Contemplating a move to Brisbane, some insight appreciated...

Hi Michael!

I lived in Brisbane for over 4 years; you'll love it. The more consistent weather and the really nice winters in Brisbane (22 degrees...lovely) were big draw cards.

I think you'll have to compromise between work, home and school in terms of location.

If you want to live close to Eagle Farm, you could rent in Hendra. The Villaworld estate is quite nice; rent a 4 bedroom house for ~ $500pw with yard and it's only 10 minutes to the airport, without being under the flight path. You then just need to work out how to get to school @ Fig Tree Pocket. :)

Fig Tree Pocket, Indooroopilly (Indro), Kenmore are great places to live in - just sucks getting to work, as you have to go through the city and the dreaded Milton Road. Bare in mind, there are two massive underground tunnels being dug under the city so travel can completely bypass town. Will be a little while before they are completed though. :)

And Kenmore Floods badly if I didnt mention that before... :)
Oh, you're just toooo hilarious - NOT! If I may put things in perspective...

1) FIVE houses in Kenmore flooded during the recent rains. (We're just lucky. :p) It was the first time they'd flooded since 1974 (when all of Brisbane flooded).

2) Hubby commutes from Kenmore to CBD, and about once a week to the airport. By timing his drive as per my previous suggestions, he usually does the CBD in under 25 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes. Airport is more variable, not helped by the fact that they often schedule meetings for 9am (or some time that forces driving in peak). In peak, it takes from 45 to 70 minutes; off-peak, 35 minutes.

Thus endeth my pitch for the W family to take up residence in Kenmore. ;)

Another biased vote for the East

Hi Michael,

Lot's of great replies already. Here is my biased opinion of a great spot for you to look at :)

We live at Wynnum North, and it takes us 8 minutes at non-peak time to get to the tolls on the gateway bridge, which means you could be door to door at Eagle farm in 20 minutes. I too, like Mr Ozperp have flexibility with office hours, so I can miss the peak at most times.

The benefits of living where we are with a young family, is for us linked to the bay. We are fortunate enough to get a view of the bay from our home, but a sort stroll or bike ride down the hill and we are strolling along the foreshore. After a heavy day or week, walking along the foreshore helps clear the mind.

The fact that RQYS is up the road at Manly should also allow you to pop down the road and get your salt spray fix. You should be settled enough to on board with a crew for the Brisbane to Gladstone at Easter :)

Look forward to catching up in the future.

Cheers,
Horizon

another thought
If you're on twitter you can follow bristraffic and they keep you up to date on the traffic accidents etc throughout the day. I think they start around 4am and dont know what time they stop but I've seen them go into the 9pms

None of them - not one single one of them - has mentioned Yachtie Heaven!!! A house on the hill at Manly overlooking the boat harbour and RQYS!!!

We live at Wynnum North, and it takes us 8 minutes at non-peak time to get to the tolls on the gateway bridge, which means you could be door to door at Eagle farm in 20 minutes.

The fact that RQYS is up the road at Manly should also allow you to pop down the road and get your salt spray fix. You should be settled enough to on board with a crew for the Brisbane to Gladstone at Easter :)
Guys,

I've been thinking this way too! I'm now pretty sure I want to stay East (or North) of the city to avoid the long commute. Kay has even agreed that Montessori is not the be all and end all of school options.

I've had a quick scan around Hamilton, Ascot, Hendra and I really like the look of that area. Its on my short list of suburbs to inspect when I get there. I'll also be looking around Manly too but I have a feel for what this is like already from the Mirvac developments I perused there last time I was shopping in Brisbane.

I'm definately going to join the RQYS and hopefully should be able to get a crew spot as a bowman on something around 40 foot. Maybe Dave (Boatboy) knows some contacts in the club. I'm sure my current skipper could hook me up too...

Exciting days!!!

