Converting a car into LPG

Hiya

So i have recently installed solar panels and i am on a quest to go green PLUS the savings wouldn't hurt, right?:p

Next, I would like to hear from anyone who has converted their car to run on LPG.

How do you calculate whether it is worth it?

My car is a Toyota Camry Altise 2005. I pay about $80 of petrol very week.:mad:

p/s: The reason why i ask is i recently discovered my friend's bill is $50 PER MONTH:eek: on LPG!!

Hiya

So i have recently installed solar panels and i am on a quest to go green PLUS the savings wouldn't hurt, right?:p

Next, I would like to hear from anyone who has converted their car to run on LPG.

How do you calculate whether it is worth it?

My car is a Toyota Camry Altise 2005. I pay about $80 of petrol very week.:mad:

p/s: The reason why i ask is i recently discovered my friend's bill is $50 PER MONTH:eek: on LPG!!

About 3.5k at a rough estimate for the conversion. However, there is a 1k rebate available to some users. Info is here http://www.livinggreener.gov.au/rebates-assistance/aus/lpg-gas-conversion

The big issues are loss of boot space, increased consumption (you will use more LPG than you do petrol as LPG is less dense in energy terms) and decreased performance.

How many kms do you do a week? There is a caluclator on this website http://autogas.org.au/

Eh....how do i calculate this? All i know is i spent $80 on petrol per week; so on an average of 1.40 per litre...pray tell me how do i calculate this?:eek:

From jen-who-can't-change a lightbulb and now also can't calculate :eek:

So, $80/1.4 = 57 so that's 57 litres of fuel used per week.

Average combined fuel consumption of a V6 Camry is around 11.5/100km taking into account largely suburban use (75% suburban, 25% highway)

So 57/11.5*100 = 496km a week, or about 25000kms a year.

So, a cost saving of $1,259 a year. You would need to do that many kms for 2.5 years to make up the price of the conversion.

Lpg

Hiya

Just got a quote to convert $2600 (net of govt rebate)...

So i spend $2600 to "get back" about 1300 per year...surely that's a good return (Cash-on-cash back 50% ?:p)

Gas is still not the best. I had a $5k system put on my car when we were getting $3k back from the govt (state and Federal) and the system still performed averagly and i still got the gas smell. Used to run smoothly most of the time but was down on power a bit.

Stangely, i found it detracted from the sale price as people were just uncertain about such a major change to the car. Mine was a an XR8 falcon so different market to a Camry.

Unless you plan to keep the car for 5+ years i wouldnt bother.

Or sell your car and buy one which runs only on LPG. We have a Ford wagon and it's very economical, about 600-700km per tank which is about $60 to fill. A smaller car would be even more efficient.

If you do the conversion make sure you get a good warranty!

I had my Pajero converted.

It ran like crap afterward, drank gas at a heck of a rate, annoyed the bejeezus out of me with the limited range you can get out of a gas tank so I was forever stopping to refill and the engine ultimately died way before the conversion paid for itself, (i.e. within 18 months the car was effectively scrapped).

Not saying the engine would not have died anyway, but it ran nice before we converted and just never seemed the same afterward.

We have two Falcon company cars at work, both gas, both run and sound like a bag of hammers and are forever needing work. Boss says petrol or diesel for sure when they are due for replacement.

We converted to gas in 05/06 i think it was. When petrol hit the $1.50/$1.60 a litre and before Howard introduced the rebate. I think we had the gas put on for a month before it came in. We may have paid 3k to have it put on. I have never done the numbers to see how much we have saved by doing so. at the time I was driving 650km a week for work so it added up.
Filling up and it costing $36 instead of $78 is has a good pschological impact. I realise you don't get as many k's out of the tank but I think we are in front. Our second car we purchased with the gas already on.

I installed gas on my car back in 2007.

It cost me $3300 for the installation and I received $3000 ($2k Federal & $1k State) back in rebates. So my out of pocket installation cost to me was $300. At the time my petrol bill per week $70 and now my current gas bill is $30-$33 per week.

Or sell your car and buy one which runs only on LPG. We have a Ford wagon and it's very economical, about 600-700km per tank which is about $60 to fill. A smaller car would be even more efficient.

If you do the conversion make sure you get a good warranty!
We have had a few of these LPG only Fords come through our workshop.

I would not recommend them.

I converted my 2003 Toyota Hilux Workmate 18 months ago and love it. I wish I did my Forester 6 years ago but it too late there as we are about to change

Here is what i did:

I used L.P.G Conversion in Tullarmarine, Melbourne and got a state of the art King System. It cost $3500 and I got no rebate being business. Thanks ALP!

http://www.golpg.com.au

I had considered doing it for a while as the UTE used 14 litre per 100km. Loved it but not good for the commute to the airport and in the bush. So with only 50,000km on the ute and a long term hold, it made sense, but I had heard of issues with LPG and was sceptical of the claims.

Then I saw a ute just like mine with LPG number plate and left my details on it. They called. They had done it on buying and was over 200,000km no issues. They used LPG Conversions so I called them.

Spoke to Stewart Thompson (manager) and grilled him.

He was upfront on which car/s are worth it and which are not: re issues, practicality, etc.. Toyotas are especially good.

Some sedans can have a "donut tank" that is you replace the spare tyre with tank so no loss of space. Simply carry a foam get me home tyre kit for flats but with modern tyres, I find flats are rare.

My Hilux had the special LPG approved engine and the conversion was complete new large tank and exhaust all under the tray. So no load lost and bonus of dual fuel. Spare Tyre stayed.

The KING system is fully auto so no start up issues (lpg can start poorly in the cold weather) being start of petrol and move to gas when warm, usually 30 second to a 2 minutes. Gas Gauge is small button with 4 lights and as they go off , gas is being emptied. When it runs out, system beeps and I press button and moves to petrol, no stopping, no coughing etc.

