Deluge of mail for previous tenants from sherrifs, solicitors etc

Hi, we had a tenant evicted last year for non-payment and damage. The property is almost ready to re-let, however every day brings a tidal wave of mail for this woman's multiple aliases, all demanding money, threatening action etc.

There's two things that concern me - that this is not fair on the next tenant, and that bailiffs could try and take action against future tenants, or break the front door down or something.

Short of contacting every single company, is there anything I can do to make this go away?

Thanks

JB

Hi, we had a tenant evicted last year for non-payment and damage. The property is almost ready to re-let, however every day brings a tidal wave of mail for this woman's multiple aliases, all demanding money, threatening action etc.

There's two things that concern me - that this is not fair on the next tenant, and that bailiffs could try and take action against future tenants, or break the front door down or something.

Short of contacting every single company, is there anything I can do to make this go away?

Thanks

JB

No. Nothing you can do. Just keep returning the letters and they will decrease over time. Well, one thing you could do is pass on any info you have about them...

No one is going to come and break the door down either (except maybe the bikies:D). This doesn't happen in Australia.

JB

How do you know the content of the letters? Did you open them? I'm pretty sure it's not legal and could get you in trouble

I once had immigration show up at my door looking for someone who had overstayed his visa; they gave me a grilling thinking I was harbouring a fugitive!

Exact situation where I am. Former boarding house that has been turned into trendy terrace house.

Had the police at the door last week, and the previous tenant about a month before.

We just return to sender, no longer at this address. Can't do much else.

Oh - and change the locks.

Just return all mail to sender.

You can't stop mail through the post office. Someone has paid money to get those letters delivered. That's a contract. You can PAY money for the post office to hold or redirect YOUR mail though.

This is really common with buying slummy houses too.

Sheriffs notices, fines, debt collectors pile up. Just keep RTS'ing them until they don't come back.

When renovating one property, I had a debt collector come to the door and started going on a spiel about having the sheriffs around to seize property.

I laughed and let him know the previous owner sold the house 3 months prior.

Then there's the people looking to score drugs, or borrow money.

Says a lot about the properties I buy.

Just keep returning the mail, if that fails call the companies that are still sending mail, the debt collectors will stop once they know the tenant has moved out.

And the sheriff or repossession agent wont take anything from the new resident, there's a lot of hoops they need to go through and people moving house is something they deal with all the time.

As Cjay said, this happens all the time.

PS Any letters from us? :D

Just keep returning the mail, if that fails call the companies that are still sending mail, the debt collectors will stop once they know the tenant has moved out.

I've tried that. When we moved in to our house the previous owner had passed away and it was sold by the public trustee. We kept getting letters from a charity for the previous owner.

I tried RTS, letters kept coming.
I then tried writing RTS, previous owner has passed away, letters kept coming.
I eventually wrote in bold "addressee is DEAD - please note your records", letters still kept coming.

I'm thinking someone in the mail room just rips open the envelope, chucks it in the bin and doesn't see my messages.

It took probably five years before they stopped sending letters.

We built our place 20 years ago.

There's been no mail for the previous owner. Just a little bit of redirected mail.

When we had a postbox we had a postcard in or PO Box addressed to the Chinese premier. Same PO Box number but the PO address written on the card was in China. It was only a political protest card anyway.

We built our place 20 years ago.

There's been no mail for the previous owner. Just a little bit of redirected mail.

When we had a postbox we had a postcard in or PO Box addressed to the Chinese premier. Same PO Box number but the PO address written on the card was in China. It was only a political protest card anyway.

We're still getting mail for the previous owners after a year & a half from Sheriffs, ASIC, ATO, Vodafone & the list goes on.
Apparently he was a mad gambler, running some sort of dodgy side business & had to sell up which was quite good for us...
In the first few months we had visits from debt collectors at 5am Monday morning or 2pm Saturday afternoon...

Every now and then get some kind of superannuation statement from Denmark, not sure exactly, also some Scientology letters for the same previous tenant.

I had some scummy tenants in my PPor that refused to clean up after themselves and pay for their water usage. They did photoshoots in our house to set up businesses and use them for advertising. I don't get how they can continue to get rental properties or start businesses when they don't pay bills. I have sent debt collectors their business names. The bills keep coming here though.

Place I rented, the tenant did a runner and left no forwarding address. Owed about a grand or two in rent.

Few months later I accidently opened a letter to her, was a cheque for $22,000 backpay entitlements from a previous employer who had gone bankrupt.

Rang agent, they had nowhere to on forward it to, so the former tenants $22k was returned to sender.

We've been in this house for around 5 years now, maybe more. We still get letters sent to our previous address, then forwarded to us by our tenants. Most of these are from NRMA, for Lil, who doesn't even live in NSW anymore. NRMA have been notified numerous times by both Lil AND us.

Oh, & she doesn't owe them money either. It's renewals for their roadside assistance, that she had for free as a teenager. She never renewed it.

Back