nespresso machine at work which i have become quite fond of, particularly the pink caps. No idea what their blend is, but i know i like it.

At home i have a delonghi machine that grinds fresh beans for each cup and wow does it make a difference. However having grown up working in many a coffee shop i made sure i had a steam arm to do my own milk.. i dont like the automatic milk function.

Beans were trial and error, but i am not using Campos organic beans which are beautiful and smooth.

My pet hate is cool coffee... warm it up people! i understand the concept of not burning the beans, but some places have taken it to the extreme... i have now taken to ordering coffee "extra hot"

If i am forced to have instant i prefer a robert timms coffee bag... but really i avoid the instant these days.

I love you Latte's:D

Ahhhh.....not a coffee snob at all.

Only started drinking coffee 4 years ago when working for an Italian company. All the ITs reckon Aussies wouldn't know a good coffee if it bit 'em on the bum, so we never tried to compete. Could give it up tomorrow.

My favourite - huge big jar of Moccona, level 4, cost $ 11.00 and makes about 300 cups. Too easy.

The other $ 1,200 not spent goes into paying interest to own factories.

Life is way way way too long to waste money on coffee.

Does anyone else share an addiction for the simple, yet refined things in life?

For me, after having lived in Melbourne for a few years I must say, I have become a coffee snob :eek: You see, it is almost impossible to be served a bad brew in Melbourne, anyone who stays for just a while, will depart with a highly elevated expectation from every subsequent shot of black gold.

Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean your average cup becomes something of a repugnant assault upon your civility. Whilst living in Melbourne I bought a Nespresso machine and I can hear the true connoisseurs in outrage now...;) Yes it is a coffee capsule machine, bot OMG does it make one heck of an espresso, quickly and without a mess!

Now that I live in the US, I have truly come to appreciate just how much of a coffee snob I really am... you see, most American coffee is just down right nasty. To me it seems vile, repugnant, an assault upon aficionado's of coffee...:( My only saving grace, is my delectable Nespresso ;)

I am interested if I am alone on this desolate island of coffee snobbery...because it really is a nice little spot that should be shared and savoured!

You need to go to the "Tea Leaf and Coffee Bean" shops.

I was amazed at how big the take-out culture is over there with coffee.

Ya just can't walk around in L.A without one on yer hand, and a shrunken dog in yer purse and the other hand holding the "cell" which is permanently planted in yer ear. :D

take-out culture is over there with coffee.

Ya just can't walk around in L.A without one on yer hand, and a shrunken dog in yer purse and the other hand holding the "cell" which is permanently planted in yer ear. :D

Sounds like the perfect human being Marc...

guilty as charged = i am a coffee snob!

in melb i believe we have best coffee in the world.

brisbane has been horrible, that airport cafe used to serve up latte's in tall glasses that looked like vanilla milkshakes. I remember a buying trip to Mackay and we asked for café lattes and the woman said ' they are the one's with milk'?
Her daughter then proceeded to put some international roast into a mug fill it with milk and stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes!!

my aust rankings would be melb, syd, perth, darwin, hobart, bris, ade

found the coffee in france, italy, london and especially USA horrible.

The Italians only seemed to drink express o's which were good but I can only handle one for breakfast and then like lattes or flat whites after that and basically they don't believe in drinking coffee like that so just serve up rubbish

i have not been to New York but apparently a group of guys from Melb have been opening café's and blitzing the market servicing coffee like they made in melb.

Luckily within 100m of my office we have 8 Café's and 3 of them serve great coffee :)

amen, Dazz.

coffee is coffee. it's a dried bean, crushed and water poured over it.

Water - pfft - only if you're a Nancy.

We had this great thing going with the Italians. They were going on about how us Ozzies were so immature in our coffee tastes, milk - huh - babies, too much water blah blah blah.

We couldn't of cared less. Just to wind them up, we'd go in the kitchen just when they were and smother the awful brown **** they were drinking with plenty of milk and anything else to dilute the taste.

They'd pull out these little itzy bitzy cups that belong in a little girls toy tea set, spend 30 minutes fluffing and poncing about, putting enough brown sugar (no white sugar you Ozzie babies) to make the spoon stand straight up.

Then whooska, down in one gulp, cup in sink unwashed and straight back to their desk. Ozzies can clean up the mess. I swear they didn't actually taste it.

I said one day, "why muck around with the water, just grab a handful of beans and crunch on them"....I was officially the uncoolest, uncultured non-handbag carrying Ozzie they'd ever met......I said mate....you obviously haven't been out to Quilpie / Eromanga or Cunnamulla yet. They thought I'd sworn at 'em. hahahaha :D

people like to take the p1ss out of evyrthing and eveyrone

coffeee is a beverage, people like beverages... jsut cause some don't I rfail to see why they take the p1ss out of the people of a nation who does enjoy it

So what the Italians drink short strong epresso's and you don't - if you didnt; take the p1ss out of their little cups etc etc etc they probalby wouldnt take the p1ss out of you

Big, big, BIG coffee snob here :eek:

I do a weekly run to a boutique coffee roaster in Marrickville to buy whole beans roasted just 24 hours earlier. I buy unhomogenised jersey milk directly from a farmer at the Lilyfield markets. Supermarket milk just doesn't cut it. I grind my own beans in a commercial grinder and I pour latte art :eek:

I justify it all by telling myself how much I save each week by not having to go to cafes!

Back