Derby, WA - finally?

ive said for ages that Derby is NOT a viable alternative to Wyndham or Onslow.

those King tides dry the "fishing" jetty out, let alone building a major port, i think that would require serious dredge work, let alone the native title issue......

to me, if you were to work the edge of the tanami, just send it back to port, or onwards to darwin.

Nice update Redwing - you've gone way deep into the bowels of the archive to drag this one back out - but really good info for anyone considering the Derby area.

I don't know anything about Cockatoo & Koolan islands; certainly they're not on my agenda for no real reason. Do you see any particular opportunities there? I haven't even researched to see which companies would be attracted to them.

Apart from the obvious costs of living & opportunities to cash out of Broome, what do you think is drawing people to Derby as an alternative location?

Cheers,

Ian.

I have this really bad habit of asking questions about stuff which people have already provided the answers to. It's exacerbated when i'm tired and haven't been drinking enough! :eek:

'Night all.

Memo to self:

Hit the turps tomorrow night before going on forum so that I make more sense of what I think I might write, sort of.

those King tides dry the "fishing" jetty out, let alone building a major port, i think that would require serious dredge work, let alone the native title issue......

to me, if you were to work the edge of the tanami, just send it back to port, or onwards to darwin.

Have sent a couple of guys to Onslow recently...I'll ask for feedback on other issues and keep you posted :D

I have this really bad habit of asking questions about stuff which people have already provided the answers to. It's exacerbated when i'm tired and haven't been drinking enough! :eek:

'Night all.

Memo to self:

Hit the turps tomorrow night before going on forum so that I make more sense of what I think I might write, sort of.

Define enough :D

Have you been to Derby Aaron?

I ****** myself when I overheard a couple of locals in river rooster (i'm sure it was that, though KRAFT has set in) one day saying ' what would she know, she's only been here for about 30 years'

Have sent a couple of guys to Onslow recently...I'll ask for feedback on other issues and keep you posted :D

onslow is VERY interesting.

the port there has decent regional capability, but the town is landlocked by native title and development constraints - the biggest being there's no more water! 12 artesian wells have been down since the 1960s and there's been so much more exploration - more sophisticated exploration - and still the water corp can't find any more to allow the town to expand - even subdivide!!!

i've never been to Derby, i give all my armchair criticism from information supplied by my father-in-law who has tread pretty much every square metre of wheatbelt and ore country.

Due to the high prices in Broome, locals have been selling up, taking the cash and moving to Derby to live on their profits. End result is a steep rise in prices on the Derby market. have most likely hit its peak sans any major notification.

Really??? Have you been to Derby or Broome lately? The cost to buy into Derby is now on par with Broome and the rents are DOUBLE that of Broome. I have been living in Broome for a long time and am yet to know of anyone packing up and leaving Broome to go and live there (aside those that are in the construction business and are working up there during the week but as soon as they can on Friday afternoons they are straight back to Broome). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Derby, love the social life and the people but give me the Cable Beach over the boggy marsh any day ;).

I think you will find the steep rise in prices is due to a) the Curtin Dentention Centre being re-opened, b) the prison development and c) the Nickel and Gold mining that is going on all over the Kimberley.

onslow is VERY interesting.

the port there has decent regional capability, but the town is landlocked by native title and development constraints - the biggest being there's no more water! 12 artesian wells have been down since the 1960s and there's been so much more exploration - more sophisticated exploration - and still the water corp can't find any more to allow the town to expand - even subdivide!!!

i've never been to Derby, i give all my armchair criticism from information supplied by my father-in-law who has tread pretty much every square metre of wheatbelt and ore country.

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...?ItemId=144499&minister=Barnett&admin=Barnett

More than $250m for Onslow from Wheatstone deal

Premier Colin Barnett today released details of the infrastructure package which was negotiated as part of an agreement between the State Government and Chevron Australia Pty Ltd to enable the development of the Wheatstone Project.

Mr Barnett said the investment in Onslow, had been developed in consultation with the Shire of Ashburton.

“By the time Wheatstone starts exporting LNG in late 2016, Onslow’s long term population is expected to more than treble from 700 to 2,200,” Mr Barnett said.

“This growth will include Wheatstone operational staff, contractors, business owners and additional Government employees and their families, who make the town their home, as well as up to 200 fly in fly out workers.

“The project is expected to create 6,500 jobs at peak construction.

“In addition Chevron will also build a new gas fired power station to meet Onslow’s electricity requirements and increase the town’s water supply by building a desalination plant,” he said.

There is also a fund to contribute towards new land development costs, courtesy of our good friends at Chevron. This will be a heavily manipulated property market until further projects get built IMO. I'm not keen on being a pawn while watching Chevron face off against the WA govt over the detail that will need to happen behind this announcement.

Back