Distance between benchtop

Hi All,

Have just had my new flat pack kitchen delivered for a current renovation and have had a realization that my kitchen is HUGE and larger than I had expected.. When I say huge, I am meaning in relation to the home size (smallish 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom 80's built brick veneer).

I am after opinions on the recommend distance between benchtops.. The kitchen I have ordered has a distance of 1500mm which I feel is slightly larger than normal. Unfortunately my kitchen/dining is incorporated into the same area there for the larger kitchen has reduced my dining area to approx 3 x 2.8m.

I have made the return bench width 900mm to allow sufficient underbench space for breakfast bar.

Basically it is too late to make changes as all items are cut to size (including bench tops) although worst case I can rip my 900mm sink cabinet down and reduce the space between cabinets to 1200mm?

I'm probably just over-thinking and would prefer a large kitchen over a small one so should just get to it! Keen to hear thoughts/feedback anyway! :D

IMG_4149.jpg
IMG_2838.JPG
IMG_3645.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg

Is Photo No 4 the finished area? If so, I don't think that is too wide. My kitchen is an unusual layout with a narrow island bench in the middle of a narrow room. I have about 800mm to work in and the other side of the island is 800mm. It is fairly tight, but without major changes, I'm stuck with it.

I'd love more room to swing a cat (though our kitchen works well for one or two people).

Of course, if your dining room is squashy, maybe cut down the overhand on the bench (if possible) because if you have a table right next to it, who will sit at the island?

Is Photo No 4 the finished area? If so, I don't think that is too wide. My kitchen is an unusual layout with a narrow island bench in the middle of a narrow room. I have about 800mm to work in and the other side of the island is 800mm. It is fairly tight, but without major changes, I'm stuck with it.

I'd love more room to swing a cat (though our kitchen works well for one or two people).

Of course, if your dining room is squashy, maybe cut down the overhand on the bench (if possible) because if you have a table right next to it, who will sit at the island?

Hi Wylie,

Yes photo 4 shows the kitchen which I set out last night just to get a feel for it. As I've increased the length and width of main benchtop (3057 x 900mm) it just seemed huge! I should still be able to have around 1m around all edges of my dining table so if you are able to work with 800mm then i should be fine!

I don't think cutting my bench top width is an option unless I was to re-laminate which I really don't want to do ($$$).

Send Hodge a PM - he makes kitchens and is a top guy. I'm sure he'll have no probs providing feedback.

Cheers

Jamie

I think it's fine, Dan - especially if there will be times when two of you are in there.
I have to say when I saw the first photo I thought, 'Hey, I really like those dark veneer doors and that thick white benchtop.' Then I realised that was not the new kitchen.
I'm putting in a flat pack kitchen right now, too. Not sure of the final cost yet, but I'll do a thread on it. What did yours cost?

Scott

I think it's fine, Dan - especially if there will be times when two of you are in there.
I have to say when I saw the first photo I thought, 'Hey, I really like those dark veneer doors and that thick white benchtop.' Then I realised that was not the new kitchen.
I'm putting in a flat pack kitchen right now, too. Not sure of the final cost yet, but I'll do a thread on it. What did yours cost?

Scott

Thanks Scotty,

Haha yeah sorry I just grabbed a couple of pictures from my phone which were at different stages but nonetheless show the space that I'm working with.

Kitchen cost me $7k including the premium soft close draw runners, soft close hinges, custom width pantry unit, benchtops, kickers etc. Aussie made too! Was all delivered flat packed last night. Then I spend another $1000 on bargain appliances. Bought mine from Kitchens U Build in Bayswater, Vic. Quality so far is great!

Who did you go with? I almost went with the bunnings but thought id spend the extra $1k or so and get premium quality.

There is a kitchen guy near me I have used for all sorts of stuff over the years - I once even got him to order me a 5m x 2.5 piece of ply from the US and cut it to size for me.
When I have done kitchens or other things over the years, I usually take a cutting list down and they cut and edge the bits and I invariably miss something or bugger up a measurement.
This time, he said, 'Scott, we're both getting too old for this. Give me the room measurements and we'll do a proper flatpack.' So far so good. The cabinets are together (half a day) and benchtops and door/drawer faces ordered. It's amazing how cheap soft close stuff is these days.
I did a few things that Bunnings/Ikea would not have been able to accommodate and I do worry (perhaps wrongly) about the quality of their stuff.
I'm not sure of the cost yet, but I will report.
Appliances will be second hand Smeg from eBay.

And so as not to disappoint anybody here, the kitchen will be another green one (though more olive than lime this time). There could be some orange bits again, too.

Keep it at 1500mm. Any less and it will be too cramped. I'm working on a kitchen and they only have 1m between benches. Very impractical but not much they can do about it.

I've just finished a Masters kitchen in my place. Very pleased with it. Good quality and as synch to install. $2600 including a $350 rangehood.
$720 for the benchtop fitted

Back