Coffee Snob...

I make fresh ground plunger coffee at home. It usually turns out OK. Or from work which is not as good.

I will buy coffee when I'm not in my normal locations.

I ordered one today and sat and waited. In the next ten minutes two other customers ordered and received theirs. The two guys were standing around- I was just about to walk out when there was some suddne activity, and a coffee was produced.

"Sorry the coffee was late, your order got lost on the table".

One coffee and no other customers.

A franchise patisserie in Weston in case anybody is interested.

Oh Noooooooo! Life is way way too short to have bad (instant) coffee. This of course is coming from a self-confessed coffee snob!

Took the words right out of my mouth! I was reading Dazz's post and thinking "no way - life is too short for cr*p coffee! I hate to admit it....but I'm also a coffee snob.

Melbourne does raise the bar. It's tough finding a decent coffee in Canberra. Glass House cafe in Civic on citywalk is the best I've found so far.

Cheers

Jamie

Maybe a snob in reverse.
I have been in Australia for about 6 weeks now, and I don't think I can stomach to purchase another cup of cappiccino or regular coffee.
It is just tooooo strong and disgusting to drink !!!
We buy instant coffee at $4 jar, and I actually enjoy the taste.

I will need to find another drink for restaurant meals.
For the last week I have been bringing a bottle of cordial mixed up in my pepsi bottle.
Went to a restaurant last week, and they didn't even serve water..unless it bottled and you had to buy it !!!

Do you guys understand what instant coffee is ?

I think the biggest problem is that people get into the coffee business - cause now it's popular and trendy so might as well jump in & get some - without knowing how to make a coffee ! You get all these franschise muffin / donut shops tezching teenagers how to pour milk inot a a cup and come out with fancy patterns...

A properly made coffee tastes like a properly made coffee - in Perth that's 1/2the hassle, finding someone that can do it properly..

I know a few places that are my favourites .. seems to be sort of getting better... but in europe or melbourne, it was almost the other way around,... nearly everwhere served good coffee complaining about a bad coffee wouldnt have made you a snob more so you may be ignroant if you didnt notice the difference !

With my little machine at home, I finally worked it out and could pull a better shot of coffee than 1/2 these franchised stores would serve up... it's about learning ot use the tools and the beans and I think too many shops which charge for coffee in Perth, couldn't give 2 ****s about that (but they'll still charge you full price) If not being happy about htat makes me a snob, no probs, I'll wear the label

I think the biggest problem is that people get into the coffee business - cause now it's popular and trendy so might as well jump in & get some - without knowing how to make a coffee ! You get all these franschise muffin / donut shops tezching teenagers how to pour milk inot a a cup and come out with fancy patterns...

Agree 100%. And it's not just the muffin/donut places. Most of the cafes are volume/profit driven and care little about how it actually tastes. Most don't even have freshly roasted beans or grind and leave the coffee sitting in the doser for hours on end. Sadly, the Nespressos do better coffees than many cafes I have been to.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I was reading Dazz's post and thinking "no way - life is too short for cr*p coffee! I hate to admit it....but I'm also a coffee snob.

I reckon it's what you're used to. I never used to drink coffee at all, but forced myself to a few years ago when I was studying and working full time to keep me awake so I could study at nights. I knew my father drank International Roast so that's what I bought and didn't know any better. Decided to "upgrade" one day and bought Nescafe. I tasted International Roast one day after becoming used to the "nicer" stuff... Ewwww, never again! I bet if I bought fancy coffee's every day I'd find my quick instant Nescafe revolting too. Bit like wine, I absolutely can not stand the taste of it. I'm told it's an "acquired taste", but I don't see why I'd force myself to drink it to the point that I acquire the taste for it. For now the whole fancy coffee thing is part of my "delayed gratification" plan. :)

I enjoy a good long or short black and know which places to avoid and where to go for a good one, but am more than happy drinking my 5 or 6 Moccona coffees (with milk) everyday as well.

Does that make me a part time coffee snob?

the problem biggles isn't JUST about becoming inducted into likng higher quality, it's the fact that people pass off CRAP as real coffee ! and people believe it in order to not miss out being seen as partaking in the latest of trends.....

Self confessed coffee snob here to, actually i'm a member of coffeesnobs.com.au lol.

Going to get my own espresso machine and grinder next week too.

I always have to have the freshest beans, fresh milk, proper technique in pulling the shot (tamping, grind, steaming, temp etc)

Won't go near that nespresso or pre ground/vac packed junk hehehehehehe (just opened a can of worms!)

Beans you buy in the supermarket pre-packed are all generally stale.

Fresh roasted beans and they last a couple weeks.

being a coffee snob comes part of living in Melb and being a cyclist! :D

I bought beans in small quantaties (the machine is currently resting while the grinder is sitting borken). By the end of the week, I could see the difference in the shot of coffee I'd make for breakfast.. Freshness does make a difference, and as it's the same price, why not...

If you are going to get a machine, then yeah definitley get a grinder.

The nespresso machines actually impressed me to be honest.. I only have espresso or short machiatto anyway, so I dont care to much that the milk doesn't seem to be warm enough...

But.. the shot of coffee, thumbs up.. we had one at work.. not sure how much this really helped or not, but I reckoon it did.. put the pod intot he machine ready to pull the shot, then leave it there for about 1 minute, then pull the shot. Of course the other mistake people make is to pull too long a shot, ruins the taste, pulll two shots if you want more....

Good old Nescafe-43 beans in every cup.

Seriously, they seem to go gaga for Toby's Estate coffee around where I live.

http://www.tobysestate.com.au/

http://www.tobysestate.com.au/cat/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1469

Also this place used to have a retail shop where you could try coffee from beans sourced from all over the world...now I think they just sell the roasted beans

http://www.coffee.com.au/the_coffee_roaster_in_sydney.htm

Anyone tried this coffee?

http://www.indonesiangrocery.com/

http://kopiluwak.info/

Noone knew what I was talking about when I was in Sumatra and asking Indonesians about this stuff.

I grow my own coffee - lots of hassle to harvest but great when you have that first cup and you know its all yours. Good job I don't drink too much proper coffee as I would need a few more trees.
I also grow my own tea too much easier to harvest and get black green and oolong from the same bush!.

Ajax, 2 people have told me they tried ti and were amazed, but that's all I know about that kopiluwak coffee

mrsdawnrazor, how cool, growing your own beans, how do you roast them ?

Canberra, just off top of head:

-In Kingston the Grind and Velo's both Eyre St, even the pubs were good coffee

-Coffee shop in the mint

-Old Parliament House-Gingers! (nice meal too)

-Pancake Parlour in the city does great coffee AND steak

Back