Cost to get New Light Switches & Power Sockets?

Does anyone have a rough idea on what it would cost to get New Light Switches & wall Power Sockets installed in a basic 2 bdr home. The current ones are a bit worn, stained and old. As I have just renovated, painted the house I would like to add the final touches. I don't want to spend too much and just want some basic switches and sockets put into replace the old ones. I will be renting this house out as well soon.

it depends on how many there are, where the IP is etc
they usually cost around $8ea to buy,
count them and then get a few sparkies from the local paper and give you quotes. They don't need to see the job to give you a price.

Buy the materials yourself ,and pay someone by the hour to fit.
That way you can get some nice ones,not off the shelf cheapies.

Shouldn't cost to much to fit,they can get materials cheaper than you,but will they pass on the savings to you?

A couple of hours all up I would say.Does anyone know how much a sparkie is by the hour?:eek:

Yeah I was thinking to buy them myself so I might do that. There are roughly 8 sockets and 8 light switches. 2 of the light switches are a mini size ones so I hope they still make them.

So what would a sparky charge at a guess, maybe $100 an hour?

They really are very easy to install' I do all of mine.

I am sure you know someone who can do them easily enough.

Want me to come and show you?

Yeah I was thinking to buy them myself so I might do that. There are roughly 8 sockets and 8 light switches. 2 of the light switches are a mini size ones so I hope they still make them.

So what would a sparky charge at a guess, maybe $100 an hour?

Since you are going to the trouble to replace them go for double power points and get a type which is nice looking and relatively cheap like the CLIPSAL 2025 power points and 2031VA switches
They come with a lid which you can take off when you're painting

They really are very easy to install' I do all of mine.

I am sure you know someone who can do them easily enough.

Want me to come and show you?
thanks for the offer but I better get them done by a licenced electrician as Painter said for insurance purposes. I also hate anything electrical, even if the power was turned off I would still feel nervous about dong any wiring :eek:

Since you are going to the trouble to replace them go for double power points and get a type which is nice looking and relatively cheap like the CLIPSAL 2025 power points and 2031VA switches
They come with a lid which you can take off when you're painting
Ok thanks BV, I will write that down when I go shopping but I guess they have to be the same size otherwise we would have to cut the wall?

If you need 8 powerpoints and 8 single gang lightswitches, go down to AWM/L&H/Middies etc and buy a box of each (10 per box).

You will likely pay less overall for 10 than 8 of each, as individual items are sold at a higher rate than a full box lot. Forget Bunnings, the only CHEAP powerpoints there are those crappy imported ones.

Then get a local electrician on an hourly rate. You will be surprised how quick he will do it.

Note that an electrician will buy them a little cheaper than you, but won't necessarily pass the savings on. He's in business. Why should he?

If you need 8 powerpoints and 8 single gang lightswitches, go down to AWM/L&H/Middies etc and buy a box of each (10 per box).

You will likely pay less overall for 10 than 8 of each, as individual items are sold at a higher rate than a full box lot. Forget Bunnings, the only CHEAP powerpoints there are those crappy imported ones.

Then get a local electrician on an hourly rate. You will be surprised how quick he will do it.

Note that an electrician will buy them a little cheaper than you, but won't necessarily pass the savings on. He's in business. Why should he?

I don't have a AWM/L&H/Middies in my town (Raymond Terrace) so I would have to go to H & D Hardware most likely and they have even less choice than Bunnings as well as more expensive. I'm looking into another idea at the moment and waiting to hear back from them but if I have to get an electrician then maybe it will be easier if I just negotiate with them for a good price if they supply them? I also need a stove fixed and a light is not working so I could get all this done in one go I hope.

Most sparkies would knock that job over in an hour. Most half decent sparkies wouldn't bother doing the job period.

Someone mentioned the hardware is $8... with labour I generally work off a figure of $20 - $25 per (double) point when I get a sparkie to do power and lights.

I can't get enough of them personally... I thought I was going to stay in my last house for a while so I got 40 of them (plus TV and phone in every room) put in a small old Queenslander. Then ended up moving out soon after. I'm sure the tenants appreciate them anyway :)

I just had 8 x energy efficient down lights and a fan/light installed @ $85 an hour (qld) i supplied. electy has to come back and move a down light because he put it right up against a beam! he says there is no chance of it catching fire but I am insisting he move it for piece of mind!

IP's in WA had to have safety switches and a couple of power points installed, power points @ $40 each :D

Does anyone have a rough idea on what it would cost to get New Light Switches & wall Power Sockets installed in a basic 2 bdr home. The current ones are a bit worn, stained and old. As I have just renovated, painted the house I would like to add the final touches. I don't want to spend too much and just want some basic switches and sockets put into replace the old ones. I will be renting this house out as well soon.

Are you talking out just replacing the covers?

They pop off easy enough, or the older ones had screws

images

Chux Magic Eraser does a good job getting grubby fingerprints off..

Something else to think about (if anyone cares) is that some light switches take more force to switch than others. I like the lighter ones that can easily be switched with an elbow if necessary.

Something else to think about (if anyone cares) is that some light switches take more force to switch than others. I like the lighter ones that can easily be switched with an elbow if necessary.

Or a nose, as I find myself doing occasionally when I am carrying a laundry basket :eek:.

I was once told by someone to just double all power points. Ie for every single put in a double. For every double put in a quad.

We have so many things to plug in these days. I would hate to count the chargers in my home!

Ok thanks BV, I will write that down when I go shopping but I guess they have to be the same size otherwise we would have to cut the wall?

The back of double power points is wider than the single ones
so if a double doesn''t fit you would either need to cut the gyprock or install a single.

Powerpoints are easy to change and provided you turn off the mains you could do it yourself.

However, the switches can be tricky depending on how many wires there are and if the replacement switch is from the same manufacturer so I'd get a local sparkie to do the replacement

Back