Contemplating a move to Brisbane, some insight appreciated...

Well done Michael.

That house of yours in Narrabeen, it's magnificent.
I must make sure I don't let the wife see those pics. :D

I'd hold onto it too. It's a gold mine.

See ya's.
Thanks TC! :D

Yes, we absolutely love the place. Its on 1600m2 overlooking Narrabeen Lagoon and 800m from the beach. Its a stroll to the L90 bus to the city and all the shops at Narrabeen. Did I mention that I laid every one of those floorboards myself and built the internal staircases. My wife painted every inch of the internal and external walls twice. And we personally carried every stick of timber, cladding, roofing, gyprock, yellow tongue, floorboards etc etc up to the battleaxe block ourselves on the inclinator. Now THAT was a big job, but I like the results. ;)

Yeah great home Michael. Love it. Is it on 2 titles? 30 & 30A? Or does the inclinator travel down an easement through 30?

Rockstar, we only have title over 30A and access is down an easement through 30 where the inclinator runs. Still 1600m2 up the back on our lot alone though. Runs all the way up the hill to the ridgeline at the top some 50m up the side. Big trees all over the block and sandstone outcroppings. Big kids would love it.

And unfortunately it won't be like that when he gets back
The tenants will ruin it
I'll never rent out our PPOR again.
I'd rather sell it
:( Don't rain on my parade... But this is something we were a little concerned about. But we're very capable people and could readily bring it back if too much damage was done. By the sounds of it though, the new tennants are a couple of professionals so shouldn't do too much damage. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Michael

And unfortunately it won't be like that when he gets back
The tenants will ruin it
I'll never rent out our PPOR again.
I'd rather sell it

Bill, the way MW's good karma is flowing, it will be in better nick than how he left it or they will purchase it from him for above market price! :)

You'll be back......they all come back :)

Wanna bet, Propertunity? We left there in nearly 15 years ago, and have only ever been back for one visit ... never again! :D

Welcome to sunny Queensland, Michael!!! You'll be a true Queenslander in no time if you remember two things: (i) drive like a maniac, and (ii) end every sentence with "eh?" (with rising inflection). :p

(I'm allowed to say that - I'm a dinkum banana bender - born and bred). ;)

But seriously, Michael, hope you and your family have a wonderful time in this wonderful state!

Cheers
Lynn

Last edited:
Wanna bet, Propertunity? We left there in nearly 15 years ago, and have only ever been back for one visit ... never again! :D

That's not hard to believe.

Why is it, people all pull up at Coolangatta or Goondiwindy, and put on a maroon jumper, and declare allegence to Wally as they cross the border and become Queenslanders. But going the other way, a Queenslander comes down here to live, and they stay a Queenslander till the death, even if they've been south for 40 years..??

Tell me that..?? Why..?? [something else other than the weather please.]..

See ya's.

Welcome to Brisbane Michael.
We packed up and moved here 10 years ago. The first year was hard we missed friends and family quite a bit ....but over all it was a good move we are now very happy here.
Come have a drink with us when you are settle down.
PS. Love your house !

We've been up here 11 years, and whilst I still don't feel like a native, my kids were born here, so perhaps they will. :p And there are worse sensations than feeling like you're perpetually on holiday, eh? :D

I still remember when I first arrived up here, I met a guy named Jason Lewis - "but everybody calls me Wally". I asked why, and got the response - with a snicker - "after Wally Lewis". My next question, in all sincerity, was "who's Wally Lewis?"

I know now. :D

And no, TC, it's not the weather (though that's part of it). I think it's the laid-back, she'll-be-right-mate attitude, working to live rather than living to work... Southbank picnics on a weeknight... strangers are just "friends you haven't met"... time to let people into queues (what's the hurry?)... the ease of taking a weekend away (Sunshine or Gold Coast?)... and a shared gratitude for being so blessed to live in such a happy, vibrant, laidback place.

(I just know that somebody's going to say that this isn't their experience of QLD. That's OK; this is my experience, and I love it. :))

That's not hard to believe.

Why is it, people all pull up at Coolangatta or Goondiwindy, and put on a maroon jumper, and declare allegence to Wally as they cross the border and become Queenslanders. But going the other way, a Queenslander comes down here to live, and they stay a Queenslander till the death, even if they've been south for 40 years..??

Tell me that..?? Why..?? [something else other than the weather please.]..

See ya's.

