Diamonds. How to understand grades/carat

Hi!

I went Xmas shopping yesterday and have secretly remembered for months now my wife saying that she would like a diamond pendant with white gold chain.
So.. I bought one for her!

I've looked on the net and found that I cannot seem to find anything on the 'codes' for grading your diamond.

I have some weird codes on the receipt, some I remember was 20p (20 point?)
18w (don't know what this is) LCIT(don't know what this is either.

FWIW the necklace was just as much as the pendant, which I wasn't expecting.
I hope she likes it!

Thanks guys.

http://www.pricescope.com

All you need to know about diamonds is on the forum above. When time comes to purchase 'the ring' for the future mrs, i'll be purchasing from either:

http://www.whiteflash.com
or
http://www.goodoldgold.com

all the diamonds sold here in AUS are a massive rip for crap.

You can buy something from a high end jeweller like Tiffany and Co, but you will pay for it, and you can still do much better.

I'd highly recommend you sign up to the pricescope forums, all the info is there about cut (in depth), colour, clarity etc...

I spent a good 6-12mths just reading up on that forum, that when i went into Tiffany & Co was pffered a job if i wanted to work there and do some certification as the manager was shocked at my knowledge (not a career i want to get into!)

If your in melbourne, Garry Holloway is a fantastic jeweller (CutNut on pricescope forum) and he has a shop in Camberwell.

If highly not recommend purchasing from a 'shopping mall' store!

Thanks guys, I still can't really find what my codes mean..

I purchased from a large chain jeweller, even then I've bought a few high end rings this past year from the same outlet and they differ quite a bit in terms of white gold quality..

Hi!

I have some weird codes on the receipt, some I remember was 20p (20 point?)
18w (don't know what this is) LCIT(don't know what this is either.

Hi investor2009,

It looks like 20p is a .2 Carat diamond.

I believe 18w may refer to the pendant being 18k White Gold.

Can't help on the LCIT.

The main qualities for a diamond are clarity and carats.

Hope your girl loves the pendant.

I bought my wife one when we first started going out and she still wears it every day.

Her engagement ring puts it to shame $$ wise ect but she still loves it.

Last edited:
The markup that shopping centre jewellers place on their items are out of this world. I understand that like any business it's about profit but it's quite disgusting how much the difference between nett price & the sale price often is !

I second the site pricescope.com - there is a ton of good information there

To the OP's point

20pts refers to carats - i.e. 0.20crts. I also believe that 18w could possibly mean 18k white gold. In anycase, if you are looking for the "ratings" for the 4 C (i.e. cut, colour, clarity, carat), I dont' think it is standard practice to do so for something that small...

Back