Cost to subdivide block in Melbourne

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 603 m2 block of land that i would like to subdivide therefore making it a battle axe block. The block is in Melbourne and under the Hobsons Bay Council. I have been researching for a few weeks for costs and break down of costs to subdivide a block of land.

I was wondering if someone has in the past subdivided a block of land in Melbourne and could provide me with a break down of costs involved. I have tried doing this myself but i am pretty certain i have left out a few hidden costs.

Thanks for your help

Hodge

Hi Hodge,

Your best bet would be to contact a private town planner who can break down the costs for you.

From speaking with clients whom we have done subdivisions for you should expect a ballpark $25-30k total for a simple 2 lot land only subdivision. Obviously add building costs into this as well as servicing etc.

If you have any questions on the process feel free to shoot me a message.

Cheers,

Thanks Ashley for the helpful reply. Would you know roughly what the $25k - $30k includes? For example plans for the proposed dwelling on the newly subdivided land, soil tests, etc?

Thanks again,

Hodge

Hi Hodge,

Glad I can help you out.

Yes this includes soil testing and basic building footprint design. From our clients I've spoken with we can gauge this is the average start-finish cost with everything included.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Would be interested to know what exactly this amount of money includes. Is there any place I can read about it. Thanks.

Hi Rusky,

A private planner will be able to break down costs specific to your site and specific council.

I have a couple of documents I've prepared detailing the subdivision process in Victoria with all steps involved that I'm happy to email through.

Cheers,

This is my disclaimer before you read below before you start a flame fest.

I have worked this on a rough estimate on a subdivision in Knox which is probably one of the more difficult councils in many respects.

I have left things out. There are also things that are in their that may not be required. Knox city council require drainage, driveway to be in place otherwise require 200% bond on what they estimate or cost only refundable once the drainage is inspected by them. Other councils are much more sensible.

I have not included other fees for getting a building permit. Working drawings, soil test, structural engineering, energy rating, building surveyor etc are not included. Nore are "contribution fees" some councils want. Got a tree next door? You will probably need an arborist report $ or maybe even some hydro excavation to find the roots without damaging them$$$$

Biggest cost which I have not included are holding cost. Holding a negatively geared property for however long it takes has been known to mentally and physically break people. I have seen a divorce, many tears and the crowning jewel was a grown man ******* in the foyer of a drafting company then breaking into tears crying.
You have been warned best get advice from someone who has DONE a subdivision in the council that you are planning.

Land surveyor $2,000
Drafting $7,500
Council & advertising $1,000
Driveway & drainage drawings $1,000
Landscaping drawings $1,000
Planning Permit gets issued and plans endorsed.

Subdivision fees
Land surveyor $2,000
Council fees $1,000
Titles office $1,000
Telstra $500
SP Net & electrician $4,500
South East Water $2,000
Melbourne Water $2,000
Fences 100m x $40 p/m $4,000
Working drawing $1,000
Carport $6,000
New crossover $2,000
Drainage & driveways $20,000
Landscaping $2,000
Plumbing (existing house) $1,500

Last edited:
Hi Mick and Andrea,

I am currently building two townhouses. Most of the things you have listed, I have already completed or planning to complete soon. Does this mean when I apply for subdivision I will only need to pay for things I have not done such as Council Fees and Titles Office?

Thanx Imer

30k is pushing it at the low end for a two lot subdivision in my experience.

Depending on your council you will be looking at close to 25K just in headworks (infrastructure) fees payable to Council; this does not include the cost of you actually building the infrastructure (or connections) to service the block.

Then throw in surveyors fees, legal fees etc etc.

Thanks Ashley for the helpful reply. Would you know roughly what the $25k - $30k includes? For example plans for the proposed dwelling on the newly subdivided land, soil tests, etc?

Thanks again,

Hodge

The 30K includes none of the above in my opinion. You are doing well if you get legal subdivision for 30k.

Plans for proposed dwelling, geotech (soil tests) etc all comes later at extra cost.

Ashley would a council town planner be any good or does it need to be a private town planner?

You can do the planning yourself. Council planners will help with questions in general although they won't do it for you.

Planning Permit Charges and Obligations

Good day forum members

I am currently looking at properties on auction for building 2 or 3 x 3 bedroom units dbl-storey, in one of the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria.

I was told I need to get Planning Permit.

People tell me, Consultants or Draftsperson usually quote for the job.

Anyone knows, what happens if the Council rejects Planning Permit application at the end?

Do you still pay the consultant their fees or most of the fees?

Thanks a lot in advance, if someone could get back that would be great.

Cheers,

RR

Back