Contemplating a move to Brisbane, some insight appreciated...

Thats not quite true. You rarely if ever hear Sydneysiders putting QLD down or even mentioning the place. Its just not in their mind. But in QLD its like an obsession to bag Sydney.

I actually find the complete opposite of this. Sydneysiders are seemingly always running down Brisbane.

Not sure how much time you spend in Sydney to hear this. But you probably mean from the relatively few Sydneysiders up there.

Regardless, i hear they have a good banjo program in the primary school curriculum north of the Tweed. :D

I actually find the complete opposite of this. Sydneysiders are seemingly always running down Brisbane.

Not sure how much time you spend in Sydney to hear this. But you probably mean from the relatively few Sydneysiders up there.

Regardless, i hear they have a good banjo program in the primary school curriculum north of the Tweed. :D

I hear a LOT of it here on this forum :D. And on the telly, and from the THOUSANDS who escape Sydney each year. Perhaps they are all coming up for the banjo lessons :p.

And from my brother who spent the last 30 or so years in Sydney, but who has also now escaped.

Mind you, my brother does have a huge chip on his shoulder about pretty much everything, including Brisbane, and now Sydney, so perhaps he will never be happy anywhere.

I guess Sydney is to Australia what NYC is to America. Brash, busy, fast, exciting, international, multicultural, lots of money...etc..etc....i just love the place.

If that's why you love it, then fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.. one thing I love about Brisbane is, I can knock off work in the cbd, head over to kangaroo point and rock climb on the cliffs which are lit up all night.. amazing backdrop over the city, with bbq facilities, and its all free :D

Lots of money in Sydney? not sure if that makes up for the prop prices? I'm currently helping a mate reno a 3bed, on 700sq.m, 5km's from cbd, quiet street, purchase price $415k.
pro rata his pay up 10% for sydney and he may buy for 500k at a stretch.. does 500k get you 700sq.m, 5km's from the cbd? :rolleyes:

and this may be a bit subjective, but I think homes in QLD have a lot more character..
Brisbane_QLD_House.jpg

I think it's the laid-back, she'll-be-right-mate attitude

Ozperp

Funny you said that, we've used 2 contractors who drove down from Brissy
to lay a floor for us and they came without the required safety paperwork or personal protection equipment.

I had to send them to Bunnings to buy masks etc and because they didn't seem professional enough from the beginning I had to baby sit them.

So the lay back attitute is good but not when it comes to work and safety.
Next time I get quotes from people up North I'll consider the lay back factor ...;)

cheers

Tell me he doesn't relapse by wearing socks and sandals :eek: (like many Victorians :p).

OMG, Wylie!!! Heavens, NO! That would be immediate divorce material! :eek:

Where abouts in Nth Rocks were you Lynn??

I used to live just off Felton Rd.

Way over the other side, UC. We lived at Larra Crescent (off Mill Drive, which is off Barclay Road) - beautiful spot! A lovely tri-level house with north facing windows at the front which looked out over the Darling Mills State Forest with all its birds and wildlife ..... including the biggest funnel-web spiders you have ever seen! :eek:

Lynne, North Rocks is not the only place in Sydney. And being stuck in traffic for an hour is a huge over generalisation.

That it is, evan! ;) Oh where is a 'tongue-in-cheek' icon when a girl needs one??? * Sigh *

To be honest, I tried to drive as little as possible outside the local area - most of my 'adventures' occurred whilst driving hubby to work (at Sydney Airport) and it didn't seem to matter what day or what hour of the day it was, the traffic was horrendous!

Cheers
Lynn

Goodness, even here in Brisbane there is the great divide over which side of the river is best, and of course, we all know that the southside wins hands down on all counts :p. (Just ducking for cover now.)

It must be AGES since we've had a good ol' barney on SS re the north-of-the-ditch vs southsiders thing! :D

So far, UC, it's 2 of us southsiders to one of you! :p

Is that the sound of Kevin Hockey riding in on his faithful steed to join the argument??? ;)

Cheers
Lynn

It must be AGES since we've had a good ol' barney on SS re the north-of-the-ditch vs southsiders thing! :D

So far, UC, it's 2 of us southsiders to one of you! :p

Is that the sound of Kevin Hockey riding in on his faithful steed to join the argument??? ;)

Cheers
Lynn
Sorry Lynn, I'm going to have to put my hand up as a North-sider. ;) Already locked that critical decision down, now its just down to the suburb. I was a North-sider in Sydney and will be a North-sider in Brisbane too. I like my green open spaces and cafe set lifestyle.