Cheers,
Michael

I've had a quick scan around Hamilton, Ascot, Hendra and I really like the look of that area. Its on my short list of suburbs to inspect when I get there. in Brisbane.
Michael I don't think you would find a better area then around Hamilton, Ascot, Hendra all upmarket properties in those streets,and once you understand the backstreets of that area going to work would not be a problem,close to the Airport, and as far as the private schools go there are several within 5 klm's of Hamilton if you work out your travel times the gridlock is not a worry,..good luck willair..

Horizon, I live in Kuraby and it only takes <15 mins to get to the tolls but then it takes me 5 mins to get on the gateway. I would have thought you would be much quicker to the tolls.

It takes around 20 mins to get to the airport. I know coz I forgot my passport once and my mil bombed it from Runcorn to airport in 20 mins and we just made it!

You should also consider MT gravatt, inner southside, Eight Mile Plains, Kuraby area....lots of nice family homes around here. It's close to everywhere with good access to public transport i.e eight mile plains bus exchange (<10 mins to city on the busway with buses every 2mins). Lots of good shops, even Ikea is on this side of town and I think has the best eats in Brisbane.

It's easy short cut access to west side and east side.

Nthside is quite far but not if there's no traffic on the gateway but then there isn't much up North anyway. My mu lives in Noosa and i can get there in about 1.5hrs from here. From west side, it's a nightmare...took me about 2.5hrs.

Congratulations Michael :)
The three places I would look at up there would be either Hendra (if you can find an older house on a large block and do a splitter) , or Manly area (same again) , or Wakerley (yes Mirvac as you know quite well).
We sold our IP at Wakerley recently , as there is a heap of land being sold at the moment - in 2 years or so once the land evaporates then this area will be a great area to be. Currently you can make offers on some real nice houses and get silly prices - for example this one (which I know very well) has been for sale for around 10 or 12 months now - and now are on their 4th agents...it originally was up for $749,000 so the selling price is now $100,000 down !!! So who knows offer very low 600's and you have a lovely house.....
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=73485755&s=qld&tm=1244281057

To me the bayside area is a better choice as its much cooler in summer (around 12c on some days) - and commuting you never see the sun in your eyes like you would if you lived in the west !!
Anyway , enjoy your move and good luck :)
David

Huge congrats on the move Michael. Brisbane is funny in the way once people live North, South, East or West they never seem to move far !

We are westies, and moving to new PPOR in Kenmore Hills (in the hills away from the floods ;-) ) Just joking ... there are tons of places in Brisbane far more floodable than Kenmore ! People are buying and ignoring the 1 in 100 (and 1974) flood levels because the marketing spiel is that dam mitigation works will mean no repeat. As Catherine Tate would say, "what a load of ...." !!

The commute to the city is disastrous from all sides of town. I lived in Sydney in 85-88 and the traffic here is at least twice as bad as Syd back then. I used to ride an old trail bike round Syd and thought nothing of it - I would never take my life into my hands doing the same thing in Brisbane!

Personally, having done the run from a few sides of town, west isn't vastly different from anywhere else (except for the debauchery of Moggill road west of Kenmore and the lack of bypass).

The bikeways are fantastic in comparison to the roads. My wife gets onto the bikeway at Indooroopilly and is in the CBD in 20 mins after an easy ride. I work from home but even fat ol' me would contemplate riding the pushy to work rather than try to handle public transport or the drive to town.

But if you are into the marine life, you are way too far removed from the bay over this side. Personally I think Manly is great value - I've never lived there but the lifestyle and vibe is great ... and offers a similar water lifestyle to Sydney if you can get over the lack of harbour :). Cleveland is fantastic but too far if you are working long hours in city. A mate has a place with a jetty on Raby Bay and his weekends are awesome, but his commute is a nightmare.

Hamilton and Ascot aren't a bad compromise (Gateway across to bayside reasonably quick) but you pay for the privilege, but it holds it's value. Hendra is becoming more popular and there are some equally nice streets. But in Sydney terms Ascot might be Glebe and Hendra is Newtown, or something (probably all those comparisons have changed since my Syd days, but you get what I mean).

