Dealing with real eatate agents, any good advice/strategies to not play their game?

Buzz, the $10,000 that i don't want to pay is because it's not worth it with all the work it needs.

So who buys these properties with structural issues? Just curious....

Yes, i did for my ppor. But it is a weatherboard and had to restump. Cost was around $7k. There were some replastering work as a result of the movement, but I was already going to add cornices in some rooms, so some of the extra plastering to address these was marginal. Realistically that extra work was probably around $1k.

Buzz aparently underpinning is a more serious issue that a house needs. If restumping was needed and new paint, floors polished then i'd be a happy lady.

I didn't want to write it off completely before i did some homework as to what underpinning costs, causes and if it's as catastrophic as it sounds.

Understand that. I had an IP a little ime ago that needed underpinning. It's cost to do that was in the ball park mentioned here.

I was simply spending to your question about who buys properties knowing that they have structural issues.

Unconditional offer? I wouldn't feel comfortable not making it subject to building inspection.

Angel, yes I absolutely paid for the builder's report. There is no way that i would go by one provided by the agent or owner!

Pav, time definately is on my side but i'm going to look elsewhere. If the price comes down again and i've found nothing then i may relook but i doubt it.

Thanks everyone for you advice, much appreciated.:)

Why would you need to make it "subject to" when you've already had the building report and know the condition, etc? :confused:

Seems to me you are already in a position of knowledge. The purpose of the "subject to" is to get a building inspection AFTER you've already put in an offer with the idea that the inspection will uncover anything that you couldn't/didn't see during your own viewing.

Wobblycarly, I made the offer subject to building inspection and finance.
She accepted my initial offer (after asking for more) so i had the building inspection done within a couple of days.
When the report came back with multiple issues I withdrew my offer and a few days later made an unconditional offer as my finance was unconditionally approved and I had a few days to research the problems with the house and potential costs.

I meant to say that if i don't get this property and i try for another one I'd still like to get a building inspection even though the finance is sorted.

Hope that makes sense!

Hi Chloe

Looking at the RE pics there is a real drainage problem with the house with a visible gully running along the back of the house where all the water from the back yard and no doubt the neighbors yards would be ending up.

As per Wylie's post it may just be a matter of providing adequate drainage away from the house to actually fix the problems that have been highlighted.

Again with most underpinning issues after the work it's a wait and see as the change caused by the underpinning can cause issues in unexpected places.

Cheers

PS Again based on the intended spend, now the bathroom and other areas is this really a good buy!!!

Wobblycarly, I made the offer subject to building inspection and finance.
She accepted my initial offer (after asking for more) so i had the building inspection done within a couple of days.
When the report came back with multiple issues I withdrew my offer and a few days later made an unconditional offer as my finance was unconditionally approved and I had a few days to research the problems with the house and potential costs.

I meant to say that if i don't get this property and i try for another one I'd still like to get a building inspection even though the finance is sorted.

Hope that makes sense!

Yep makes sense. Thought you were still talking about the same property.

Back