Why?? In my case, TC, I was born a Queenslander, so there's no chance of me ever being anything else - it's in the blood! ;)

Hubby, on the other hand, is a true Mexican (Victorian) - and it took a loooong time to convert him into a Queenslander -about 12 years or so!! And he still has the occasional relapse! :rolleyes:

Tracey is right: it's the laid-back attitude, the 'don't take yourself too seriously' approach, and the sheer 'liveability' of the place. And, on a whim, I can say to hubby, "Let's go to Harry's for lunch" (on the mountain at Buderim, on the Sunshine Coast), knowing that we can be there in just over an hour (from southside Brisbane) - from where we lived in Sydney (North Rocks) you could drive for an hour in any direction and still be stuck in traffic!

Queensland ... beautiful one day, perfect the next! :D

Cheers
Lynn

Hubby, on the other hand, is a true Mexican (Victorian) - and it took a loooong time to convert him into a Queenslander -about 12 years or so!! And he still has the occasional relapse! :rolleyes:

Tell me he doesn't relapse by wearing socks and sandals :eek: (like many Victorians :p).

Where abouts in Nth Rocks were you Lynn??

I used to live just off Felton Rd.

Have to back everything you said - I still support the Blues at Origin time - but everything else about this town ROCKS!! It still has that country town feel...I lived nr Kempsey for several years too and find Brisbane has a similar feel - apart from the awesome surf beaches!!

Lynne, North Rocks is not the only place in Sydney. And being stuck in traffic for an hour is a huge over generalisation. What time of the day, the week, where were you going? Could you elaborate?

I thought Felton Rd is Carlingford. I had a girlfriend there along time ago.

I know Brisbane pretty well (have friends, relos & IP's there) and i know where i'd rather live.

As i said to a guy from the country who was bagging Sydney at a conference once. There is a lot more to life then how long it takes you to get somewhere. He had a serious chip on his shoulder, like most QLD'ers when it comes to Sydney and in general.

Its the only city in Australia that feels to me like a proper CITY is Sydney. The rest just feel like large country towns. (excluding Melbourne of course, just ;))

Its the old saying: "If you're not living in Sydney, you're only camping out"

I know Brisbane pretty well (have friends, relos & IP's there) and i know where i'd rather live.

What can I say but...... Pffffft!!! :p:D

Just joking really. I wouldn't like to live in Sydney, but don't mind a visit. Give me Brisbane any day.

I think you will find most people will talk up their own patch of dirt and talk down any other one. It is just the way it is.

Goodness, even here in Brisbane there is the great divide over which side of the river is best, and of course, we all know that the southside wins hands down on all counts :p. (Just ducking for cover now.)

I had around 8 years in Sydney.....for the greater part, I enjoyed it immensely. But I was in my 20s and was never more than 1km from water.

I don't think I'd enjoy being there over 40. I found it just isn't as easy to unwind after work and on weekends. There's a vibe of constant activity and people moving hither and thither.

I got over being dumped on for being a slow Qld'er within 3 days. It seems many Sydney-ites judge intelligence by fast driving, fast talking, fast blink rate, strength of your coffee, whether you are driving this year's model, who you know, how late you stay up. What I came to realize was this line of thinking was a compensation mechanism. After all, Sydney headhunted me, the slow Qld'er, due to a lack of home grown talent.

Thats not quite true. You rarely if ever hear Sydneysiders putting QLD down or even mentioning the place. Its just not in their mind. But in QLD its like an obsession to bag Sydney.

As Roy Masters wrote once in the SMH. QLDers dont have a chip on their shoulder, they have a Moretan Bay Fig.

I reckon Billy Moore running down the tunnel to enter a state of Origin match yelling out 'QUEENSLANDER!!' over and over at the top of his voice would be downright embarrassing if i was a QLDer. That, to me, epitomises the QLD attitude.

Yes Billy, we know where you're from mate.

I guess Sydney is to Australia what NYC is to America. Brash, busy, fast, exciting, international, multicultural, lots of money...etc..etc....i just love the place.

I think you will find most people will talk up their own patch of dirt and talk down any other one. It is just the way it is.

I reckon Billy Moore running down the tunnel to enter a state of Origin match yelling out 'QUEENSLANDER!!' over and over at the top of his voice would be downright embarrassing if i was a QLDer.
If I knew who Billy Moore was, I'd probably be embarrassed.

Excessive parochialism of any sort is embarrassing.

Back