I have always mean't to do exact number but overall I halved by fuel costs from $70+ a week to $30 to $35. Last check I went 440k, mostly highway on $30. On petrol that would be $70 plus. Also being dual fuel you can pick when to fill up. So when it cheap fill both and when high survive. And of course your range is double. I find no change in power, noting this is a manual ute.

Had minor issue 3 weeks old on install on first trip to Sydney where it LPG cut over to petrol half way there? and I went to local KING LPG associate in Alexandria SYDNEY and they found a loose fuse. Pushed in and all good. I was very happy with their service and it cost nothing being warranty. I would recommend them as they were flat out but the boss spent a lot of personal time trying to find the issue being challenged by it.

Also had a new computer at 12 months but that was a panel beater issue when they let water get into the loom in a respray which blew it up. They never admitted fault but also wiped their repair which equalled the computer being replaced. So if getting any service remember to note that with the service tech.

Each year a it gets $180 tune up. I services with mate for all other and nothing has changed.

A hidden bonus is the Coles Voucher. THis weekend they are offering 16 cents off for $100. With LPG at 60C that is a 25% discount. ALso BP offer a free LPG card which gets 2 cents off any BP station any where by showing it.

It did it to save money and never looked back. The payback for me even at full $3500 cost is around 20 months and almost there. As I propose to hold for years I am wining.

Lastly, insurance. I moved to Progressive as one of the few who would allow a an agreed valuation which I made $13k. Others did only "at market" ignoring the lPG and said $5k due to age. I said BS. It didn't add much cost.

Does it add value at sale. For me, Hilux, YES as it is common aftermarket option that is proven $ saver. For other cars like BMW, Range Rovers, (yes the X5 converts well) I don't think so, however Toyota appear to be most popular conversion after factory built Falcons and Commodores.

So if it suits your car, can go the donut option and a good reputable tech, then go for it.

Hope this helps, Peter 14.7

Kudos welcome;)

I would certainly second Peter that LPG works great on Toyota Hilux. I bought a 1991 Hilux 5 years ago which was dual petrol/LPG and had 300000 ks. Done over 100000 k's since. Only issues have been the solenoid? for changing over from LPG to petrol and back a couple of years ago and something that needed to be done to the gas tank when it was recertified. On gas it was cheaper to run per k than my wife's small sedan

look at using the money to buy a modern car. new cars like the mazda cx5 and mazda3 are getting around 7-8kms/litre

* should read litres / 100kms *

Last edited:
look at using the money to buy a modern car. new cars like the mazda cx5 and mazda3 are getting around 7-8kms/litre

Sorry but that's what they tell you :D It's not actually what you get :mad:
I have a new mazda3 and because I drive mostly short trips (with the odd freeway stretch) I get much worse mileage. It costs me about $65 to fill the tank and I get about 350 kms depending on the type of driving.

My husband gets twice the distance on his gas car for the same $$

I love my car but fuel efficient it's not :)

* having a calculation misfunction here * am talking litres/100.

anyway yeh our CX5 gets that no probs and as low as 6 cruising.

the mazda3 loan car I have today is running at 8.9. what does your computer say? there must be something wrong with it for those sorts of figures... how old is it?? have you checked your air filter and tyre pressures?

* should read litres / 100kms *

KM aside you are adding additional cost of depreciation, registration, insurance, etc... and change over cost.

One a pure conversion play. Gas Wins.

I also find Gas is more stable in pricing. I can easily get less than 60c a litre in VIC at the moment before any discount. ANd having dual fule means you can mix and match pricing. there was time when GAS went 80c for a month due ot supply issues and I converted back.

I will say CX5 is good car especially diesel but you are stuck with diesel only.

Peter

KM aside you are adding additional cost of depreciation, registration, insurance, etc... and change over cost.

One a pure conversion play. Gas Wins.

I also find Gas is more stable in pricing. I can easily get less than 60c a litre in VIC at the moment before any discount. ANd having dual fule means you can mix and match pricing. there was time when GAS went 80c for a month due ot supply issues and I converted back.

I will say CX5 is good car especially diesel but you are stuck with diesel only.

Peter

yeh just not sure about investing so much into a car that is almost at the point of being an economic write off. regn / insurance diff will be negligible, depreciation offsets maintenance. Tough decision... sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say this car will just get whatever cash it needs to keep going and cross your fingers it's kind. I tried that last car I had because I thought I was 'wasting' money on new cars... won't try that again. repairs and persistent depreciation were way more than the alternative depreciation and missed out on a nice new car! A simple car like a camry might be ok - who knows.

yeh just not sure about investing so much into a car that is almost at the point of being an economic write off. regn / insurance diff will be negligible, depreciation offsets maintenance. Tough decision... sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say this car will just get whatever cash it needs to keep going and cross your fingers it's kind. I tried that last car I had because I thought I was 'wasting' money on new cars... won't try that again. repairs and persistent depreciation were way more than the alternative depreciation and missed out on a nice new car! A simple car like a camry might be ok - who knows.

Yes, right on the money.

Camry are reliable and low issues. So if you are planning to hold it past the pay back and some then you are ahead.

I wish we converted our Subaru Forester 2005 when we moved bush but we thought, how many kms will we really do? We it was 30k now is 180k in 8 years. So should have converted.

On maintenance, you ahve to get the right car right time. Mazdas, Subarus, good Toyota etc. Nothing Euro, I had and have heard of only issues. Korean seem ok now but Chinese, well, that is a throw away car.

Both the Sub and Hilux have cost nothing extra, as did the 98 Subaru Imprezza we had. Where the 2003 Alfa Romeo:eek:

Like the CX5. Had a MX5 and it was great car.

Peter

Back