Cost to remove a tree?

Hi all

I’m looking at potentially purchasing this property as an investment. The problem is there’s a massive tree in the middle of the front yard. It’s about 3m out from the curb (on the property’s land). Diameter of the trunk is at least a good 1m and height of tree must be over 25m. The other issue is that a massive trunk of the tree overhangs the street powerlines (probably about 3m above the lines).

Would anyone have a ball park figure of how much this would cost to remove?

Council regulations allow this tree to be removed so it’s all fine from that aspect.

Thanks.

Check to see that it is not protected under council bylaw

Get a professional and insured to do it- 3 quotes.

If you choose an Islander bru just make sure you pin them down on a quote- don't go with the 1st they will lower it. On a Sat they'll do it cheaper sometimes- that is tithe to the church day so they don't care.

2 years ago we paid $600/tree for 5 gum trees to be removed (total $3000). Diameter of one was around what you said, and the rest were about half, so not sure how the cost was distributed per tree.

Probably looking around $1,000 due to power line issue etc but the only way to know for sure is look up a couple of local tree fellers and get them around for a quote.

Oh, this varies dramatically. We paid about $700 last year to have about 20 trees removed, one of which was getting near 1m diameter. The rest were scungy little things.

Of course now we have the large tree doing its best to return, its resprouting anything up to about 3m away from where it was cut down AND ground AND poisoned.

Manage to squeeze two quotes in this afternoon. One was $5000 and the other was $4500. The sheer size and the fact it's overhanging power lines were noted as the key factors for the high price.

Do these quotes sound reasonable? Seem very expensive to me after reading what has been quoted here...

You're probably paying for cherrypicker hire too, and that adds up. Our bloke was going to turn up with a cherrypicker and ended up just cutting the thing down and using ropes to control the branch falls. It was not fun to watch, and fortunately this was before we had our house built so there wasn't really anything the falling branches could take out. The only branch that could have hit something fell off by itself last year and missed the neighbour's dunny by about 10cm, still have the big dent in the fence to prove it.

We're in a small town and he is THE tree removal guy. He's cheap.

Quotes sound about right to me. A 25m tree above power lines is a big and dangerous job. Make sure you use a PROFESSIONAL company and don't just go for the cheapest quote on a job like this. Also check they have insurance and are qualified to do power line clearance.

Can you convince the power company to remove anything above the power lines at their expense?

Michealw recently had a tree removed by the appropriate power company saving him buckets. Can't find the post but maybe you can PM him to find out the details.

Cheers

I would have guessed about 4k to do the job, based on having a similar situation recently.

Cash would get a discount, you can't claim this as an expense can you?

Manage to squeeze two quotes in this afternoon. One was $5000 and the other was $4500. The sheer size and the fact it's overhanging power lines were noted as the key factors for the high price.

Do these quotes sound reasonable? Seem very expensive to me after reading what has been quoted here...

I have had a quote for mine recently in Brissie. $3,000 for two. They are huge, and sounds similar to yours. One overhangs the road and is on the lines.

The power crew I was told came and did there trimming around the powerlines at the top of the telegraph poles, but the cable / pay tv lines 3/4 up, and they are leaning on this.

My price is to get them stump grinded as well, so is a bit more work.

Cheers,

F

Back