Contemplating a move to Brisbane, some insight appreciated...

We will only let you in if you stop calling us "Brisvegas" :eek:.
Hahaha! Fair enough!!

Kay already said that we're not allowed to be "Sydneysiders" in Brisbane. To which I asked: What does that mean? She said that we're not allowed to walk around and make disparaging comparisons to Sydney...

I agreed and said I didn't think that was a high risk scenario... ;)

Looking forward to the move and the extra sunshine!!

Cheers,
Michael

They say all good things come at once!

lots of advantages here like i.e you get to buy theme park tickets at local prices ;) Get a Dreamworld annual pass, only $99 on offer and kids under 4 are free.

When we moved house earlier this year, Josh took a few weeks to get used to it. He did ask for his old bedroom and for the first couple of nights, he woke up crying. Now he loves it and he even knows his address.

Does he like Thomas? The Ipswich rail museum has a Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends exhibition over the summer school holidays. It's only $30 for an annual pass.It's about 20 mins from Kenmore.

It only floods in the crappy areas - like Kenmore.... right tracey? (I had to stir her up - suppose I now need to ensure the guard dogs are on duty so she doesnt come and kill me).
You're so funny, I almost laughed. :p This flood is looking more like a boon every day - full reno paid for by insurance company, nice cheque for a bunch of contents, most of which we won't replace. I'd be moving to the most flood-prone area possible, and taking out good insurance. ;)

I thought I posted one of my usual lengthy replies the other day, but it's not here... bummer!

You'll find the commute's not fabulous, because from Fig Tree Pocket area to Eagle Farm goes through pretty much all the worst bottlenecks. Having said that, the good thing is that Brisbanites tend to have peak hours that are short and that you can work around. In particular, people seem to knock off pretty early - part of that laidback attitude I love so much. Traffic is bad 7-8:30am, and 4-6pm. Hubby has some flexibility in hours, so usually works 9:30-6:30, and finds the traffic's pretty OK at those times. Having said all that, I don't think even Brisbane's peak hour - much as people complain about it - is anywhere near as bad as driving in Sydney traffic. I don't think you'll find it's too bad, and will be more than compensated for by the sunshine, lack of ties, and the scintillating company of your Brisbane SS friends. :D

Fig Tree Pocket, Indooroopilly, Kenmore, Chapel Hill etc, are all lovely suburbs with great amenities; there are no "rough" areas within those suburbs, you can't go wrong, really.

If you get here during summer, just don't forget to wind back your clock one hour and 54 years. ;)

Michael, glad to hear the offers are rolling in. My partner lived in Singapore for some time and found the lack of green repressive. Though 15% tax shouldn't be sneezed at....and if you put a time limit of say 2 years on it, that might help make it more bearable. Sounds like if you want to ascend the mining industry tree, you will have to stay mobile.

Personally, I don't think you will ever regret time away from Sydney.
I am a Brisbane boy but lived in Sydney for most of my 20s (Vaucluse and Cremorne Pt). I loved the energy and the harbour, but the place is very 'Sydney' centric and close minded in a way Brisbane isn't. I think up here we accept we are not the centre of the universe, so are more open to new experience.

On where to live, have provided a map coloring the more desireable areas and offer the following.:

- firstly, people from Qld can't spell and are arrogant...(well you deserved that one) ;)

- Of the shaded areas on the map, the Ascot, Clayfield, Hamilton area offers the best geographic advantage to your work. The good areas in Brisbane over the last 50 years have been this area and the western suburbs. The Ascot area is older and has many of Brisbane's finer colonial homes still on large lots. It was home to the mercantile class who owned warehouses along the Brisbane River. In the west, Chelmer (especially Laurel Avenue) is blue chip, with similar architecture. If I was to settle in the Western burbs, my preference would be the streets around Laurel Avenue, Chelmer, as they are on the train line, near the river, close to Indro Shopping Centre, and avoid much of the Moggill Rd congestion.

- the academic record of schools helps to orient. see the list herewith. OPs are academic scores, 1 being the highest. the more 1-10s the stronger a school's academic focus and performance. though like anywhere, pursuit of OPs alone can lead to unbalanced perspective.

- the commute from Kenmore/FTP to Eagle Junction is 20 km, and will take 40-60 mins in peak hour. Moggill Rd and Coronation Drive (or Milton Rd) will catch you in city bound congestion, and once you get off the inner city bypass tunnel rd near Breakfast Creek, you will get caught on Kingsford Smith Dr in traffic heading out to the Gateway, airport, commecial areas. Leaving home at by 630am will cut travel time by 30-40%. Heading home, leaving after 6pm will save similar. 7-8.45am and 2.30pm-6pm are not pretty on your route.