We're in a similar situation to you looking for good schools ... there are heaps to choose from. You won't go wrong in that Ascot region (again you'll pay for the privilege!) ... we're looking at girls schools over this way which has been interesting ... there is a lot of pressure on the public schools out this way with over-population. We'll probably end up going private or catholic, deciding in the next few weeks.

Have an excellent move and enjoy the house-hunting !

Cheers
Carl

Last edited:
Have an excellent move and enjoy the house-hunting !
Thanks Carl!

Well I spoke to the relocation lady at work and she's trying to sort me out a serviced apartment somewhere around Indoroopilly that will take two adults, a small child and two dogs... ;)

We're currently planning on moving at the end of July to be on the ground and working up there from August onwards. Its all very exciting and I'm now getting caught up in the prospect of a relocation.

Thanks again to everyone for their awesome insights and assistance. When we find our feet I'll throw a Somersoft Brisbane BBQ at the new rental for everyone who wants to come and put a face to the name.

Cheers,
Michael

My experience is that we shifted up to Surfers in april last year for a year, within 6 weeks we looked at each other and said, thats it we're staying. 4 mths later we bought and shifted into our fabulous townhouse 2 blocks from the beach (couldnt have afforded this position in Melb. To date: weather fantastic, lots of free things to do, i.e. yoga, taichai, cheap self improvement courses, big art scene, lots of boating fishing, and -we are not big social people (ie don't work at it) but am starting to acquire a few well chosen friends. So, end result, well settled within a year. Indoorapilly, Graceville, St Lucia beautiful suburbs (used to have an aunt lived there) my 2c worth, when we looked at Brisbane, I would have chosen Bulimba

My experience is that we shifted up to Surfers in april last year for a year, within 6 weeks we looked at each other and said, thats it we're staying. 4 mths later we bought and shifted into our fabulous townhouse 2 blocks from the beach (couldnt have afforded this position in Melb. To date: weather fantastic, lots of free things to do, i.e. yoga, taichai, cheap self improvement courses, big art scene, lots of boating fishing, and -we are not big social people (ie don't work at it) but am starting to acquire a few well chosen friends. So, end result, well settled within a year. Indoorapilly, Graceville, St Lucia beautiful suburbs (used to have an aunt lived there) my 2c worth, when we looked at Brisbane, I would have chosen Bulimba
Now THAT's what I wanted to hear. More and more I'm seeing the positive lifestyle implications of this move. I'm a Sydney boy born and bred, but even I admit to the shallow nature of interpersonal relationships in Sydney. We're all far too busy, stressed, frustrated or depressed to take time out to smell the roses or invite the neighbours over for a bottle of white and a chat on a Sunday afternoon.

I really, really hope that the lifestyle in Brisbane will be less stressful and that we can enjoy each others company and the company of friends a lot more. I'm ready for a little mid life slow down for a while and a good social network...

Getting excited now, 4 weeks and counting...

Cheers,
Michael

Michael, did this revelation only dawn on you after your work relocation to Brisbane was rubber stamped? Its not like your move was for life style reasons.

I know Brisbane/GC pretty well and i'll take Sydney any day.

More and more I'm seeing the positive lifestyle implications of this move. I'm a Sydney boy born and bred, but even I admit to the shallow nature of interpersonal relationships in Sydney. We're all far too busy, stressed, frustrated or depressed to take time out to smell the roses or invite the neighbours over for a bottle of white and a chat on a Sunday afternoon.

I really, really hope that the lifestyle in Brisbane will be less stressful and that we can enjoy each others company and the company of friends a lot more. I'm ready for a little mid life slow down for a while and a good social network...

Getting excited now, 4 weeks and counting...

Cheers,
Michael

Not likely Tracy. ;)

Thank goodness there are people like you out there, Evan, otherwise it'd be way too crowded up here, and Sydney would be deserted. ;)

I just like the big city life and Michael's experience might be his only. Certainly not indicative of everyone in Sydney.

Back