Deer Park or Point Cook?

can vouch for that.

I'm still a beginner too,
IP in Laverton, sure would.
The area aound Laverton is home to a very large number of "permanent Causual" labour users,
CATerpillar, Davids holdings (Jewel supermarkets etc), Westgate Transport(coles myer), Sakata, Shell, BP, ASR, Commercial Polymer, The Jail, Comalco, P & O Coldstores
all have labour forces of 300+ in each of 3 shifts 7 days/week, where the staff are suppplied by contract labor hire services. These permanent workers are determined by the banks to be part time employees and they cant get loans. They do have net incomes of 1K+/week (I did I drove a forlklift at Westage) and the desire to live close to the beach close, to work, close to services. They all drive, they dont care that the nearest supermarket is 4km away. The area is well served, closer to town than anything else that isnt sold out months in advance. It has a bad rep, but so did Williamstown in the late 80s-90s, now houses in Willi are 1million+
The houses are like Heidelberg repat area, solid brick ex-RAAF houses, no maintainence requirement, small lots, no lawns to water, and the recreational facilities are spectacular.

I think Laverton will show continued capital growth, at least untill the median price matches adjoining suburbs, and in Melbourne is one of the few areas that is actually CF+
My husband works at Versacold which was P.O cold logistics, and he said the casuals earn up to $2000 per week before tax, some more, which is more than most in senior fulltime postitions there, and they do have a problem getting loans.

is deer park okay for renting?

just wanting to know more about deer park. we will be moving from qld for a year and renting (work commitments). Deer park has a new estate - the houses look good. Can anyone please provide me with as much info about the suburb - we have 2 young kids, is it safe, etc. Is the new childcare centre good? Anything else - or suggestions about where we should rent. My husband will be based at melbourne airport. Thanks

I have just put the deposit on the block of land in "the newest bay side community" as described on they web page.
Now reading on about problem in the Sanctuary lakes I am not so shore i have done good move as this is just next door and very much on the see level.
As the development is in its early stage the price is same as everywhere else in Poin Cook, so I thought this is a good investment for future, especially knowing that Sanctuary lakes land started off from relatively low land price and now that it is finished if you an owner of anything there you would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Does anyone have the opinion on the Sal****er Coast?

I have also put deposit because it is close to the beach, is there any problem with this area for building a home. Please kindly advise.

bloke, you misread,

Sanctuary Lakes original level is below/at sea level,
it was salt pans that flooded just by opening the gates in a dike
it was raised up by dumping demolished city buildings into the mud
the ground is H class, unstable at best, worse than H in places
there are pumps over the estate to pump the sea water back out to stop flooding
If you go here http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...144.754143&spn=0.092791,0.117073&z=13&iwloc=A
and look east, either by google streetview or driving past, you can see the first of the pump stations for Sanctuary lakes, a large metal box on the nature strip

the area you are looking at is much higher than the original ground level of sanctuary lakes the homestead across the road has not flooded in 100+ years

I have also put deposit because it is close to the beach, is there any problem with this area for building a home. Please kindly advise.
Cheatham Salt Works/Stupidity Lakes & Point Cook are NOT the same

Cheatham Salt Works/Stupidity Lakes & Point Cook are NOT the same

LMAO.... I bought my PPOR in SL in early 2007 and it is now 9 years old. It is not falling down, I don't have asbestos in my back yard, my house does not flood & I doubt it ever will unless 1/2 Melbourne does, Water is pumped INTO the lake as it is higher than skeleton creek which feeds into the bay (this is why there is a weir wall at the east end of the lake... outwards not in!)

But what would I know.... I just live and own a house here.... ;) Some might say this is bias, but I 'chose' to leave a 3 Bd Executive apartment on St Kilda Rd (walking distance to CBD) to live in "Stupidity Lakes" yet I don't feel I made a stupid decision....

Well, I'm off to play golf, followed by a light workout in the gym, quick sauna and spa, dip in the pool, followed by drinks & dinner at the clubhouse....Wow, I must be really dumb....

Have a great day! I certainly will.....

**edit: I just wish to note that in no way do I intend to offend or otherwise agitate any forum members. My comments are a reflection of my 'experience' on the topic and the constant bagging this area often gets. It is really nice living here.... Honestly:)

Last edited:
LMAO.... I bought my PPOR in SL in early 2007 and it is now 9 years old. It is not falling down, I don't have asbestos in my back yard, my house does not flood & I doubt it ever will unless 1/2 Melbourne does, Water is pumped INTO the lake as it is higher than skeleton creek which feeds into the bay (this is why there is a weir wall at the east end of the lake... outwards not in!)

But what would I know.... I just live and own a house here.... ;) Some might say this is bias, but I 'chose' to leave a 3 Bd Executive apartment on St Kilda Rd (walking distance to CBD) to live in "Stupidity Lakes" yet I don't feel I made a stupid decision....

Well, I'm off to play golf, followed by a light workout in the gym, quick sauna and spa, dip in the pool, followed by drinks & dinner at the clubhouse....Wow, I must be really dumb....

Have a great day! I certainly will.....

