Dear Frankston, we have had enough from you!

Dear Frankston,
Our time with you has come to an end. We have decided to sell the property at a cut throat loss. Bought at the wrong time, every local PM worked for tenants, poor quality tenants, rent in arrears, threads to VCAT. Massive ripped off from tradies total forced to spend over a few tens of thousands of dollars not include those so called 'compensations'. Tenants don't pay rent and we still have to compensate them. Everyone just wana take advantage of us interstate landlords. Have had enough! Warning anyone buying interstate it is still ok if bought at a not so perfect time but if your PM is useless you are pretty much done. Thank you Frankston and bye bye we won't miss you a bit. :mad:

Can I ask why you bought in Frankston? I know the area. Capital growth is not great. Rentals in Frankston need owners to be hands on and close by because of some of the problems you mention.

Sorry to hear, Olive, sounds like you had a bad run with this IP - are you absolutely sure you want to sell this IP at a cut-throat loss? How about changing PMs, getting suggestions from the forum for good PMs and good tradies who won't rip you off and of course, the most important of all, getting good tenants. With strict proper screening, half-decent tenants can be found. I'm a slumlord too in worse areas than Frankston and to me stringent screening and selection is key to not getting your place trashed.

How to find a good PM? What to look out for?

While another PM currently looking after our Sydney Granville property is absolutely 7 star. Communication all through emails and phone, no difference to the dealing with our Frankston agent. Although it's only a short 30mins drive we've only met her once when some damages in the kitchen needed repair and some updates required. She organised all quotes and tradies to go in had appliances replaced, cupboard doors re-laminated, new carpet, new vanity, resealing, touch up here and there, full house clean etc all within an amazing few days so the property can be up on the market to minimize our rent loss. We eneded up only needed to pay just over $2k for the property to be ready to go again. Yes $2k! Not to mention about her professional advices and help bargaining her suppliers for a better price, no fear to claim bond (every single cents) for us, and she even kept an eye on the property take photos when she just so happen drove past. We cannot thank her enough! Plus we bought at the right time. Capital growth over $100k within 2 years. (Anyone bought in Sydney 2 years ago would hav good CG i guess)

And our Frankston PM on the other hand did everything the same but OPPOSITE! over $50k on repairs, min. Rent, min. Growth....we can't even refinance after a good 7 years of pain, what's the point holding on and wait for the boom time? By then we would of gone broke and would of missed out a lot of other opportunities.

So if you're planning to buy IP, if it is a house, make sure it doesn't have any 'potential' repairs such as ivy near the house, old warn fence etc because replacing appliances is no hard work while controlling mother natures is near impossible - if you have the time to watch it grow then ok. Ivy grows over fence line, into gutter causing blockage of drain, heavy rain fall, roof leaks....all these will not be mentioned in a building inspections. You really just need to use some common sense and think about it if you were to live in it for a long period of time, what would come off or collapse first. How would the garden look like and what would you need to do to maintain it. May be someone should invent a software with renderings of garden prediction and potential costs involved.

With the finding of a 7 star PM, I'd suggest recommendation from owners who have had problems is the one reliable way to go and it will benefit yourself and your pocket a long way. Those said my PM is very nice I recommend him is of no use. We don't pay nice people to not do their job. We pay those who can think outside the square and most importantly work for landlord, those who stand by you. Interview a PM with key questions such as how many bond claims he's done, who are the team of tradies they deal with, how does he handle nasty tenants, bring up as many difficult situations as you can and see what he says and why. Simply by judging the way a person talks can give you insight of what your looking at. How many pieces of real info thats useful to you within his 5 mins talking? Was that you feel really good coz he said it's a great property and you look fantastic? Or within the 5 mins he's given you an idea of the market and what touch up he thinks the property needs to achieve max rent?

We've learnt a good lesson. Just wana share with you. Hunting for another Syd IP now therefore still have to hunt another PM. Does anyone have other tips on finding PM to add onto the above?

Hi Olive,

You used this useless PM for the last 7yrs?

We had prob with our first agent, they are well known. We interviewed her face to face, then it went down hill. From one PM to few assistants to refuse to put the rent up and encourage tenants to seek compensation from us. Then we sacked them found another one, worked with him for 5 years. Really we didn't think that he was bad because some people just know how to talk just to make themselves look real busy. When your in it you don't see the problems. Not until we crunched the numbers and compared to other Sydney IPs we have to admit it was a wrong buy and suddenly the pic was clear that it was all deal to poor management otherwise those damages to the house wouldn't of gone so worst that we were forced to throw $20k in. If the work wasn't done would the house still be standing? Yes! It was the whole situation, indeed every situation, PM said as a landlord you must do this and that or tenants threat to VCAT and these are the quotes, usually very presentable and lots of description with prices that we believed reasonable in VIC. Our PM does not use his brain he doesn't speak up. He sort of makes things happen to his convenience and he keeps his tenants very very happy. We are time poor people rely heavily on PM.

How big is the land?

Reason i ask,you maybe able to get some $$$ back if it has devo potential.

I'm with you though,i'd be inclined to sell and cut my losses.

Bit of a shame to slag off a whole suburb over your poor choice of a property manager.

Agreed. We brought the wrong property, on a good street witin a good pocket. Its the property itself, plus PMs handling. There's a fact though most tenants are poor quality either late in rent or no pay.

Would like to hear those who made good profit from Frankston in the past 7 years, what property and how? I have a feeling those in my boat are far more then those who have made a bucket of gold. But I could be wrong.

How big is the land?

Reason i ask,you maybe able to get some $$$ back if it has devo potential.

I'm with you though,i'd be inclined to sell and cut my losses.

Just over 650 sub dividable, and the location. That's the only thing buyer would go for.

I don't think the OP is slagging frangers at all.

The OP has stated they over paid and the time and money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Imo,there are some great tenants in frangers? :rolleyes:

Even a good PM in frangers is a irrelevant when your tenant poole is like betting on Black or Red.It's the gamble you take imo.

That's why its important to research on what sorts of people are renting in the area. Professionals can afford the rent, young well educated people can afford the rent and are mostly very reasonable. Not like our past tenants, either a partner with teenage children, then he has a mate, the mate has a dog and a cat. Then there's a new born baby and the mother came lived there. Then the husband who had leg injury wanted to trim the overgrown vegetation for a reduction of rent and we could not believe our PM actually passed his quote on!

I don't think the OP is slagging frangers at all.

The OP has stated they over paid and the time and money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Imo,there are some great tenants in frangers? :rolleyes:

Even a good PM in frangers is a irrelevant when your tenant poole is like betting on Black or Red.It's the gamble you take imo.

Pfft, have a look at thread title. If that aint slaggin, my names Dick Smith!

Meh,The OP is sharing there experience.

Don't take it so personal seeing you have a vested interest in frangers.

In other thread on frangers,it has been out lined the good and bad.

The bad far outweighs the positives imo.

Best thing going for it,is that it has a beach.

Anyhow,i should invest in a methadone clinic,seeing there's 6 all in a couple of hundred meters of each other.

Back