cup day rate cut

haha...TF, you obviously haven't read the Commercial Tenancy (Retail Shops) Agreements Act 1985. The contents of this particluar piece of legislation is nasty only to one of the parties (and it aint the tenant)

Boods

Isn't the greatest threat to the world as we know it in WA the twin evils of extended trading and daylight saving?

The TA Act would be a distant third I would hav thought ;)

haha...TF, you obviously haven't read the Commercial Tenancy (Retail Shops) Agreements Act 1985. The contents of this particluar piece of legislation is nasty only to one of the parties (and it aint the tenant)

Amen to that Boods.

70 pages of wet handbagging the poor dears.

It's not as bad as the Residential Tenancy Act, but it's pretty darn close.

I can't wait to finish doing up the shops, leasing them all out, selling up and getting out from underneath that horrible Act.

Get back to my normal C&I where when you write up an agreement that actually holds water, rather than being shot down by some hand wringing leftie legislation to protect the innocents of the world.

I think they will have to cut. Using their preferred measures of inflation the trend is very clearly down.

Id say 50-50 on this.

Inflation is slowing, but rising nonetheless.
Markets are very wobbly- down one day, but up the next.
Unemployment rose a bit, but not significantly.
The dollar has made wild swings in both directions.

All this uncertainty will prob move the RBA to wait n see as they usually do amid uncertainty.

I the near future [ next 2-4 months], they will almost surely cut rates. The main driver will be the implementation issues of the bailout plan in europe. The issues in europe [ not being able to successfully implement their bail-out plan] will undoubtedly stun markets, the dollar, and commodity prices [ flow on effects to US and china]- all leading to softer inflation and more unemployment.

Lucky for us, the RBA has plenty of room to move.

Lucky also for home owners- not only interest rates coming down, but there will be increased migration of skilled people from europe especially. There simply are not many jobs there, and as long as we have a relatively soft immigration policy, we should experience increased demand for housing.

Back to the original post- only 50-50 tomorrow- if we had more consistent downward pressure on the markets last week, then id say yes. Instead, the see-saw ride may likely see them just wait and see [ how eurpoe unfolds and its flow on to us] as they usually do amid uncertainty.

is 0.6% for an annualised 3.6% low inflation? I doubt the rba would think so.

They'll hold is my guess!

+1

doesn't mean the banks will pass on.

+1

my feeling is "no cut".

Things are not desparate enough for the rba to justify a cut as the economy is chugging along (albeit rather slowly). Methinks they would like to keep their power dry for if/when needed depending on the outcome of the g20.

Might be a cut december.

+1

Markets are very wobbly- down one day, but up the next.
Unemployment rose a bit, but not significantly.
The dollar has made wild swings in both directions.

All this uncertainty will prob move the RBA to wait n see as they usually do amid uncertainty.

I the near future [ next 2-4 months], they will almost surely cut rates. The main driver will be the implementation issues of the bailout plan in europe. The issues in europe [ not being able to successfully implement their bail-out plan] will undoubtedly stun markets, the dollar, and commodity prices [ flow on effects to US and china]- all leading to softer inflation and more unemployment.

Lucky for us, the RBA has plenty of room to move.

Lucky also for home owners- not only interest rates coming down, but there will be increased migration of skilled people from europe especially. There simply are not many jobs there, and as long as we have a relatively soft immigration policy, we should experience increased demand for housing.

Back to the original post- only 50-50 tomorrow- if we had more consistent downward pressure on the markets last week, then id say yes. Instead, the see-saw ride may likely see them just wait and see [ how eurpoe unfolds and its flow on to us] as they usually do amid uncertainty.

I was only going to quote the first sentence above and suggest basically what you said thereafter....after reading the whole post....Kudos!!

But if can add the emphasis on the bit where the RBA have room to move and quickly....we've seen it before...;)

finally some sense and reason. don't get comfortable tho people, this is just a sweetener to tide us over till the real game starts

Might depend a bit on what the banks do. Have heard comments in the media that they will be under pressure to pass on the whole lot.

Thoughts?

No cut this year for mine. The threat of rate rises has improved the savings appetite of the average punter and with 12 months of stability I'm no sure a rate drop would lead to any change in spending habits.

I suspect the RBA might prefer to keep their powder dry to deal with real trouble rather than the overwrought whinging of retailers we've been subject to the last year or so.

Don't you get tired of being wrong all the time?:p:p;)

Back