The South just seemed soooooooo......... poor. * hides * :D <-- Joking!

Cheers,
Michael

That's OK, Michael - all is forgiven! ;) You don't know any better ..... yet!!! :p :D

* Add tongue-in-cheek icon here *

Cheers
Lynn

so poor? u have got to be kidding right? I know so many mega rich ppl on sth side. Mostly chinese though. They can afford multi million properties with cash but would still rather stay on sth side or actually around robertson area. But the really rich live a humble lifetsyle anyway.

what cafe culture on nth side? u mean hamilton coz there's mostly just junk food on nth side. almost every restaurant we've been to is frankly yuck...except the expensive ones like morgan's but that's way further up nth.

all the best food is on the sthside...even better than the city area.

even bayside is better than nthside ( I love Wynnum, great for lil kids). i only go up nth when i'm forced to or on my way to visit my mum in noosa.

my friends on nthside never invite us over but always invite themselves over to ours coz they are always down this way since there's just more things to do and places to eat. Same with friends on west and east side actually.

You southsiders are now officially outnumbered! I am originally from The Gap but now really north in Caboolture. :D

BTW Micheal there is a Montessori school here!

what cafe culture on nth side? u mean hamilton coz there's mostly just junk food on nth side. almost every restaurant we've been to is frankly yuck...except the expensive ones like morgan's but that's way further up nth.

What about Rosalie, Wilston, New Farm, Paddo, Fortitude Valley for cafe cultures

And i'm not sure you could call Michaels, Il Centro, Mario's at the dining Room, Gambaros, Brett's Wharf, etc etc etc could be all called yuck!! and they are all on the nthside

What about Rosalie, Wilston, New Farm, Paddo, Fortitude Valley for cafe cultures

And i'm not sure you could call Michaels, Il Centro, Mario's at the dining Room, Gambaros, Brett's Wharf, etc etc etc could be all called yuck!! and they are all on the nthside

YEAH!!!!!
take that you .....southsiders!:p
go get 'em UC

i consider that more city area. i think like mid northside area there isn't any nice places to eat...and areas around airport and further.

i love all the restaurants you mentioned and ofcourse Breakfast Creek Hotel.

new farm is nthside? i consider that city area.

I always thought nth side was say kelvin grove and beyond.

but actually chinatown isn't that good compared to sunnybank.

but those places are expensive and food isn't always good. we eat out a lot and have so many good restaurants within 10 mins away that we don't have to go into the city. Within the past mth, a new korean bbq opened up close by and closes very late...it's as authentic as they get, i think u can get Soju too. There's also a little Japanese place that only sells Bento boxes yum $9 for chicken karage bento box with sashimi.

though i just discovered a little korean place next to myer centre..you have to walk down the stairs and it's very easy to miss. their Kim Chi Chigae is excellent!

so say if you lived in chermside and beyond, there isn't much to choose from, would have to drive all the way to the valley. couldn't just pop out for 10 mins and be back with delish food and have so many good places to choose from.

Last edited:
I beg to differ Sue. If it's yum cha you are after The Oriental at Aspley beats the valley hands down. It is on a par with anything in Sunnybank! so we do have some redeeming features up here foodwise, but it is our quality of resident that really makes us special (toungue in cheek icon here):D

I beg to differ Sue. If it's yum cha you are after The Oriental at Aspley beats the valley hands down. It is on a par with anything in Sunnybank! so we do have some redeeming features up here foodwise, but it is our quality of resident that really makes us special (toungue in cheek icon here):D

Oh no no, I've been to the Oriental at Aspley, its nice but its not on par with Sunnybank. When the Oriental start getting people lining up outside, blocking off one whole side of the shopping mall complex, waiting 30 mins with a ticketing system just to get inside to eat the yummy food. Then maybe it'll be on par :p (btw its good to book and go early :D)

Besides, the north doesn't have soy cafe where you can get soy custard with pearls! mmmmmm

Back