**edit: I just wish to note that in no way do I intend to offend or otherwise agitate any forum members. My comments are a reflection of my 'experience' on the topic and the constant bagging this area often gets. It is really nice living here.... Honestly:)

SL is not for everyone but prices surely have gone up.

i would stay there if i'm retired but if i'm working in CBD, that's a bit of a distance.

Water is pumped INTO the lake as it is higher than skeleton creek which feeds into the bay (this is why there is a weir wall at the east end of the lake... outwards not in!)
Then why are there pumps at the West end of the estate?
by your statement those pumps suck water from skeleton creek, pump it 500 yards past (under over or around) the lakes, turn it round and pump it back into the lake, higly unlikely.
ignorance=bliss,
be happy,
you never saw any land fill works
you didnt hunt rabbits on site
you didnt collect 'antiques' from buildings on site as you bulldozed them
you didnt drive truckloads of rubble from demolished buildings to the site
you didnt work on site at all
you didnt live next door during the works, my house- 284 Merton St
you didnt set foot there till after works were complete and the developers were looking for suckers
you moved in years after bulldozers levelled the land on top of the fill,
you never saw the property before it was a residential estate,

your ignorance of the construction is complete,

I was going to leave a phrase that may be offensive, so instead, "I believe your 'due diligence' in choosing your ppor is lacking"

what class foundation is your home built on?

Last edited:
Yeah, just visiting whilst either still on parole, recently off parole, or past guests of her majesty.

I dont know about you but I'd prefer other prospective tenants.

Please don't be so quick to judge. My mother is on that bus every week visiting my brother. She works really hard (mostly to pay his legal fees) and as a result doesn't have a lot of money. She DOES pay her rent though and she keeps that home in perfect condition. So much so that her landlord opted to not raise her rent this year to ensure she stays and is happy.

Point Cook prices are racing away!

Hi All,

Been following the sales in Point Cook (not sanctuary lakes) for 4 bed 2 bath 34 "ish" square homes on 600-800 sqm blocks for the last few months and saw a couple go under offer very quickly in the $580-$630k mark...i called the agent who confirmed the sales at $600k and $620k!!!

Before christmas similar size properties to these were selling for round $550k!

Heated market!

Now i am having thoughts....do i wait for the sales to register and get reval, go shopping, or sell because its mental and then go shopping.

Not really looking for anyone to answer the question....its just the first time ive really been in the position to think about it...and just update anyone whos interested in whats going on in that area.

Cheers,
Nathan

Hi All,

Been following the sales in Point Cook (not sanctuary lakes) for 4 bed 2 bath 34 "ish" square homes on 600-800 sqm blocks for the last few months and saw a couple go under offer very quickly in the $580-$630k mark...i called the agent who confirmed the sales at $600k and $620k!!!

Before christmas similar size properties to these were selling for round $550k!

Heated market!

Now i am having thoughts....do i wait for the sales to register and get reval, go shopping, or sell because its mental and then go shopping.

Not really looking for anyone to answer the question....its just the first time ive really been in the position to think about it...and just update anyone whos interested in whats going on in that area.

Cheers,
Nathan

Hi, I think the price of established property in Pt Cook picks up after the first home buyer bonus ceased/reduced. Prior to that the extra bonus from the gov was too hard to resist.

I was also surprised when I learned that the price in Pt Cook has picked up in recent months.

A mate of mine just bought a place in Pt Cook and it seems that most people are listing way above market price, and are dropping their prices after a month or so. So the asking prices you're seeing might well be way above the actual prices.

A mate of mine just bought a place in Pt Cook and it seems that most people are listing way above market price, and are dropping their prices after a month or so. So the asking prices you're seeing might well be way above the actual prices.

Thats what i thought may be happening...but the 2 specific examples had a sales range of $580-$630.

Actual sales prices were $600k and $620k...they were only listed a couple weeks and went unconditional 7 april...so very up to date.

Agent said he had multiple written offers...it seems the big quality single storeys on bigger than the current blocks being released are in big demand.

Cheers,
Nathan

This was what I observed last year. The price dropped after a few weeks. I am not sure whether it is still the situation now, probably not now.

Well I have brought a house in Deer Park.
I have lived there all my life.
22 years :D

Now I must say Deer Park is a place that the house prices have jumped ALOT! I want to buy my first IP in Deer Park.

your ignorance of the construction is complete,

I was going to leave a phrase that may be offensive, so instead, "I believe your 'due diligence' in choosing your ppor is lacking"

Yes Bob.... you are absolutely correct :rolleyes:

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all this equity I have accumulated and get out fast!

I didn't shoot rabbits, collect antiques, dump rubble, collect antiques or walk on the land before it was developed. Yes, this much is 100% true.

Another 100% fact is the lake is higher than Cheltenham wetlands, Skeleton Creek and the bay.... 100% fact. Actually the canal has been extended into Point Cook now, to act as flood drainage into the lake , over the spillway, and into the bay.... the reverse gravity theory is amusing though! ;)

Well I have brought a house in Deer Park.
I have lived there all my life.
22 years :D

Now I must say Deer Park is a place that the house prices have jumped ALOT! I want to buy my first IP in Deer Park.

Hi, totally agree with that: I have recently got my PPOR in deer park and I am witnessing 10% capital growth already. I am prepared to buy my next investment property. I am looking at suburbs like: altona meadows, seabrook and laverton..any thoughts?

Back