- you want to keep in mind if you have to do a lot of flying, FTP won't offer an advantage.

- the western suburbs do not offer as convenient access to the Gateway Arterial, ergo the Sunshine and Gold Coasts as do other shaded areas on the map.

Summing Up:

- Western Suburbs
Pros
middle to upper middle in the burbs and acreages further out at Pullenvale and Brookfield.
close to University of Qld
several of the best private schools (Nudgee junior, BBC, St Aidans, Stuartholme, St Peters...)

Cons
no train line out towards Kenmore though Chelmer, Sherwood, Corinda has it.
Moggill Rd peak hour
Hilly
The further from the coast, the hotter the climate.
Lack of ethnic diversity :)
airport commute is unpredictable
poor range of restaurants in the mid ring

Ascot area:
pros
flatter than the western burbs
good schools (see list)
close to airport
close to work
train line
better range of restaurants, including Portside.
easy access to Gateway nad coasts.
arguably easier access to Brisbane's top two academic schools in city north, plus their playing fields are nearby.

Cons
elitism and arrogance a tad higher than Kenmore.
kingsford smith drive and sandgate rd congestion
smaller area.
not close to Uni of Qld.
denser residential area than many parts of the west.

Ultimately, it will be a matter of personality and personal feel for an area.

FTP.gif

Winston,

That's awesome mate, thanks so much! I tried to kudo you but its telling me I need to spread it around, but I can't remember kudo'ing you recently... ?

Ah well, I'll come back in a few kudo's time and rectify it. ;)

Thanks heaps mate, and to everyone else for your insightful assistance!!

Cheers,
Michael

Don't worry Michael, I kudos'd him for both of us!

I was in Brissy last week for work (Eagle Farm as well), and stayed around the Breakfast Creek area - great pub/restaurants in that place!!

I definitely concur with WW from my limited trips there - the Ascot area is really great, Racecourse road is brilliant for eats/drinks. And the drive along Kingsford Smith Drv was not too bad, compared to the equivalent in Perth or Sydney anyway...

Good luck with it all - very exciting

Chris

I used to live in Greenslopes and work at Pinkenba 12 yrs ago and it was a hurrendous drive back then. (WOULD BE TWICE AS BAD NOW) Theres traffic lights everywhere. Ascot area would definately be my pick. It's a lovely, leafy, relaxed area with plenty of places to eat.

Don't worry Michael, I kudos'd him for both of us!

And well-deserved, too.

Michael, if you decide on the Ascot/Hamilton area, have a look at Hendra whilst your out shopping. A bit 'industrial' in part, but just a couple of blocks west of this light industry are some quiet streets, lovely old homes, and close to Racecourse Rd. cafe precinct. Had some great brekkies there a few years ago.
Whilst in the area, there's an estate called 'Millbrook' possibly worth looking at.

http://www.seqrents.com.au/millbrook/index.htm

All the best,

Amy

thx for the appreciation all.

btw, on the school OP rankings pic, the yellow schools are public schools. there's several in the top 35.

I colored the ascot area blue, which unfortunately is the same color as the airport....blue also happens to be the color of the entrenched politics of the electorate. I was at a function in an Ascot house on the Fed election night, and a hammered ex Wallaby guest, every time he saw Guillard on the 501 inch plasma, had the most colorful language I've heard in years. Nevertheless, there were a few wearing red that night, and all had a good time.

I might add that although Ascot is traditionally WASP, that's changed dramatically in the last 40 years. The eateries of Racecourse Road are well patronized by successful entrepreneurs of Italian, Greek, Asian Jewish, and Indian roots.

And I'd agree you should have a look at the West side of Hendra. Lots of development is going to happen there in the next 10 years.

Michael, I agree with the others, Westside is great (I live in Toowong) but for your work Ascot etc. would be much better (I would hate to have to commute all the way through the city). Chelmer, Corinda etc. are lovely but you have a really bad bottleneck being the Indooroopilly bridge. Friends of ours actually moved house because it was such a pain to get the kids to school just on the other side of the river.

Depending on where you work in Eagle Farm and how adventurous you feel you might consider Bulimba / Hawthorne or Balmoral (very nice areas too) and take the bike across the river with the citycat from Apollo Road to Brett's Wharf and try to cycle the back way to your work (you don't want to have to cycle on main roads in Brisbane...). Just a thought. I cycle to work all through the year with no problems, got to start a bit earlier in the middle of summer but otherwise it's great.

There also might be a bus connection from Brett's wharf to your work. Taking the city cat to work (or part of the way to work) is fantastic and the schedule is very good. Definitely beats sitting in the car!

