Coffee Snob...

I'm a green tea matcha and green tea snob!

:D This is a whole new thread!!!.... As I am not entirely self-absorbed with investing (ahem) I also indulge in the simple pleasure of tea... BUT, there is far more to tea (in a traditional, cultural & spiritual sense) then merely differing varieties.

Wow, it is so good to hear someone else enjoys Japanese matcha... I even have the clay bow, bamboo whisk and a Tatami room! ;)

Another good tea is the Silver Needle... a very rich/vibrant history behind this one, and quite a striking white tea.

To be able to enjoy life's simple pleasures goes far beyond the material world we find ourselves consumed by every day...

You must know your wines Charlie, vasse wine makers come from good stock.

Are you related to them intrigued or are you the owner of the company???

Vasse Felix is a favourite of ours particularly Kaths.

Getting back to coffee our favourite beans come from a roaster at Young called Art Of Espresso. The best beans (in our opinion) they have are called Giselle (named after their daughter). They are entering it in some coffee show soon so will be interested to see how they go.

The Art of Espresso business owners are passionate about coffee and are striving to bring great coffee to us rurals who are ten years behind.

Was it Vasse Felix???

Forgive my ignorance, (I thought at the time I need to be taking notes on this) --I 'think' somekind of semillion (sp?). The person who knew about the wines was explaining to me, it was really interesting because I had only ever had sweeter white wines, and this was a fantastic experience learning about such difference(s) and what I personally like.

I owe her a bottle of white wine, over 2 days I got an education and drinks, I'll catch up hopefully and write the types (specifics) down.

Green tea and jasmine (dilmah) is beautiful.

Semillons are also made into sweet white wines, very sweet desertsones too. I liked the dry style more myself too.

Back onto coffees, any perth people on this thread ? Ever been to "EPIC" in West Perth ? Read it was one of the best... Also newish one for me Velvet Espresso in King St city

:D This is a whole new thread!!!.... As I am not entirely self-absorbed with investing (ahem) I also indulge in the simple pleasure of tea... BUT, there is far more to tea (in a traditional, cultural & spiritual sense) then merely differing varieties.

Wow, it is so good to hear someone else enjoys Japanese matcha... I even have the clay bow, bamboo whisk and a Tatami room! ;)

Another good tea is the Silver Needle... a very rich/vibrant history behind this one, and quite a striking white tea.

To be able to enjoy life's simple pleasures goes far beyond the material world we find ourselves consumed by every day...

I love meeting fellow tea connoisseurs!

Yes I too have the traditional Japanese bamboo whisk with a hand crafted clay bowl (T2 is so pricey but so worth it :)) and matcha powder that I store in a airtight container in the fridge.

I generally have a shot of matcha in the morning after my soy oats... then during the day at work I simply drink sencha... about 3-5 cups a day.

I love white tea silver needles too, but they are much pricier, although I might get it next time Im in T2.

I should probably buy it online though, so much cheaper.

And yes, matcha wakes me up and gives me so much more steady energy than coffee ever will without the jitters.

Back onto coffees, any perth people on this thread ? Ever been to "EPIC" in West Perth ? Read it was one of the best... Also newish one for me Velvet Espresso in King St city

Epic is in my top 3 cafes in Perth. There are some murmurs that it went downhill a little when it changed hands about a year or so ago, but the mojo is still great - a short shot of espresso (ristretto) poured over a big dollop of molten chocolate, fantastic. Their straight espresso is very sweet, but much much shorter than I'm used to in Melbourne, so definitely order a double. However I can do without their food.

The previoius owners of Epic now run Elixir on Stirling Highway in Nedlands, next to Chelsea Pizza.

Velvet is ok, but if I'm in that part of town I walk to the other end of King St for Zekka, definitely the best coffee within the CBD. Food is fantastic too.

Cheers
Jonathon

Epic is in my top 3 cafes in Perth. There are some murmurs that it went downhill a little when it changed hands about a year or so ago, but the mojo is still great - a short shot of espresso (ristretto) poured over a big dollop of molten chocolate, fantastic. Their straight espresso is very sweet, but much much shorter than I'm used to in Melbourne, so definitely order a double. However I can do without their food.

The previoius owners of Epic now run Elixir on Stirling Highway in Nedlands, next to Chelsea Pizza.

Velvet is ok, but if I'm in that part of town I walk to the other end of King St for Zekka, definitely the best coffee within the CBD. Food is fantastic too.

Cheers
Jonathon

Cheers for that.. tyhikn I've seen Zekka but not sure where they are - on King ST ??

Yep at the bottom of King St, just before you hit Wellington St. It's actually a combined cafe and men's clothes store - the clothes are far too fashionable for me, but the coffee at the back is perfect. The sign is quite small, so it's easy to miss, especially as the cafe itself is at the end of a walkway.

I like to drink tea made with Red Rose teabags.First you put the kettle on the stove, drop in 2 teabags,4 cups of water,bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes.If you don't drink it all, add 3 cups of water and another teabag (don't remove the others) bring to boil and then steep again. Repeat until end of day...start over again the morning with an empty kettle.

Beautiful !!!

Yep at the bottom of King St, just before you hit Wellington St. It's actually a combined cafe and men's clothes store - the clothes are far too fashionable for me, but the coffee at the back is perfect. The sign is quite small, so it's easy to miss, especially as the cafe itself is at the end of a walkway.

Gotcha ............

I like to drink tea made with Red Rose teabags.First you put the kettle on the stove, drop in 2 teabags,4 cups of water,bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes.If you don't drink it all, add 3 cups of water and another teabag (don't remove the others) bring to boil and then steep again. Repeat until end of day...start over again the morning with an empty kettle.

Beautiful !!!

Just like that, us coffeee people can taste the difference in coffee.

Surely it's as acceptable with coffee as it is with tea or hot chocolate (or any other hobbies that people take on like golf or motorcycles etc.. ) ?

I worked making coffee for quite a while, and we got quite a few Americans coming in. I would always have to double check their order because I know they don't usually like coffee like we have it (and I always felt guilty giving them their watered down, terrible tasting 'Americano'). Last I heard, Australia is the second biggest consumer of espresso coffee outside of Europe...or it might have even been outside of Italy, although that doesn't seem right to me.

Hey those who know....

We had a nespresso machine at work..

What I used to do, was put th pod in and wait a mnute or (i'd fill up my water bottle etc). I convinced myself the coffe came out a bit better for it.....

Also tried that at home wth my macine, but not so sure, too many other variables like ME...

I've been told by someone that when they were trraining they weret told not to do that... anyway... just curious.

Finally bought a decent cup of coffee today.
Thought we'd go for a drive today and ended up in Yass,NSW.Even though we had our water bottles and cake with us, we wanted a mid afternoon snack.Stopped at decent looking take away and placed our order. We said we would like to have 2 coffees, but wished we could just have an instant coffee. "Certainly !! How do you take it?" We couldn't believe it. Finally drank coffee we actually enjoyed.
Sat at a little table outside eating our corn dog and french fries..drinking coffee. Wow, the ambiance was more than we could imagined.
Loved it.

It's sounds like you had a nice day out kathryn. Good on you.

Work, cleaning the spa and patio, grocery shopping, washing and what seems like a house full of wannabe DJ's (fortunately i like their music) for me.

Back