Cycling to work

Don't cycle to work now (takes me over 1/2 hour to drive) but used to cycle a lot years ago when I lived in Christchurch NZ, and still have the bike I bought there in 1978 or there-abouts (second hand even then). It still goes really well and I still ride it occasionally on weekends. It's a Carlton Competition touring bike, although Carlton was bought out around that time by Raleigh.

In Christchurch I used to commute everywhere on it, rain, hail, or shine - and often in temperatures around or below zero in winter. Coming off on black ice in winter was fairly common. Also used to ride around the Port Hills and Lyttelton Harbour regularly, and one Christmas rode home to my parents place in the lower North Island - about 330 miles in all, which took most of three days one way and then 2.5 days back again thanks to a tail wind (certainly couldn't do that now!). Had numerous close calls with cars, but only ever got knocked off once by a guy on a motor bike, one rainy afternoon just on dusk. It bent the front wheel and pushed back the forks a bit, but I got them straightened and while I have a different wheel now, the same front forks are still on there.

After I moved to Sydney, I rode with friends a number of times around the Southern Highlands, Kangaroo Valley, and other areas down that way, but now mostly just cycle around local roads and cycleways. Tried cycling to work a few times years ago, when I was working somewhere else, but it was too dangerous.

I've now had that bike for nearly 30 years, and if my wife ever said it's either the bike or her... well... I wouldn't like her chances :D.

GP

I used to ride to work, some broken bones later, rehab and fun with insurance companies and laywers I now walk to work not that changing rooms will make me fit.

JohnnyB, I cannot believe you rode along Gympie and Kelvin Grove Roads. I'd never do that in peak hour....though things are a lot worse now than 10 years ago.

3 rules to stay alive:
- be visible
- be predictable
- take the safest route

WW, the only reason I felt safe riding on those roads was because I followed MadMax2'sthe first two rules as well as one more:
- Own the lane

If at any time I felt unsafe I would just move further away from the gutter to force the cars to either wait behind me or go around me properly (as opposed to trying to squeeze between me and the cars in the next lane). I'm a very passive person, but when I am on my bike and a motorist tries to impose on my personal space or threaten my safety then I simply get in their way and stand my ground. Apart from psychopaths (which I never came across) this is the only way to be safe if you ride on a major and busy roads.

John.

If at any time I felt unsafe I would just move further away from the gutter to force the cars to either wait behind me or go around me properly (as opposed to trying to squeeze between me and the cars in the next lane). I'm a very passive person, but when I am on my bike and a motorist tries to impose on my personal space or threaten my safety then I simply get in their way and stand my ground. Apart from psychopaths (which I never came across) this is the only way to be safe if you ride on a major and busy roads.

John.

+1 from me. :)

This "owning the lane" is a new skill I've learnt this year, having always been a gutter hugger in my teens. Getting away from the gutter (3 feet I reckon) and from parked cars (about 5 feet) is a smart and safe thing to do. I've got to negotiate a few round abouts in my commute and for those I take dead centre position in the lane, I don't want to be sharing a lane in that situation.

It's something that few other cyclists seem to do, I guess it's bit counter intuitive.

happy riding :)

I also take the lane when my speed is comparable with the traffic.
The distance beween you and the side of the road tell motorists how much space you need when they overtake you. normally I keep 1 meter to kerb, and the cars give me the same on the right side. (except buses :mad: )

Most important to pass the parked cars with at least 1 meter gap. Drivers pop out of sudden, never looked for cyclists.

But when I slowly go uphill, (Bri is hilly place), I jump on the footpath. the safest route. the only danger there the private driveways

I either cycle or run.

Had a few close calls cycling and one bad hit in the past. Now I always avoid main roads (got hit on a main road), cycle with lights at night and wear a reflective shirt all the time. Cycling is pretty fun and I used to cycle to school / uni when I was younger - I like going fast.

I like running too. Although I'm inner city so it's not as tough.

Here's a very positive article in the Age on cycliing to work :) I'm looking forward to the letters tomorrow from car drivers defending their right to run cyclists off the road if we hold them up for 10 precious seconds :rolleyes:

Lay off the cyclists. They should be paid for commuting. We should be standing at the traffic lights handing them drinks and giving them towels when they arrive at work. The Government should be doing everything in its power to encourage and facilitate safe cycling in our glorious city.

Freedom Machines.

I live too close to work to ride plus i have a company car.

I am in "training" at the moment for the "around the bay in a day" ride in Melbourne coming up in October.

Having a busy family life, i do a lot of rding / training during the week, at night times. Have dinner, get kids ready for bed, then go out. Making sure it is totally dark, dusk is a dangerous time to go out, hard for cars to see u.

My night ride consists a 42km loop and i have got as high as 25.6km average, which i am trying to build on.

And then my weekend ride, which doesn't happen every weekend, it is usually a 100km loop. I don't get to do it every weekend but from now on, i think i will have to. The bay ride is 210km.

The best thing about riding is, you go places, on my 42km loop, i ride thru about 8 suburbs..............it is so relaxing, clears the head........and you get to push yourself, so when you get home, you nothing left in the tank :)

Its a real freedom machine.

Cheers

GG

Back