All these choices... have fun!!

kaf

Michael

Take no notice of WW and all those who live on the north side of the ditch (sniff)! :p Really, what would they know .... ;)

None of them - not one single one of them - has mentioned Yachtie Heaven!!! A house on the hill at Manly overlooking the boat harbour and RQYS!!!

Manly has the train, beautiful bay breezes (at least 5 degrees cooler in summer - and warmer in winter - than in the western suburbs), has some great restaurants (tho' not as many as in Ascot) and some good schools close by. Easier commute to the airport, close to the Gateway Arterial. And much less aircraft noise that you'd get at Ascot and Hamilton!

And it's close to where Boat Boy is building his catamaran! :)

BTW, where are you Dave? Thought you would have had a bit to say on this!

Cheers
Lynn

WOW I only just read this congratulations to you on all fronts - awesome stuff and well deserved, I am sooooo jealous. It doesn't look as though you will be lonely or need to worry about not knowing anyone up there by the look of these posts!

Michael

Take no notice of WW and all those who live on the north side of the ditch (sniff)! :p Really, what would they know .... ;)

None of them - not one single one of them - has mentioned Yachtie Heaven!!! A house on the hill at Manly overlooking the boat harbour and RQYS!!! Cheers
Lynn

Hey Lynn. Yeah Michael, Manly is a good spot..... :)

as long as you get a good neighbour. I used to know a hypomanic from Manly (a friend of Ranger Stacey who lived nearby), beautiful Bay Tce house, bayviews, but her Qld'er house was about 8 feet away from her neighbours, and she used to play her music loud.....her retired school principal neighbour just had to cop it, poor bugger.

Anyway, fortunately for him, she got divorced, sold, and had to trade down to a rental on rat run Chestnut St, with no view. ya never outrun ya karma.... :)

The other thing Manly has that Ascot doesn't is lots of naughty boys who like to drive around late at night in hot cars, and hordes of teens who like to hammer the grog on the foreshore before creating mayhem on the way home at 3am.

Sorry Lynn, I call it like I experienced it :p

WW is correct - a drive from FTP to Eagle Farm in peak hour is annoying as hell. And back. One thing is if you're heading to moggill/kenmore that road leads dead west and the afternoon sun is blinding as you drive. And Kenmore Floods badly if I didnt mention that before... :)

IMO - I'd have a look at the schools and then decide and also question would be what time do you have to start work - is it flexible?

Once Campbell gets his tunnels finalised that should also free up a bit of traffic so have a look at that too.

Hi, Michael,
Seems like you have a real preference for sending the little fella to Montessori at FTP.
As I don't know the schools in the Hamilton/Hendra/Ascot areas, could there be a similar school here that meets your needs? If so, your transport problems could be solved.
Just a thought.
Amy

The other thing Manly has that Ascot doesn't is lots of naughty boys who like to drive around late at night in hot cars, and hordes of teens who like to hammer the grog on the foreshore before creating mayhem on the way home at 3am.

Sorry Lynn, I call it like I experienced it :p

Experience from which side WW? Hooning back to the Westside at 3am? :D;)

kaf

Kaf, nah I've never been a hoon...I aspired to a VW kombi or lwb landcruiser to go on surfing safaris.......but a good mate is responsible for working a lot of the engines of FJ to HQ sedans and panel vans, and Torana Xu1s, that plagued Redcliffe streets in the 70s.

I am not aware of an alt school in the Ascot area.

THough I sometimes wonder if parents are outsourcing a tad too much in their expectations of what school should do....I had a good Uni of Qld professor friend who's eldest daughter 'wouldn't' fit in at 3 schools, before Dad sent her off to BIS. I knew her when she was 18 to 25. She was a difficult person living off the rails more than on.....(though we won't blame BIS for that).

Through pure simple warmth and a stable moral friend of her Dad, and accepting her as a personal friend and cultivating her self image, I got her out of a life of drugs in West End into UQ doing a double major in maths and commerce. I was living up the coast at the time and she used to love coming up there to study and chill out, sometimes on her own, and sometimes with a friend or two.

Her GPA was outstanding and she was in line for a University medal. Unfortunately, she relented to her weaknesses once too often, and broke the trust I had in her....

She fell from the UQ course and I haven't seen her since, moreso because of her guilt in what she did than any lingering resentment on my part.

I tell this story because I don't think Montesorri is a one stop fix for everything. Ultimately, imho, the values and discipline of the family matter more than those of the school.

Having lived in 3 states, QLD has a fantastic lifestyle. Best place in Aust to raise kids.

In Brisbane the traffic is getting bad, REALLY bad at peak hour. All the freeway projects that Sydney started 20 years ago are starting in Brisbane now.

Why not consider the Gold Coast (fastest growing region in Aus) or sunshine coast, more laid back.

Back