Data cabling. Worth it?

Hey guys.

Just moved into a property I have purchased and I'm using the opportunity to do a bit of work on it before I rent it out again in a few years time.

Its currently 4 bed 1 bath brick home.

I'm refreshing the carpet and paint since they are pretty run down after being rented out for a while.

Im also going to add a shower into the laundry( already has a toilet in it ) to make it a "2nd bathroom".

My question is I want to get some data cabling done for my use. My question is about whether its worth adding data points in the areas I don't need it, but would allow flexibility for someone looking to rent it in the future.

Thanks

Hi mrbassman,

If your going to add it to one room,personally i'd add it to the other rooms whilst this is being done.Sure helps to have extra points imo when it does become a rental.

Cheers Spades.

Is it worth while when there's wi fi?

It's a serious question. I don't know the performance of wired vs wireless.

Yeh no way would I worry about cabling these days with wifi as good as it is.

In my experience, cabling provides much better reliability and therefore a much higher WAF (wife approval factor - essential for all home tech improvements)

I would do it. Hooking up printers or TVs or 'Personal cloud' is lot easier (& secure) with a RJ45.

Also no one really knows what 'wireless' stuff can do to young brains :p

I set it up for my latest build, but thats only because there was a very small chance i might live there one day. Either ways its handy to have. (It also depends on the cost, alternative is to run conduits up to the attic, at least it makes it easier to drop a cable down the wall).

Last edited:
i ran cable as wifi is pretty terrible really especially if theres interference

only good for browsing the internet and downloading

try and transfer a few 100mb files and its quicker to copy to usb and then copy back to the other pc

If wireless signals penetrate your walls easily, I would only cable what is needed immediately. I love my wifi, gives me flexibility to work wherever I like on whatever device I like. On the few occasions that I need a wired connection, I just plug the computer straight into the router. Extra outlets don't really add value to the property, unless you intend to use the property as several IT offices.

It depends on your target demographic. It would definitely be considered a plus for most young males that play any sort of games online. e.g. uni students or a share house of young professionals.

Definitely not needed for a rental. If living, only need wires to walls where you will be using desktop PCs, HTPCs and consoles...everything else is wireless these days anyway, and everyone has a smartphone, laptop and/or a tab.

Back