D.a. Approved Duplex Site

Council approved plans to develop two attached 3 bedroom attic style villas
When a property for sale has the DA already approved for a development as in two properties I have found in Western Sydney, is the DA only good for what has specifically been proposed or does this mean, providing its within council guidelines, alternatives can be built without applying for a new DA?
One property has a DA approved for "Attic style villas" so if i want could I build a simple single story villa instead without applying for a new DA?

Anybody know a good builder in Western Sydney?

Thanks
Greg

imo - "da approved" means the development application has been approved for specific plans that had been lodged with council. for anything else, or different plans, you will need to resubmit to council.

be aware - you are also paying a premium for a property that is "da approved" of up to $50k+ per site. if you want to do something different than what was already approved by council, you're better off finding your own block ... although, this does mean that, if you stay within the intention of what was approved, you should have no dramas getting your own plans thru council.

HI Grego

Can be a massive headache as you definetly will need a new da. In my experience with our block the designs which were approved had each gone up $50,000 (2 houses) so I decided to shop around. I found much better options and the builder adhered closely to the previously approved by council designs in terms of stormwater etc. However finally council knocked the new one back for no other reason than probably a different guy looked at it, but not until they requested additional information on 2 seperate occasions (wouldn't want to save time and request it all at once) and managed a stand-off with the engineers costing US precious time as the engineer got the poos that council were knocking back work that he had done and was approved previously. So it all ended up taking probably a year too long. Fortunately the margin we had was big enough to still put us $200,000 ahead but it would have eroded us seriously if there was only a small profit in it. So if you are going with it find out if the quote still stands and also that the da is still current because another little trick to watch out for is to make sure that the person selling or the builder unbeknown to the owner of the land didn't actually cancel the da and get a refund!

Good Luck!

Sparky

Grego said:
When a property for sale has the DA already approved for a development as in two properties I have found in Western Sydney, is the DA only good for what has specifically been proposed or does this mean, providing its within council guidelines, alternatives can be built without applying for a new DA?
One property has a DA approved for "Attic style villas" so if i want could I build a simple single story villa instead without applying for a new DA?

Anybody know a good builder in Western Sydney?

Thanks
Greg

You would need to submit a whole new DA if your ideas are dramatically different from what's already approved. If you're only after minor amendments then all you'd need to submit is called a Section 96 modification application.

A section 96 is a relatively easy process, but a new DA can be a lengthy one.

I know a builder in western sydney. I'd rather not put his details in the public domain so PM me if you want details.

Thank you all for the info, Haven't eyeballed the properties yet, however your replies let me know what to check
Regards
Greg

My understanding is also that of fellow forum members, in that a new DA will be required to change what has been approved.
A DA approved duplex site was recetly sold two blocks from me, the site had the slabs poured for both units and that was it, don't know what the sale price was but I'm going to find out.

KI

Hi,

I'm new to this site, but experienced in dealing with councils, builders and others in the building game.

Once the DA is approved, the next step in the process is to obtain a Construction Certificate (CC).

CC drawings must be practically identical to the DA. Councils and Private Certifiers are pretty particular about this. JoannaK is right, a Section 96 which represents an amendment to the approved DA under NSW Legislation, is a relatively simple matter opposed to a new DA.

An important point to remember is that DA's have a time limit on them (usually 5 years from date of determination) in which substantial work must commence lest the approval lapses. "Substantial work" is open to interpretation though usually constitutes excavetions and/or pouring slabs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cc

the other thing to check is the cost of the CC just because it is DA approved does not mean all the council fees are paid. The CC usually is an expensive part of the process

What are the obvious dangers?

Hi All,

I am new to this website and have not started property development yet. I want to buy land and build a duplex in the hope to sell it and make a profit.
Can anyone please point out the dangers of doing this and any past experiences.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

If there are DA conditions that read it carefully, sometimes council may want you to run a new sewer or have more footpath or road. This could cost you extra in constructions cost.

Back