Contemplating a move to Brisbane, some insight appreciated...

Many people break the trip at the big Matilda Roadhouse about 10k south of Gympie.

Winston, have you been there recently??

It used to be decent several years ago, but we were there about 3 weeks ago on our way to Bundaberg - and the food was (how does one put this delicately? :confused:) absolutely revolting!!! Am afraid there's no other way to describe it - sandwiches soggy, nearly all the cooked food fried and swimming in fat! And the coffee is unspeakably bad!!! YUK. :eek:

I wish I could suggest somewhere else, Michael, but don't know of a decent 'munchie-stop' about midway to Hervey Bay. Anyone else with any suggestions???

Cheers
Lynn

Winston, have you been there recently??

It used to be decent several years ago, but we were there about 3 weeks ago on our way to Bundaberg - and the food was (how does one put this delicately? :confused:) absolutely revolting!!! Am afraid there's no other way to describe it - sandwiches soggy, nearly all the cooked food fried and swimming in fat! And the coffee is unspeakably bad!!! YUK. :eek:

I wish I could suggest somewhere else, Michael, but don't know of a decent 'munchie-stop' about midway to Hervey Bay. Anyone else with any suggestions???

Cheers
Lynn

Hi Lynn, I never remember the volume outlet being that good.

I used to go to the independent coffee shop or to the fruit and vege shop. The lady who ran it was as sweet as pie, and had a juicer. Pineapple, banana, ginger, and mint smoothie with ice, a bag of nuts and sultanas and I was on my way.

Been about 3 years since I've been there. But used to do the trip every 6-8 weeks in 2000.

Winston, I was being a tad polite when I called it 'decent' - perhaps 'edible' would have been a better word?

The independant cafe appears to be associated with the volume outlet these days, and is certainly no better, IMHO. But thanks for the info on the F&V shop - will try that next time we're up that way. :)

Cheers
Lynn

If you can go a bit further than the matilda - there is a fairly new place near the Maryborough turnoff called Sexie Coffee - went there a few times whilst up at the maryboring (oops..:p) pub crawl this year.

the place is BRILLIANT!! cheap tucker - good coffee and clean and tidy!

wish there was one here locally...

the place is BRILLIANT!! cheap tucker - good coffee and clean and tidy!

Agree UC....I first saw it around 3 years ago. After living for a year in Mbo, I can tell you sexie coffee is a stand out for quality of food and service. It must have moved down the hwy a bit, or maybe there are two of them now. I hope they are successful in expanding because they really seem to have a good formula.

My bearings might be a bit out - i was up there for a pub crawl after all hehehehe...

it is on the same premises as that BP servo in the middle of nowhere - thought it was near the northern turnoff - maybe just on the northern side - a couple of clicks up the highway from the Mary river bridge??

dunno - don't get up there much!!:p

Sexie Coffee is just outside Maryborough. :)

Speaking of coffee, I got a giggle from a comedian on the radio the other day: "Going to Starbuck's for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough." :p

Michael
When you're looking for stuff to do (i havent trolled thru this post for a while) drive down to fig tree pocket and go to lone pine koala sanctuary. Makes for a great day out. Go for the annual family membership... pays for itself with 2 visits.

Cant go too wrong with Bardon, its a great suburb.

Back